Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&R Marketplace - Arcade and Retro 3D Printing Service

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now THAT is a great idea.
    I butchered my Super Nintendo to allow me to play NTSC US carts on it, once it was modded, with a Dremel.
    It's be super sweet to have a more professional job done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Its definitely printable, the hardest part would be designing it or getting a 3D file that's actually accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Hi Steve,
    I was wondering if you could print these 3D parts for this USB Sim Racing Handbrake, they're in the zip file attached to this post.

These are the quantities.

backplate.stl x 1
    potentiometer_bracket.stl x 2
    potentiometer_guide.stl x 1

The colour does not matter as these parts won't be seen.

Here's a video of the project.

Thanks a lot,
    Doge.

And if anyone is interested in creating their very own Game Frame, albeit a smaller one sized 16cm x 16cm, you can find the STL file for the Grid attached to this post.

Here's a link to the leds I ordered:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-pcs-16x16-Pixel-WS2812B-LED-Heatsink-chip-Digital-Individually-addressable-led-module-Panel-Flexible-DIY/1666100743.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2afa4c4dqaZ0BR

And heres a link to all the parts required along with the schematic:

https://imgur.com/a/Wp1VR

Sure, grid printing at the moment.

rTX5uEn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi Steve, just remembered when i seen these posts, are these two things something you would be able to print for the millennium falcon im making?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2636332

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2815647

Files seem to be there to download for free, if its hassle i can just order them through that website i think anyways. Those two parts arent in the standard kit.

Thanks

Hi Steve, just remembered when i seen these posts, are these two things something you would be able to print for the millennium falcon im making?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2636332

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2815647

Files seem to be there to download for free, if its hassle i can just order them through that website i think anyways. Those two parts arent in the standard kit.

Thanks

Are those parts the right scale? They are really tiny and some sections will not print due to the size(nozzle size vs smallest section to print).
    If they are the right size I'd recommend getting shapeways to do it with their pro printers. If i printed them they would look sort of like what you want, but would be missing details.

I can have a go if you like and see what we get :)

Yeh i think they are the right scale, the links say they are for the deagostini falcon which is the one im making. so should be right, the chair for example he says it can print in sections not one piece and i can glue it together. I dunno though i dont really know anything about 3d printing you would know more than me, if you think its worth a go sure fire away, how much do you think it will cost to print them out? pm me to talk about it if you dont mind giving them a shot. thanks a lot

Yeh i think they are the right scale, the links say they are for the deagostini falcon which is the one im making. so should be right, the chair for example he says it can print in sections not one piece and i can glue it together. I dunno though i dont really know anything about 3d printing you would know more than me, if you think its worth a go sure fire away, how much do you think it will cost to print them out? pm me to talk about it if you dont mind giving them a shot. thanks a lot

I seen the chair in sections, thats the way to go for sure.
    Listen, its tiny so will print/fail quickly and cost basically nothing(my print program estimates about 5c). I'll give it a go and see what it looks like, if its really bad I can dump it in the recycle bin :)

The other things look fine i think as they are a bit bigger and box shaped.

Model loaded:
    Q1Zvs5z.jpg

And model sliced for printing with a wide plastic brim to hold the small pieces in place.
    3cWGrWf.jpg

And to get an idea of the size, here it is next to a famicom cart sleeve I printed the other day.
    ZeIyMgG.jpg

Where's the banana for scale? ;)

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Where's the banana for scale? ;)

There ya go :)

04h1Zun.jpg

Haha they do look small. It’s hard to tell even with the Banana if they are scaled right. I think they are? The original cockpit seats are tiny. Here is an image of those ones. It could be right, if its the same size... thanks for giving them a go

after.jpg

Haha they do look small. It’s hard to tell even with the Banana if they are scaled right.
    [/IMG]

:pac:

Thats just a joke on one of the 3D printing sites where you can request a quote!

haha i knew that... :o ahem..

Haha they do look small. It’s hard to tell even with the Banana if they are scaled right. I think they are? The original cockpit seats are tiny. Here is an image of those ones. It could be right, if its the same size... thanks for giving them a go

after.jpg

I'm thinking they are scaled wrong then. Thats a 1 Euro shopping trolley coin next to it. Which is a good thing, if i can get the correct scale or close to it the print will be fine.

