Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocked how the guards didn't care about stolen wallet?

Options
  • 29-08-2018 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am very disappointed in the services. My wallet/purse was stolen for the first time last week in the city centre. All my IDs, cards everything was in it, has been very stressful/ frustrating knowing someone could possibly be using or selling my identity.

I went down to the guards and told them. I expected an alert would be sent out on my name if anyone was to use it on an ID or something like that. I was told it was probably thrown away at this point and just to order new ID and cards?

Is that normal? There is literally nothing I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Did you have 2 wallets stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What else could be done only get new cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

lovelife92 wrote: »
    I am very disappointed in the services. My wallet/purse was stolen for the first time last week in the city centre. All my IDs, cards everything was in it, has been very stressful/ frustrating knowing someone could possibly be using or selling my identity.

I went down to the guards and told them. I expected an alert would be sent out on my name if anyone was to use it on an ID or something like that. I was told it was probably thrown away at this point and just to order new ID and cards?

I had a phone stolen once in England. I left it on the bar and someone took it while I was in the loo. Clearly visible in the CC camera. Police did come but not much else happened.

Logged into the phone tracker app. Got a location for the phone that night. Phoned the detective assigned. Sent the image. Nothing.

They just dont police small stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

What else could be done only get new cards?

Track the card usage with the banks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Jesus what sheltered backwater did you come from OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Are we shocked?

My car was broken into in Waterford a few years ago. Rang the cops expecting a forensic team to arrive. Full tent over the car, white suits, dusting for prints, DNA swabs etc.

What actually happened was the cops rocked up in their car, asked was there much taken, said "thats terrible" and drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Should have sent the Emergercy Responce Unit down straight away .. It's a disgrace Joe !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

lovelife92 wrote: »

Drug use homeless everywhere assaults murders, feral gangs.
    People with hundreds of convictions wondering around free.

Getting new cards and cancelling the old ones should have been the first thing you did that is good advice from the Guards.

You did not suffer any injury in the cesspit that is our capital city.

What did you really expect OP and by the way I am sorry your wallet was stolen but that is the reality of life in a city like Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

There was a good big bang theory episode on this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Track the card usage with the banks?

99 times out of 100 the wallet is in the bin or in a hedge or an alley within seconds of being stolen. They'll take out any cash and dump the rest. Lads robbing wallets and purses are not gangs of international jewel thieves accumulating wealth to buy private islands, they're low level junkies and the like. Quick cash is what they want. Everyone in the shops in town know them, they won't be long getting picked up if they start rocking up to the shops with various cards all of a sudden buying crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If I'd a pound for everyone who reported a stolen wallet to the guards I'd be looking after my wallet with great care.

OP All joking aside I hope you get sorted. We had our last 550e plus cards lifted from my wifes handbag in a hospital canteen while our son was being prepared for an ambulance to Dublin. Waste of time going to the guards. They're not going to put out an APB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A friend of mine was getting the train from Newbridge to Dublin so he cycled to the station. When he got back, his bike was gone so he said it to his father, who was a Garda. The father gave him a video and said "There's no chance of getting your bike but at least you have a video of it being stolen.". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

If your post is anything to go by, you were probably the perfect target for theft. On the back of this, I wouldn't worry about identity theft - wouldn't be that noteworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What city was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Gardai in not giving a **** shocker :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Lost / had my wallet stolen twice thus year, pointless reporting it, just cancelled ordered new cards asap.

Driving Licence renewal was the only real pain as you have to report it stolen and get Garda to stamp a form witnessing it.

Visa touch was used an hour after I lost it the first time for €14 or something and but declined after that as I had used it twice that way already that day, so pin was then needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Got burgled one night. Ballyfermot sent a car and said they’d do a drive around. I’m sure they know the local scrotes. I was told the “scence of crimes” people would come next day for prints, still waiting. I found a cigarette lighter from the scumbag and asked Ballyfermot station what should I do. I offered to bag it and bring to them. They fobbed me off

....meanwhile across the city government minister Alan Shatter got burgled the same night. A Garda was put outside his house, the white suits arrived and a team of detectives picked up suspects and got confessions out of them

We are just the unimportant little people :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

We could conceivably have the Garda numbers to attend for every wallet stolen.

1. Pay a lot more tax to significantly increase Garda numbers.
    2. Go live on an island where this would be a novelty and the bored Garda would investigate.

Or realise you've no chance of getting your wallet back even Inspector Morse turned up, and just order new cards, ID. Personally I'd have looked in the local bins, alleys, and reported to the bank. I do think wallets are more valuable now with touch payments, and less likely to be discarded near by.

Who did you expect them to inform OP?
    So you think there is a master computer somewhere that gardai know every time a bank card is used in the city?
    Do you think every shop & bank in the country informs Gardai everytime someone uses their debit card?

Informing your bank, who actually can check on your stolen cards being used, is more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

You sure you didn't just lose it?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

You must be really shocked, you started two threads on it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Must have been in the first 2 or 3 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thats a lie since theres never been a good big bang theory episode

Srolen bike, wallet, phone, laptop or dog: you will have to do your own policing.

Last year, a friend of mine who is a solicitor, was called into the local barracks 3 times in about 10 days, to provide legal assistance to men charged with sexual assault, rape and murder. This is a relatively quiet regional Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

csi-miami.jpg?w=1100

they should have got him on the case of the stolen/lost wallet IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 26,184 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Basically, law enforcement resources are not free, and decisions about how to expend them have to factor in (a) how serious the crime is, and (b) how likely it is that an expenditure of resources will result in a conviction. Stealing a wallet is petty theft, not a very serious matter, and as others have said the wallet and cards are nearly always thrown away within minutes, so attempting to track the cards is very unlikely to yield any result.

Basically, the OP doesn't want to pay the kind of taxes that would be needed to resource the guards to a point where it was a rational expenditure of resources for them to investigate wallet theft by such methods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Poor Glen!

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Basically, law enforcement resources are not free, and decisions about how to expend them have to factor in (a) how serious the crime is, and (b) how likely it is that an expenditure of resources will result in a conviction. Stealing a wallet is petty theft, not a very serious matter, and as others have said the wallet and cards are nearly always thrown away within minutes, so attempting to track the cards is very unlikely to yield any result.

Basically, the OP doesn't want to pay the kind of taxes that would be needed to resource the guards to a point where it was a rational expenditure of resources for them to investigate wallet theft by such methods.

What if we are, like with health, paying enough taxes but the service is incompetent.

The loss of wallets, laptops, bikes etc is how a lot of people are affected by crime. If the system isn’t doing anything about it then that’s most people’s experience of the legal system.

And it’s not that trivial either. A wallet could have a fair amount of money. A bike or laptop could run to the thousands. Preemptive policing could help here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I look forward to seeing this in an episode of CSI!
    Zoom in on the wallet button ... enhance ... reverse image ... we got him!

It might be slightly different these days with contactless transactions but a quickly cancelled card will sort that out.

I was pick pocketed in Paris (my own fault, really, I'd been so careful up until that), the local Gendarme had the same reaction. They asked if I had insurance and would I be making a claim, I said I would and then they helped by providing a report with all the details. They said the same thing, it's most definitely in a bin with the cash taken. They sent an email to the Metro staff in case it was handed in but to be fair I didn't even expect them to do that.

Advertisement