Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble giving up the drink. Any advice?

Options
  • 26-08-2018 1:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

Lately been trying my best to stop drinking, but keep getting invites from friends and relatives to come over for a drink and I end up drinking more than I should as I just can't stop once I start and it results in me making poor decisions and just waking up feeling **** the next day, feels like I'm fueling an addiction.

Can anyone give some advice if they've been in a similar situation. It isn't an issue now but it's just something I would like to stop. Would just saying you don't wanna come over be better?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What stops you from going over and not drinking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

What stops you from going over and not drinking?

Peer pressure I'm easily convinced

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s a non drinkers section on this website which has lots of good advice and friendly ppl :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There’s a non drinkers section on this website which has lots of good advice and friendly ppl :)

It's not meant for the purpose of supporting and encouraging people to give up. It was setup to be a social outlet for people to gather that didn't want to drink, considering most meetups here are called "beers".

Peer pressure I'm easily convinced

Get new friends so. If you don't want to drink and they don't accept it. They don't respect you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Just over a year ago I felt the same way. It was a very stressful time in my life. Nearly every night I would drink cans, anywhere between 4-8 go to bed at 11 and up the next morning at 4:45 to be at work for 6 (I walk so at least I didn't put anyone I'm danger getting behind the wheel). I was barely able to function at work.

This went on for a 4-5 month period. I tried going to 2 local AA meetings but i found these not to be helpful as it seemed to be all about "reconnecting with God" but I don't practice a religion.

Next I tried cognitive behavioural therapist recommended by my GP. It was pretty intense, basically broke me down to the core of my problem and helped make look at it from a new perspective, change my way of thinking and handling stress. I still make appointments once a month or so because its helped me overcome a lot of things not just drinking but at the start I was going once a week.

I still drink too but very rarely at home unless it's an occasion with family or friends and I still go out at least once or twice a month. I'm still pretty young and at my age your social life nearly revolves around drinking.

Good on you for being aware of the problem, I've been told its usually people who choose to ignore it or are ignorant to the fact that really it becomes full blown alcoholism.
    I wish you well :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:

OP I think the Non Drinkers Group forum is better suited to your needs https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1015

This forum is for the enjoyment of alcohol, and not somewhere you want to be if you're trying to stop drinking.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement