Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

70s/80s Merc/BMW hire?

Options
  • 27-08-2018 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Getting hitched in early October in Kilkenny. Bit of a long shot but I’m looking to hire a car for the day. Something different to the usual wedding cars and I’ve always loved late 70s/ 80s Mercs and BMWs. If anyone lives down that way and might have something they could rent to me for the day I’d be grateful. Originally posted elsewhere on Morors but was suggested I try here. Haven’t had much luck with local classic car clubs. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations to getting hitched! :) 

As for renting a classic car, have you tried with this company in Dublin as they have for example a '77 350SL that might fit the bill: https://courtyardclassiccars.com/products/mercedes-350sl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Thanks. I did indeed see the 350 SL, it’s an absolute beauty. I just can’t justify the level of expense.
    Friday to Sunday before I’d be back in Dublin. At €250 a day...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

I know, it's not cheap but you'll only get married once with any luck! ;)

And you could of course serve prosecco or cava at the reception instead of champagne..... :P With lots of people giving you money as a wedding present you'll probably break even anyway after all the expense (I know we did, thankfully). Who knows, maybe your best man and a few others want to chip in for the car hire....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If anyone lives down that way and might have something they could rent to me for the day I’d be grateful. Originally posted elsewhere on Morors but was suggested I try here. Haven’t had much luck with local classic car clubs. Thanks.

The reason you haven't had any luck with local classic car clubs (or on this forum) is that we are strictly forbidden to hire out our classic cars for reward by our classic insurance cover

So you're either looking at someone lending you their classic car for free (hoping you won't crash as your "driving other cars" option on your own insurance only covers 3rd party. Not likely unless it's a good friend or an incredibly kind person :D

Or just hire from a commercial company like that. I think I would just pony up if that car is something I really wanted. Average Irish wedding costs €20k, what's another few hundred quid on top of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Thanks for the information on insurance, I didn’t realise that (and pretty obvious now you say it).

And I certainly wasn’t hoping to get anything for free, more than happy to pay the going rate. I guess it was really an attempt to hire one locally for a day rather than from further away for three.
    Will reconsider.

• Advertisement
Advertisement