Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Murph_D

• 30-08-2018 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Murph_D

Time to kick off this thread again and the next A/R/Tist in the Spotlight is Murph_D, a forum member who always has excellent and frequent advice in the threads that I have been a part of since I joined and I’m sure many others. Murph_D has been here since 2011 I believe and has experience to share with everybody here whether you are running marathons or on the track where recently achieved some excellent PBs.

So I’ll kick it off:

1. How many marathons have you run?
    2. Which was your favourite?
    3. What’s your favourite distance to race?
    4. What are your pbs?
    5. Your favourite food after a race?

So bring on the questions everybody.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

1. Donegal or Dublin, to live?
    2. Vices?
    3. Bucket list races left to do?
    4. Can you dance?
    5. Four other Boardsies to join you on a run, who?(no diplomacy you have to pick 4).
    6. Favourite Dublin watering hole & why?
    7. DCM, best race ever, yes or no and why?
    8. Boards, what does it mean to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Fantastic choice.

1. Favourite running session?
    2. How and why did you get into running?
    3. Favourite hobby other than running (if there is such a thing)?
    4. If you could travel to anywhere in the world, cost not an issue, where would you go?
    5. Hansons taper - too much or just right (asking for a friend)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry if these have been asked!

1. How long have you been running and any sporting background prior to running?
    2. Single best piece of running related advice you've ever received
    3. Single piece of advice you'd give to someone training for their 1st marathon
    4. Have you had any major turning points in your running career?
    5. Favourite item of running related gear - gadget or apparel etc.
    6. Read a book or watch a movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

1. What's your favourite thing about running?
    2. What's your least favourite thing about running?
    3. Parkrun, yay or nay?
    4. What running shoes do you wear?
    5. Lyon's or Barry's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Kellygirl wrote: »

So I’ll kick it off:

1. How many marathons have you run?
    2. Which was your favourite?
    3. What’s your favourite distance to race?
    4. What are your pbs?
    5. Your favourite food after a race?

Cheers K - appreciate the kind words. Enjoyed your very informative spotlight stint, and thanks for the nomination.

1.Ten marathons and one ultra to date: Dublin 2012-2017, Berlin 2014, Cork 2015-2016, Boston 2016, Donadea 50k 2017. Raced all except Dublin 2014 (pacing the mrs) and 2015 (official 4:30 pacer).

2. It's hard to pick a favourite. Cork 2015 is probably the one I ran best, and satisfying as my first sub 3:30. Boston is a very special event - just huge in terms of scale as you get the impression that the whole city is behind it, so that was a unique experience despite the very warm conditions we had in 2016.

3. That's a good question and tough for me to answer. Probably 10 miles, although I haven't had a good one since Ballycotton 2016 (although I think I left a sub-70 out there that day).

4. PBs:
    50k - 4:18:30 (Donadea 2017)
    Marathon - 3:22:11 (Dublin 2017)
    Half Marathon - 1:34:17 (Charleville 2017)
    10m - 71:33 (Ballycotton 2016)
    10k - 43:19 (BHAA K-Club 2018)
    5m - 33:53 (Raheny 2017)
    4m - 26:24 (Dunboyne 2018)
    5k - 19:48 (St. Anne's parkrun 2017)
    2m - 12:56 (Raheny Summer Series 2017)
    3k - 11:39 (Club time trial)
    2000m - 7:49 (BHAA Trinity Track 2017)
    1m - 5:46 (Graded meet, Morton 2018)
    1500m - 5:21 (National Masters, Tullamore 2018)
    800m - 2:27 (National Masters, Tullamore 2018)

Think that's all the distances. A few other odd distances at cross country but those are about position, not time/ :)

5. Post-race favourite food - if it can't be a pint of Guinness, a banana will do. Partial to those Fulfil bars too, but way overpriced! Post-LR favourite is scrambled eggs on toast - quick, nutritious and delicious.

Great intro questions, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Murph_D wrote: »
    Cheers K - appreciate the kind words. Enjoyed your very informative spotlight stint, and thanks for the nomination.

1.Ten marathons and one ultra to date: Dublin 2012-2017, Berlin 2014, Cork 2015-2016, Boston 2016, Donadea 50k 2017. Raced all except Dublin 2014 (pacing the mrs) and 2015 (official 4:30 pacer).

2. It's hard to pick a favourite. Cork 2015 is probably the one I ran best, and satisfying as my first sub 3:30. Boston is a very special event - just huge in terms of scale as you get the impression that the whole city is behind it, so that was a unique experience despite the very warm conditions we had in 2016.

3. That's a good question and tough for me to answer. Probably 10 miles, although I haven't had a good one since Ballycotton 2016 (although I think I left a sub-70 out there that day).

4. PBs:
    50k - 4:18:30 (Donadea 2017)
    Marathon - 3:22:11 (Dublin 2017)
    Half Marathon - 1:34:17 (Charleville 2017)
    10m - 71:33 (Ballycotton 2016)
    10k - 43:19 (BHAA K-Club 2018)

5m - 33:53 (Raheny 2017)
    4m - 26:24 (Dunboyne 2018)
    5k - 19:48 (St. Anne's parkrun 2017)
    2m - 12:56 (Raheny Summer Series 2017)
    3k - 11:39 (Club time trial)
    2000m - 7:49 (BHAA Trinity Track 2017)
    1m - 5:46 (Graded meet, Morton 2018)
    1500m - 5:21 (National Masters, Tullamore 2018)
    800m - 3:27 (National Masters, Tullamore 2018)

Think that's all the distances. A few other odd distances at cross country but those are about position, not time/ :)

5. Post-race favourite food - if it can't be a pint of Guinness, a banana will do. Partial to those Fulfil bars too, but way overpriced! Post-LR favourite is scrambled eggs on toast - quick, nutritious and delicious.

Great intro questions, thanks!

Fair play for agreeing to these questions D. I might concoct one or two later myself. Weird that both our 10k and 10M PBs are identical! (me - 10k Fingal 2017, 10M Kilcock 2018)

OOnegative wrote: »
    1. Donegal or Dublin, to live?
    2. Vices?
    3. Bucket list races left to do?
    4. Can you dance?
    5. Four other Boardsies to join you on a run, who?(no diplomacy you have to pick 4).
    6. Favourite Dublin watering hole & why?
    7. DCM, best race ever, yes or no and why?
    8. Boards, what does it mean to you?

Cheers Barry.

1. For now, Dublin. Retirement in Donegal, possibly. I do love running up there, and would like to do more of the Donegal Grand Prix races.

2. Vices, moi? :D I probably drink too much, have a sweet tooth to rival TbL (The Skittle King), and I eat too much junk food as well when the mrs isn't looking. Don't smoke since 2011 and was never interested in recreational (or prescription) drugs.

3. London marathon, but have to qualify first - need a 3:20 to do that. I would also like to race a marathon in every city where I've lived. I'll cross one of those off this year in NY, but that will still leave Washington, Charlotte, Frankfurt and Paris (to say I 'lived' there is a bit of a stretch, but any excuse!)

4. Dance - never could and never will. Doesn't stop me though, as long as no one is looking. ;)

5. I genuinely can't answer that. I've had the pleasure of running with many boardsies and every one has been interesting and worthwhile, and there are many more with whom I'd love to have the pleasure.

6. That's a tough one too. Torn between Mulligan's and The Long Hall, probably the latter if you told me it would be my last. Why? I like places with a long history, where you can get a sense of the city's character (and characters). I gravitate towards what are now sometimes called Old Man Pubs (i.e. anywhere with a decent pint of Guinness and no piped muzak and preferably no TV either).

7. While I have yet to master the Dublin course, I do believe DCM is a fantastic event and a credit to the city and the country. The move to Sunday has been fantastic in terms of expanding its popularity, and I hope that continues. The Dublin crowd is also fantastic - although Berlin and Boston are comparable on that score, at least of the others I've done. Is Dublin the best race ever? Probably not, but who cares, it's ours!

8. Boards has been a very valuable resource for coaching advice and other running related information. The BBS 'architecture' is somewhat dated now of course (like myself), and the likes of WhatsApp and Strava have taken over some of its more 'social' features - but for me it's still a better environment for long-form discussion, and it's more difficult to troll than the likes of FB or Twitter. More importantly to me, because it's a discussion forum that relates to an activity that takes place in physical space, and a small one at that (Ireland), it has been the source of many genuine 'real world' friendships with likeminded people - that's by far the most meaningful aspect.

More great questions, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

1 - What are the top 3 mistakes you've made in terms of training over the years
    2 - What are your training\running strengths
    3 - What are your training\running weaknesses
    4 - Will you go back to the track next year?
    5 - Are we going to see more of you on the xc circuit this winter?
    6 - 3.20 for the marathon, I think its there (and we've chatted about this before), is it something that you're going to go after?
    7 - Are FBOT01 and FerrisB brothers?

Fair play for agreeing to these questions D. I might concoct one or two later myself. Weird that both our 10k and 10M PBs are identical! (me - 10k Fingal 2017, 10M Kilcock 2018)

First Bungy Girl, then you! :pac:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0yM3Zh9TwtE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Have you ripped up the transfer form yet?

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »

1. Favourite running session?

Thanks, Huzzah!

I'm partial to tempos - say 20 mins at LT pace. I don't always pull it off well but always feel great when I do. I don't particularly enjoy speed sessions when doing them, but I really felt the benefit this year of running lots of 200s - say two sets of 4x200 at mile pace or faster, with 200 jog recovery and full recovery (e.g. 5 min jog) between sets. Tack these on to the end of a LT session (as Jack Daniels does) and then you have yourself a workout!
    2. How and why did you get into running?

It happened by accident rather than by design. Classic sequence: quit smokes. Join gym for motivation. Do the odd treadmill run as part of routine. Get to 3k. Then 5, 6, 8 10k. Enter a 5k race for the craic. Enjoy the race-day buzz and get hooked. That's how it was for me, back in 2011/2012.
    3. Favourite hobby other than running (if there is such a thing)?

Don't have any other hobbies as such - running replaced golf for me (I was crap at the golf, and marginally better at running, so it was a no-brainer). There are other things I enjoy - going to the cinema, gigs, playing guitar (not very competently, and not very often these days).
    4. If you could travel to anywhere in the world, cost not an issue, where would you go?

Japan is on the list. But my favourite country is Greece, and there's lots more of it to discover. So far we've been to Athens, Santorini, Naxos, Crete, Rhodes, the Peloponnese, the mountains and Vikos Gorge near the Albanian border, Corfu - it's a fantastic country with wonderful, generous people.
    5. Hansons taper - too much or just right (asking for a friend)?

It's perfect. My marathon and half PBs are off Hanson plans, so can't fault them, and they worked better (for me) than the Pfitzinger equivalent. But really, as we've been discussing a bit lately on the sub-4 thread, it's what you bring to the plan (in terms of base mileage, carrying out the schedule well, and preparing well for the sessions) rather than the plan itself that gets you there in the end.

ariana` wrote: »
    Sorry if these have been asked!

1. How long have you been running and any sporting background prior to running?

See above. Running since 2011 - soon after I turned 50. I’d tried a few times before but it never ‘took’. Used to play Leinster Junior League soccer in my 20s, but pretty much nothing in my 30s and 40s, along with a very sedentary lifestyle.
    2. Single best piece of running related advice you've ever received

“Relax and let it in” - Tunguska, I think, in relation to pain management. I’m still a novice at this aspect but getting a bit better.
    3. Single piece of advice you'd give to someone training for their 1st marathon

Go for your potential best time. Save the “enjoy the day” marathon for later.
    4. Have you had any major turning points in your running career?

A few. First 14-mile MP run - convinced me that I could do the target time (I was wrong, but didn’t miss by much!) Another was joining a club and making consistent interval training a year-round thing. Team racing - helping start the M50 tradition at the Cru - has been formative too. It really helps you get that extra little bit out of yourself to try and be one of the scorers, or if not that, a spoiler at least. And the Trinity Track moment last year that encouraged me to give the 800m a rattle this year.
    5. Favourite item of running related gear - gadget or apparel etc.

Without doubt, favourite apparel is my Waterford HM souvenir woolly hat. Gadget - my Garmin 235, although I’m learning to depend on it less. The optical HRM is not very reliable (for me) however.
    6. Read a book or watch a movie?

Do you mean a choice? If there’s a cinema option, I’ll choose the movie every time. At home, I’d probably read the book (or try to do both at the same time, therefore badly. I am a film fan but not so much home cinema, and I dismantled the surround sound system years ago when the kids were pulling all the knobs off!

You’re welcome.

Got one for you: what’s the spare single quote at the end of your username about? :D

ReeReeG wrote: »
    1. What's your favourite thing about running?

