Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shocked by how unhelpful the guards were? (Stolen wallet)

• 29-08-2018 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am very disappointed in the services. My wallet/purse was stolen for the first time last week in the city centre. All my IDs, cards everything was in it. I went down to the guards and told them. I expected an alert would be sent out on my name if anyone was to use it on an ID or something like that. I was told it was probably thrown away at this point and just to order new ID and cards?

Is that normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

lovelife92 wrote: »
    I am very disappointed in the services. My wallet/purse was stolen for the first time last week in the city centre. All my IDs, cards everything was in it. I went down to the guards and told them. I expected an alert would be sent out on my name if anyone was to use it on an ID or something like that. I was told it was probably thrown away at this point and just to order new ID and cards?

Is that normal?

Ring and cancel your cards ASAP

If a wallet is found I'm sure they'll be able to check if its yours but- why would they issue an alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Is that normal?

Pretty much, any interaction I've had in terms of a stolen phone and a stolen bag had a similar response. The Gardai are severely lacking in terms of customer service.

Its funny cause I remember when working in retail and I knew we didn't have a size I would sometimes "check" anyway to at least have the customer think I made an effort rather than fob them off with some response like 'we've only what is there'.

But yes cancel the cards straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is that normal?

Sorry to hear about your wallet
    But it's probably not an emergency is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭pah

Is that normal?

There is no facility for this type of "alert" as you say - who do you want alerted? NDLS, Passport Office, The local off licence

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

pah wrote: »
    There is no facility for this type of "alert" as you say - who do you want alerted? NDLS, Passport Office, The local off licence

Pretty much this. No such alert exists. You should cancel any cards as soon as possible. You should check with your bank to see if any transactions have taken place since your cards were stolen. If there has been you should notify the details of the transactions to the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Colleague was threatened with a flick knife (wanted her phone) by a young lad on a push bike on Talbot Street the other week at about 6.30pm when she was heading to Busaras after work. To her credit, she ran away and found a guard outside Connolly Station. Guard told her that would be mugger had probably gone and there was nothing he could do, didn't even ask for a description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Colleague was threatened with a flick knife by a young lad on a push bike on Talbot Street the other week at about 6.30pm when she was heading to Busaras after work. To her credit, she ran away and found a guard outside Connolly Station. Guard told her that would be mugger had probably gone and there was nothing he could do, didn't even ask for a description.

Geez that is bad, that he wouldn’t radio it in even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Is that normal?

What do you expect them to do?
    You were the idiot that allowed it to be stolen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--tOkZNaayo

These shows are well worth a watch and might explain how you lost it!

Advertisement