Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacers during race

Options
  • 28-08-2018 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hey, I’m doing my 1st road 1/2 marathon this weekend in Dingle which they have pacers. I’m aiming for a sub 1.45 but just wondering how the pacers work as they have a 1.45 pacer? Do they lead a large group who want to do that time? Since it’s a hilly route does the pacer stick to 5min/km even on the downhill sections? My worry is if I’m caught behind a large group I’ll lose time trying to pass them. What do people typically do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Pacers usually try to "bank" a few seconds on flat/downhill sections. You will probably find that early on there will be a good crowd following the pacer but you can be sure that this will thin out as the miles go by. I think most pacers try to get you across the line with about 30 seconds to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The pacers will try and run at an as even pace as possible and come home with about half a minute to spare. Also, they will pace on chip time, i.e. they start counting the time from when they cross the start line, NOT when the gun goes off. So don't start well ahead of the pacers and then wonder why you missed the mark by a few seconds in the end.

As for the group, anyone and everyone who want to run 1:45 will run close to the pacers. It means there will be a sizeable group, and it can get crowded, but most people find it perfectly manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

On that route in Dingle it will be fine as the road is plenty wide for the group you'd have. It's always good (and nice) to say hello to the pacers before the race as they'll often tell you their plan is if they need to bank anytime somewhere on the route. Only the best pacers down Kerry way as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Thanks for the info. Good to know. I’ll talk to the pacer Before the race and go from there

Advertisement