0TepxZJ.jpg

Do I need to try find that out ? Or can you just eyeball it based on the euro in my image ?

To be honest I’m happy with close enough. That one you are printing is going in the hold part of falcon so as long as it’s roughly the right size I’d be happy.

Do I need to try find that out ? Or can you just eyeball it based on the euro in my image ?

To be honest I’m happy with close enough. That one you are printing is going in the hold part of falcon so as long as it’s roughly the right size I’d be happy.

I can eyeball the chair no problem. It's the other command console looking parts you want pinted I'm not sure about. If they are the wrong scale as well I've nothing to compare them to.

ah yes cool. its a different dude on there maybe he has that to scale. but based on a euro for scale again, and knowing how big it should be myself, i would say the very top of that console should just slightly come over the top of a euro coin. It wouldnt be as tall as the chair i dont think, im not much help here i know!

Here's the chair after i guesstimated its scale based on the euro coin. The command console is also there, but i haven't rescaled that yet, does it look too small?

5rZMpaW.jpg

I think that looks ok to be honest. The console thing , if you where to imagine someone sitting in that chair, if they stand up then that console should be at waist height where the slope begins and the top should be chest height. So I think that looks good. Thanks again

• Advertisement

That's done Doge. PM sent.
    kVYCi8V.jpg

Thanks for everything Steve. Your work is a great asset to the community.

It's hard to get the detail on such a small print, but i think it looks ok and once you clean it up a little, glue it and paint it should be fine.

The below were just a test print for the sizes, how do they look Optimus?

vqTH8oS.jpg
    D3uqnu7.jpg

Also, in keeping with the open source nature of the model and 3D printing in general here's the modified file on Thingiverse(I've set it as a remix of the original)
    I'll update it once Optimus confirms the chair fits, is to small or too big.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3078517

Looks great Steve! , do you want to send me those test ones so I can see if they are scale in it before you print them ? Or just fire away I don’t mind. They look good.

Also just on the thingverse link , these go in the Hold of the falcon not the cockpit.

Looks great Steve! , do you want to send me those test ones so I can see if they are scale in it before you print them ? Or just fire away I don’t mind. They look good.

Also just on the thingverse link , these go in the Hold of the falcon not the cockpit.

I'll fix it up a little and do the proper print. If they dont fit I can do it again as it's a tiny amount of plastic that's needed. I actually fixed up a few bits for that deagostini model yesterday that people had posted as most were just not printable(bad models with errors etc). So with the other prints next to the chair and console I think its right(I printed some barrels and misc bits that go in the hold with the console thing).

I'll use the same stuff I used for Doges job, an ABS/Nylon mix that's pretty strong. I'll update the thingiverse file to reflect its for the hold, cheers for that.

Is it still called a Navigator chair?

Cool , that’s great thanks a lot Steve ! It’s actually referred to as the Navigation Chair , it goes beside the navigation console in the hold. It’s the one han is sitting on in the A new hope when he is talking to Obi Wan while luke is using the ball thing for lightsaber training.

There are some other bits I’d like to get printed down the road too for it but so far I can’t find the files for download for free 😉

I was looking to get some barrels /crates for t down the road as well.

Cool , that’s great thanks a lot Steve ! It’s actually referred to as the Navigation Chair , it goes beside the navigation console in the hold. It’s the one han is sitting on in the A new hope when he is talking to Obi Wan while luke is using the ball thing for lightsaber training.

There are some other bits I’d like to get printed down the road too for it but so far I can’t find the files for download for free ��

I was looking to get some barrels /crates for t down the road as well.

Well you can have the barrels and crates I was using to test the scale.

This is the chair, yes?
    tMOWzw3.jpg
    VqedOty.jpg

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Well you can have the barrels and crates I was using to test the scale.

This is the chair, yes?
    tMOWzw3.jpg
    VqedOty.jpg

Cheers , yeh that’s the one. That console now isn’t the other thing you printed. The one you printed is from the opposite end of the falcon and wasn’t really shown on screen.

• Advertisement

These are the barrels and crates. Not sure if you can use them, but you might as well have them just in case.

X9WF0FS.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement