Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocked how the guards didn't care about stolen wallet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

lovelife92 wrote: »
    I am very disappointed in the services. My wallet/purse was stolen for the first time last week in the city centre. All my IDs, cards everything was in it, has been very stressful/ frustrating knowing someone could possibly be using or selling my identity.

I went down to the guards and told them. I expected an alert would be sent out on my name if anyone was to use it on an ID or something like that. I was told it was probably thrown away at this point and just to order new ID and cards?

Is that normal? There is literally nothing I can do?

OP the chances that someone is selling your identity or using it is slim. Wallet thefts are more for the cash and cards rather than identity.

There's no such system for alerts. The only alert for something stolen that I know of is reg plates as they will known then if stolen reg plates are used in a robbery etc. Also think about that logically - would the guards then have to respond when you were reapplying for the cards yourself?

What you can do is inform your bank, cancel your cards, get a new driver licence and look for any suspicious activity on your bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Lethal Wallet?

"Your diplomatic immunity just got Stolen!" BLAAM.

Who wouldn't watch that movie?

I'd watch:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

So, apart from adding sympathy, which is a given, what help have you been?

None. None is the answer.

As for your own inferiority complex, take it to personal issues. You're welcome.

Lol as for your own inferiority complex leave it here, it's wide open.

You're quite welcome...

Lovely chap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I am very disappointed in the services. My wallet/purse was stolen for the first time last week in the city centre. All my IDs, cards everything was in it, has been very stressful/ frustrating knowing someone could possibly be using or selling my identity.

I went down to the guards and told them. I expected an alert would be sent out on my name if anyone was to use it on an ID or something like that. I was told it was probably thrown away at this point and just to order new ID and cards?

Welcome to Irish law enforcement.

If you're ever unfortunate enough to be the victim of a more serious crime like burglary or car theft, you no know what to expect from Ireland's elite law enforcement professionals.

I had to batter a junkie to get my wallet back one day.

The gardai barely acknowledged the theft.

After I got home, I realised they didnt even bother to ask why I'd battered a person in Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

After I got home, I realised they didnt even bother to ask why I'd battered a person in Dublin city.

Many years ago, my father was out walking his dog early one morning and found a dead body, he rang the cops who asked him to stay where he was until they arrived. They turned up fairly quickly and then just told him to be on his way - they didn't even take his name!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Many years ago, my father was out walking his dog early one morning and found a dead body, he rang the cops who asked him to stay where he was until they arrived. They turned up fairly quickly and then just told him to be on his way - they didn't even take his name!

Much less serious example but I walk to and from work, and often see a heavily disabled child/teen of about 14 being assisted walking with a minder - I have never seen him walk alone. He is physically capable but I would guess it is some kind of extreme autism or something because he just grunts and grunts and appears completely non-verbal with major motor issues.

Anyway one day a few weeks ago I was walking home and spotted him jump the back of a house wall right by the pathway I take and right by where I usually see him and sprint off in the direction of the main road, so figured it was his house. I quickly took myself in to the neighbourhood, found the house, rang the bell a few times and had no answer despite there appearing to be someone home. Called to two of the neighbours, who said they didn't know the family but that it was the house he lived in, and that they never see him let out on his own. Tried that house again a few times, and no joy.

After 15 minutes or so I rang the local Garda station just to notify them, and on the off-chance if they were familiar with him having done anything like this before and putting himself in harms way. They didn't know him, so I explained the situation (motor skills, non verbal, always assisted, etc) and was looking to give my name and number just in case he went missing and anyone needed any info. Not only did the guard point blank refuse to take my number, he then spent several minutes mocking the whole thing - "oh he just leapt out on his own did he? It must be a miracle I suppose!" type stuff.

I left my number with a neighbour and thankfully nothing came of it. I didn't want to be doing a Ms. Lovejoy but but having a heavily disabled sister myself I was worried in case anything might happen, and what if he'd jumped in front of a car, or gone running up the Dublin mountains that I'm at the foot of, where finding him would be an absolute nightmare? The attitude of the guard was nothing short of disgusting to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Theyre really incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Allinall

Much like many of the posts here.