The opportunity to explore, the sense of freedom, and the space to be with your own thoughts (OK that’s three things). That’s why I stopped listening to music or podcasts while running years ago (even though I love music and podcasts).
    2. What's your least favourite thing about running?

Like many runners, I can get a little obsessed by it and it can be a bit all-consuming sometimes. It’s a good job my wife, A, runs too, and understands the compulsion. Obviously being injured is the worst part though (I’m having a little back trouble at the moment and feeling a bit twitchy as I haven’t gotten out in a few days.)
    3. Parkrun, yay or nay?

Oh yay. I’ve run 108 parkruns and volunteered more than 70 times. In fact I ran the first Irish parkrun, in 2012 at Malahide, although it’s not on my record as I’d forgotten my barcode and didn’t have the gumption to ask for a reprieve. I’m in the event photos on Flickr though, if proof is required. :)
    4. What running shoes do you wear?

For road, Saucony Omni. I’m on my 14th pair. It’s a stability shoe.
    Puma Haraka (XC).
    Asics Gel Enduro (Trail)
    Saucony Endorphin (track).

I also have a pair of Adidas Sequence Boost in the road rotation, and a new pair of Asics Gel Phoenix ready to go. I don’t have a particular attachment to any of these (except maybe the Endorphins), but when I find something that seems to work I generally stick with it.
    5. Lyon's or Barry's?

Lyons all the way! Especially after a log run (with the aforementioned scrambled eggs on toast).

Thanks for the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good choice :)

1) Which is easier to achieve? A sub 3 marathon or a sub 90 round of golf?
    2) How many murderers do you know?
    3) What's your favourite brand of cigar?
    4) Which parkrun has the best pacers?
    5) How come you fantasise about dry retching before every marathon you run?
    6) Where does The Sting rank in the greatest movies of all time?
    7) (i) Who's your favourite actor? (ii) Does Ferris B agree with your opinion?
    8) How come journalists can't spell or use proper grammar anymore (never mind write anything worthwhile)?
    9) Did I ever give you back the €20 I borrowed from you in Berlin?
    10) What time over what distance would you most like to achieve before you eventually pack it in?

Thanks!

Duanington wrote: »
    1 - What are the top 3 mistakes you've made in terms of training over the years

Not sure I know enough about training to answer this properly! But if you insist:
    1. Not enough recovery after the first marathon, which had taken more out of me than I realised, to the extent that I got injured and had to abort attempt No 2.
    2. Not getting enough sleep. I’m a bit of an insomniac, but I don’t help myself very much in this area.
    3. Ignoring S&C, even stuff that I enjoy like pilates.
    2 - What are your training\running strengths

I’m good at following the plan, and at getting advice from those who know better when I have to deviate from the plan. I do the work, although I could do more. I know what my training paces are and stick to them, even if it means running the club sessions by myself. :rolleyes:
    3 - What are your training\running weaknesses

I don’t race as well as I train, no doubt about that. I don’t go deep enough into the ‘pain cave’. Still treat races more as a time trial than compete with the people around me.
    4 - Will you go back to the track next year?

Yes, I think so, although maybe not with the same extended 6-month focus.
    5 - Are we going to see more of you on the xc circuit this winter?

Definitely! Doing more XC has helped all aspects of my running, and nothing hurts as much, so it’s probably the best thing I can do to help with the pain management.
    6 - 3.20 for the marathon, I think its there (and we've chatted about this before), is it something that you're going to go after?

Yep, I want that London qualifier and will possibly target a spring 2019 marathon to do so. I’d be confident too.
    7 - Are FBOT01 and FerrisB brothers?

Ha ha. Twins! They seem to be a bit estranged (from Boards anyway).

Cheers, DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

See above. Running since 2011 - soon after I turned 50. I’d tried a few times before but it never ‘took’. Used to play Leinster Junior League soccer in my 20s, but pretty much nothing in my 30s and 40s, along with a very sedentary lifestyle.

“Relax and let it in” - Tunguska, I think, in relation to pain management. I’m still a novice at this aspect but getting a bit better.

Go for your potential best time. Save the “enjoy the day” marathon for later.

A few. First 14-mile MP run - convinced me that I could do the target time (I was wrong, but didn’t miss by much!) Another was joining a club and making consistent interval training a year-round thing. Team racing - helping start the M50 tradition at the Cru - has been formative too. It really helps you get that extra little bit out of yourself to try and be one of the scorers, or if not that, a spoiler at least. And the Trinity Track moment last year that encouraged me to give the 800m a rattle this year.

