Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox vs PS4 exclusives 2018 and 2019

• 25-08-2018 3:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Guys, for a new gamer what do you recommend getting into?

Xbox One or Ps4.

Bare in my mind my son has never played console games but does watch a lot of videos of people playing them, I was kinda unsure what the best choice was.

Any help would be nice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Cant speak for XBox myself

But PS4 have some very good exclusives coming out in the next year or so, from Spiderman in September, to The Last of Us in the near future

Depending on your sons age most of the games he might be into such as Fifa, Minecraft, Fortnite are all cross platform, what would really matter is what console does his friends have so he can play online with them as that will be more important than the exclusives

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As someone that plays mainly on Xbox, I'll echo SureYWouldntYa's advice, get whichever console his friends play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Sony does the better exclusives but if it's multiplayer he wants to play with mates then best to play on their platform.
    Sony exclusives tend to be single player games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Check what his friends playing on first. No matter how good exclusive are, there will be no point buying xbox if all his friends playing Fortnite :pac: on ps4.
    Other then that. Generally ps4 right now is killing it with exclusives, but a lot of them are adultish focused and I would not call them very kids friendly games.
    On xbox you have Forza horizon and game pass service, which for parents is god sent. Just get 6 month sub for anout 45eu and little Johny has a netflix of gaming.

Why not consider the switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Doesn't matter really. Whatever you get him he'll want the other one at some stage so you'll probably end up buying both or more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Given that it sounds like he's kinda young, just get whatever his friends have, and if they don't have a console, then a PS4 is probably the better choice as it does tend to have much better exclusives - even kids wise, and all the other staples are multi-platform (minecraft, fortnite, rocket league, fifa, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Doesn't matter really. Whatever you get him he'll want the other one at some stage so you'll probably end up buying both or more!

You get one for him. If he wants the other as well, he can buy it himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Thanks for the replies guys and girls. Just to add some context. He is 18 and most his friends have either one like a mix Xbox and Ps4 but he was unsure what he wanted as he says they're both good and he left the choice to me and I just wanna buy him one that makes the most sense on terms of what games he has access too he has his own pocket money to buy the games I'm just getting him the console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

PS4 has got the better exclusives, there's no doubt about that, especially if you're into single player campaigns. Xbox has had a bit of a fight on its hands in terms of very disappointing sales figures but offers some great services as a result - gamepass and backwards compatibility being highlights. You have to pay to play online with both consoles but they both give you games to play for free. Both have their normal version consoles and upgraded versions as well. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Xbox wipes the floor with the Pro on this count but you'll be paying €500 for it compared to the €400 for the Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thanks for the replies guys and girls. Just to add some context. He is 18 and most his friends have either one like a mix Xbox and Ps4 but he was unsure what he wanted as he says they're both good and he left the choice to me and I just wanna buy him one that makes the most sense on terms of what games he has access too he has his own pocket money to buy the games I'm just getting him the console

He is 18?! Still gets pocket money?! If he has a beard, he can get his own god damm console!! :pac:
    Jokes aside. He is adult, not a kid, so all goes. If you only concerned about exclusives, then Sony is the winner. On the other hand, xbox has great services like Ea acess and game pass. If he does not have big gaming experience and had not played for the last few years, then xbox game pass would be perfect. Hundreds of games for him to try out and play to figure out what he likes.
    If you plan buying him normal version, then xbox one s, would be cheaper to get. There are always very good deals going around for it.
    If you want to spoil him, then xbox one x would be a lot faster then ps4 pro. 100eu premium over ps4 pro, but you do notice difference and in my opinion its worth that 100 quid extra.

Its hard choice, specially when he is not specific abput what he prefers or likes. Both systems are good. I guess decide on a budget and how much you want to spend on it and work from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

He is 18?! Still gets pocket money?! If he has a beard, he can get his own god damm console!! :pac:
    Jokes aside. He is adult, not a kid, so all goes. If you only concerned about exclusives, then Sony is the winner. On the other hand, xbox has great services like Ea acess and game pass. If he does not have big gaming experience and had not played for the last few years, then xbox game pass would be perfect. Hundreds of games for him to try out and play to figure out what he likes.
    If you plan buying him normal version, then xbox one s, would be cheaper to get. There are always very good deals going around for it.
    If you want to spoil him, then xbox one x would be a lot faster then ps4 pro. 100eu premium over ps4 pro, but you do notice difference and in my opinion its worth that 100 quid extra.

Its hard choice, specially when he is not specific abput what he prefers or likes. Both systems are good. I guess decide on a budget and how much you want to spend on it and work from there.

Thank you so much for the input. It's actually a birthday present for his 18th (2 days late!) But he is currently away with his mother on the annual holidays.

I've made my mind up. I'll be choosing the Xbox One X

Advertisement