Our world isn't nearly that connected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Sometimes there's a happy ending:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

Found a stripped motorcycle frame in a green area behind my house ( housing estate in dublin). Figured i would call the local garda station to let them know. I thought they might get a stolen motorcycle off their book's using frame number n stuff.
    I was making my way back to my house to make the call when I saw a garda car driving towards me on the estate road not rushing or using lights. They were looking right at me, i decided to wave them down, they both turned their heads towards the hedge on the opposite side of the road, pretending they could not see me, and just drove on. Obviously they did not know why i was trying to wave them down. Imagine if it was a serious matter. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

If your post is anything to go by, you were probably the perfect target for theft. On the back of this, I wouldn't worry about identity theft - wouldn't be that noteworthy.

Classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

A friend of mine found a wallet when we were walking in town. He went up to a Gard and told him he'd found it and the Gard said 'What do you want me to do about it?'. My mate put it in a post box. Couldn't think what else to do. Before the days of social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Which is very easy to say, but hard to implement effectively.

What do you think they could do? I'm sure AH would be happy to take a look at your suggestions and take them apart from a realistic angle. :D

Look after your stuff. Don't use your back pockets. Be aware of the weight in your front pockets should someone slice your jeans with a blade. Don't trust strangers who come near to your body. That's it essentially.

Have police walking around undercover looking to be pick pocketed. Look up cctv. Have a car or a patrol in known risk areas.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/police-arrest-suspected-serial-pickpocket/

Of course we’d have to have a functioning judiciary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Have police walking around undercover looking to be pick pocketed. Look up cctv. Have a car or a patrol in known risk areas.

If you take the Luas or bus out west from Dublin City center chances are you'll see or hear some junkie or other harassing passengers to some degree, but you'll likely not see any law. They've no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Great quote for the public attitudes survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Being honest, I'd have done the same if I was a guard. They're right too I think. Cancelling your cards is the best and only option at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

What kind of alert were you hoping they would send out ??

Seriously, it’s a wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

s8n wrote: »
    What kind of alert were you hoping they would send out ??

Seriously, it’s a wallet

The Wallet Alert Tracking System

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

MAJJ wrote: »
    The Wallet Alert Tracking System

In fairness NATO only track Santa one day a year, maybe they could track wallets on the other days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You should always have your wallet secured to you with a sturdy lock and chain. Matt Talbot had the right idea

• Registered Users Posts: 35,820 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Loosely veiled crime does pay thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I'm sorry you were robbed OP :(

Shocked? no
    Why bother with the effort involved to put them in front of a judge to give them their 100th conviction then let walk out the door cause of their 'bad childhood'

Must get very old very quickly for the Guards. Pissing against the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I must have been lucky. My apartment was burgled years a go when living in Ireland. Plain clothes garda came by, dusted and took fingerprints. A week later I actually got a letter from them, it had a leaflet for a victims support group. Better than nothing I suppose, never heard anything more from them after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

They've taken whatever money was in it and threw away the wallet.
    Credit cards etc are not worth the aggravation for these people.

But move on! Be a little wiser next time you're carrying cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They need to get this guy on the job so

375ccb937771c09e23c986aa1c95f6be.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

dublin city center id say guards get dozens calls and are least intrested in solving stolen wallet. biggest pain in the but is getting all the new cards, most likely ur details are useless nowadays but cards that have swipe function pps number is an issue.

main problem is that people who do that stuff prob have dozens if not hundred convictions and are let free to roam like ferals. Solution simple boost economy by building extra dozen hi security prisons and get rid of judges that focus on joe who didnt pay his tax license as opposed to some scum who has 50 convictions and isnt even of legal age to buy booze, getting free pass each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You reported the crime.

The Gardai can't get in touch with your bank to cancel your cards. Only you can do this. I would have been in touch with my bank before the Gardai tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Jesus. I'm only on Page 2! Some slatin' goin' down! Remind me never to come to Boards to whinge about summat that got nicked! :eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lovelife92

Are we shocked?

My car was broken into in Waterford a few years ago. Rang the cops expecting a forensic team to arrive. Full tent over the car, white suits, dusting for prints, DNA swabs etc.

What actually happened was the cops rocked up in their car, asked was there much taken, said "thats terrible" and drove off.

Haha alright, that is just mad like...

Advertisement