Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon - last 2wks

Options
  • 26-08-2018 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey,

Doing the Ratoath HM on Sat 8th Sept so want to get some advice on the best approach for these last 2wks. I'm doing the Frank Duffy 10mile next Sunday, I presume trying to run that at my target HM pace might mean not enough recover for the HM itself?

As background, I've been doing 1 long run a week of 10 - 14miles, and also 2 to 3 sessions of tempo, fartlek hills/intervals.

My HM target is sub 1.30, so 6.50 mile pace. I was once advised that if 2wks out you can do 3 x 2m @HM pace w/2min rest then it's a good indication for your race target. I ran that yesterday and hit the paces.

Just a note that in the past with too much of a taper/rest days I find I don't perform well in races. So next 2wks I was thinking -
    • Mon - LR 12miles
    • Tues - easy 5m
    • Wed - tempo/fartlek 7m
    • Thurs - easy 5m
    • Fri - hills or easy 5 to 7m
    • Sat - rest
    • Sun - Frank Duffy 10mile - Too much to race it at HM pace?
    • Mon - easy 3m
    • Tues - easy 5m
    • Wed - 5m w/ 2m @ HM pace
    • Thurs - Rest
    • Fri - Easy 2m
    • Sat - RACE

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

If the goal is the Half, I'd drop the Frank Duffy altogether. You won't absorb the training in a week and it will only add to recovery cost. Also a 7 mile fartlek/tempo that week with a 10 Miler @HM pace is massively overkill even if you are training through the week. That is 17 miles of work below 6:50 pace which for a 1:30 hopeful is only doing more damage than what is necessary. I'd think more in line of only doing 4 Miles a week at tempo pace would be more than adequate for someone at your level and mileage.

I'd also move the 2 mile race pace workout on raceweek to Tuesday and replace it with something like 3x1 mile at HM w/3 minutes rec. It would also Open up the door a bit more to do something like 8x200 at 10k pace on Thursday which would help with turnover and priming your system if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Safiri wrote: »
    If the goal is the Half, I'd drop the Frank Duffy altogether. You won't absorb the training in a week and it will only add to recovery cost. Also a 7 mile fartlek/tempo that week with a 10 Miler @HM pace is massively overkill even if you are training through the week. That is 17 miles of work below 6:50 pace which for a 1:30 hopeful is only doing more damage than what is necessary. I'd think more in line of only doing 4 Miles a week at tempo pace would be more than adequate for someone at your level and mileage.

I'd also move the 2 mile race pace workout on raceweek to Tuesday and replace it with something like 3x1 mile at HM w/3 minutes rec. It would also Open up the door a bit more to do something like 8x200 at 10k pace on Thursday which would help with turnover and priming your system if you wanted to.

Thanks. Had hoped to use the Frank Duffy as a confidence builder for HM pace. So if not, is the Frank Duffy worth doing then at a slower pace? I am signed up after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Thanks. Had hoped to use the Frank Duffy as a confidence builder for HM pace. So if not, is the Frank Duffy worth doing then at a slower pace? I am signed up after all.

Would be no harm in doing it as a long run. It's a tradeoff though, the faster you want to do the FD, the more effect it has on the build up to the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Thanks for the replies.

So, in that case, my weeks look like -

Mon - LR 12miles
    Tues - easy 5m
    Wed - tempo/fartlek 4m
    Thurs - easy 5m
    Fri - hills of some kind as part of 7m total run
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Frank Duffy 10mile - Run as a long run, maybe last 2m @ HM pace?
    Mon - easy 3m
    Tues - 3x1 mile at HM w/3 minutes rec
    Wed - easy 4m/Rest
    Thurs - 8x200 at 10k pace
    Fri - Easy 2m
    Sat - RACE

Advertisement