Without doubt, favourite apparel is my Waterford HM souvenir woolly hat. Gadget - my Garmin 235, although I’m learning to depend on it less. The optical HRM is not very reliable (for me) however.

Do you mean a choice? If there’s a cinema option, I’ll choose the movie every time. At home, I’d probably read the book (or try to do both at the same time, therefore badly. I am a film fan but not so much home cinema, and I dismantled the surround sound system years ago when the kids were pulling all the knobs off!

You’re welcome.

Got one for you: what’s the spare single quote at the end of your username about? :D

Not a very interesting answer i'm afraid... it was a bl00dy typo or slip of the finger when i was registering :pac: And it wrecks my head because it's not actually a normal single quote\apostrophe so i have trouble logging in on some devices such as my phone because i can't find the character from the normal range of characters/symbols available :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Same Birthday also.

aquinn wrote: »
    Have you ripped up the transfer form yet?

(For those who don’t read my log, this relates to my move from aquinn’s club, which is taking place during the AI ‘transfer window’ in September.)

Sadly no.

The move wasn’t taken lightly, because I’ve had some great experiences at my old club, Crusaders. But it also feels right to move on, although I too will miss the Tuesday over and backs to Irishtown with aquinn and/or BG, Ferris, and Singer, depending on who is injury-free and available. :)

Aquinn will be fine - on her first week I introduced her to one or two people but by week three she knew more of the members than I did!

In fact I probably know more members of the new club, through running and volunteering at St. Anne’s parkrun, and of course a good few of them are on here too. It feels right.

Both clubs have mottos that suggest membership should be for life, but A and I have always been open to shaking things up every few years. Change isn’t always good, but it’s always challenging, and it’s a strategy that’s served us well over the years.

Shamrock it is (for now). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

(For those who don’t read my log, this relates to my move from aquinn’s club, which is taking place during the AI ‘transfer window’ in September.)

Sadly no.

The move wasn’t taken lightly, because I’ve had some great experiences at my old club, Crusaders. But it also feels right to move on, although I too will miss the Tuesday over and backs to Irishtown with aquinn and/or BG, Ferris, and Singer, depending on who is injury-free and available. :)

Aquinn will be fine - on her first week I introduced her to one or two people but by week three she knew more of the members than I did!

In fact I probably know more members of the new club, through running and volunteering at St. Anne’s parkrun, and of course a good few of them are on here too. It feels right.

Both clubs have mottos that suggest membership should be for life, but A and I have always been open to shaking things up every few years. Change isn’t always good, but it’s always challenging, and it’s a strategy that’s served us well over the years.

Shamrock it is (for now). ;)

You're coming to us?? Hurray! Welcome! (disclaimer: aquinn's club is also great)

aquinn wrote: »
    Same Birthday also.

Yes, this is indeed true :)

However, in our six clashes this year, D leads 5-1, which I'm sorry to say makes me a very weak "nemesis" :pac::pac:
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    You're coming to us?? Hurray! Welcome! (disclaimer: aquinn's club is also great)

I was hoping to read something along the likes of :-

"HELENANNE: WHY I WOULD NEVER JOIN THE CRU"

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

but A and I have always been open to shaking things up every few years.

Have ye always been this kinky?

1. Favourite street in Dublin ?
    2. Favourite Dublin area ?
    3. Best parkrun (apart from St. Anne's) ?
    4. Royal or Grand Canal ?
    5. What, if any, sports particularly interest you nowadays (apart from athletics) ?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    1) Which is easier to achieve? A sub 3 marathon or a sub 90 round of golf?

Look who the cat dragged in. Thanks P. You obviously have a good memory for long run conversation topics. :pac:

I thought the Dick Hooper rule was sub-80? The sub-90 golf round is definitely easier than sub-3 marathon as even a crap golfer like me has achieved that modest landmark. And if even TbL can’t run a sub-3, what chance have I got? :D
    2) How many murderers do you know?

Still only the one. A kid I used to sit beside in senior infants, as it happens, who was convicted in the 1990s of offing his missus. :eek: Grisly, but I don’t think they’ll get a podcast or HBO series out of it.
    3) What's your favourite brand of cigar?

Is there a Havana marathon? ;)
    4) Which parkrun has the best pacers?

St. Anne’s has the best bibs anyway. And the best sub-20 flying wedge formation.
    5) How come you fantasise about dry retching before every marathon you run?

This is a fair question. But the fact is, when my HR gets maxed out, that is often the result, which I assume is a stress reaction. It doesn’t happen in anything shorter than a 5k so I assume there’s an element of time involved - ie a certain stress for a certain duration. I know that if it’s happening towards the end of a race I am emptying the tank properly, that’s why I don’t worry about it too much.

That’s my theory anyway. If only my Garmin HR monitor was better, I’d have better evidence. But I’ve looked it up and Dr. Google says it’s a thing.
    6) Where does The Sting rank in the greatest movies of all time?

According to this list, recently found on the internet, it’s No. 1. ;)
    7) (i) Who's your favourite actor? (ii) Does Ferris B agree with your opinion?

Have I told you I think Tom Cruise is underrated?

I’ll ask Ferris - he’s always willing to give an unvarnished opinion, although he doesn't seem to rate anyone except Matthew Broderick, funnily enough. Speaking of murder mysteries, don't ask him about Love/Hate whatever you do.

Seriously though, I don’t really have a favourite, although I admire actors who (unlike Tom Cruise) make interesting choices, like Ryan Gosling or Kristen Stewart.
    8) How come journalists can't spell or use proper grammar anymore (never mind write anything worthwhile)?

I blame the media schools. And of course the internet. ;)
    9) Did I ever give you back the €20 I borrowed from you in Berlin?

You did! Very promptly, the next time I saw you, in McGrattan’s post DCM 2014. (Surprised there was any money left by the time I got in.)
    10) What time over what distance would you most like to achieve before you eventually pack it in?

There are a few goals that I think are achievable. There’s a good bit to come off the mile. If I had to answer the Marathon Talk question, I'd chance 5:30. But the most satisfying would be a decent marathon time. I think with the right prep, and the right course, and a bit of luck, I could get down to 3:10. Would need to be doing it sooner rather than later though. I'd definitely light up a Cuban after that one.

Thanks for asking!

And thinking some more about Q7, Michelle Pfeiffer, around the Fabulous Baker Boys era.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great choice. Hopefully I'm not repeating any questions;

1. What's the worst you've ever felt in a race ie when, where and why?
    2. Aside from Dublin what's the best race you've taken part in?
    3. Do you have a favorite distance to race?
    4. Have you enjoyed your XC experiences?
    5. Whos your hero?
    6. Proudest moment outside of running?
    7. Biggest disappointment in running?
    8. Best Guinness in Dublin?
    9. Best moment in the history of professional athletics?
    10. Crisps or chocolate?

Yes, this is indeed true :)

However, in our six clashes this year, D leads 5-1, which I'm sorry to say makes me a very weak "nemesis" :pac:

Who’s counting? :p

NIA, Trinity (2), Garda XC - what were the others?

Who’s counting? :p

NIA, Trinity (2), Garda XC - what were the others?

K Club (which I shouldn't have gone near for anything other than the grub)
    Dublin Masters XC

Have ye always been this kinky?

Ooh, matron!

1. Favourite street in Dublin ?

Cheers, J.

Hmm. That’s a difficult one. We’ve destroyed a lot of the best streets, especially O’Connell St., which should be magnificent but is mostly tacky. South William St. maybe? With a stop at Grogan’s. :)
    2. Favourite Dublin area ?

Not Temple Bar anyway! If I could live anywhere I’d probably choose the East Mountain side of Howth. In the city I’m partial to the Docklands area. And D3 of course. I like where I live.
    3. Best parkrun (apart from St. Anne's) ?

Corkagh. Very good course.
    4. Royal or Grand Canal ?

Jingle jangle. Royal all the way!
    5. What, if any, sports particularly interest you nowadays (apart from athletics) ?

Used to be a soccer fan but totally over it, can’t stand the amount of gamesmanship in the modern game. I can watch Ireland, but purely for tribalistic reasons, obviously not for the quality of play.

GAA (football) has plenty of gamesmanship too but is generally more exciting. I like rugby’s willingness to change rules to make for more entertaining play, but it’s still rugby. :p

Probably watch and attend more GAA than anything else. Up the Dubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

1. Your worst running-related injury?
    2. What's your profession?
    3. Most embarassing moment of your life?
    4. Most scenic place you've ever run?

Advertisement