Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time of year to join French Foreign Legion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

You guys are really easy to troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

hello,
    just seen this thread. OP are you serious?My older brothers mate, eldest brother joined the legion, this was back in the early 90's. To be aware back then many of the recruits had criminal violent backgrounds. However i believe those that hack it do indeed turn out to be changed strong minded individuals that now benefit society. I met his brother a few times and he was progressing well up the ranks, very confident individual with a very happy outlook on life. This guy had no criminal background, from what i remember his Father died and he was young and unemployed so he went for it. Different times of course but it is possible. If you are really serious i can maybe get a contact number for you to chat to him, if he agrees etc. Don't mess about though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

hello,
    just seen this thread. OP are you serious?My older brothers mate, eldest brother joined the legion, this was back in the early 90's. To be aware back then many of the recruits had criminal violent backgrounds. However i believe those that hack it do indeed turn out to be changed strong minded individuals that now benefit society. I met his brother a few times and he was progressing well up the ranks, very confident individual with a very happy outlook on life. This guy had no criminal background, from what i remember his Father died and he was young and unemployed so he went for it. Different times of course but it is possible. If you are really serious i can maybe get a contact number for you to chat to him, if he agrees etc. Don't mess about though!

Maybe when I get a date that I’m planning on travelling over I might get in contact if it works? I have a few prep things under way at the moment and other have told me late winter/early spring is best time to join. Do you know if that is true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Has anyone studied the scale of Irish recruits?

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    Has anyone studied the scale of Irish recruits?

There have been a few from what I’ve heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

i didn't read through this thread. Sorry Max offer retracted as i think it's best i don't get involved and indeed i won't comment further. regards and goos luck if serious

tac foley wrote: »
    Mr/Mrs/Ms Prophet just PM'd me, asking/telling me to stop being jealous of him/her.

He/she obviously suffers from the delusion that anything he/she writes has any relevance to the real world. He/she is now asking about getting a firearm so that he/she can get into practice before joining the LE.

And military grade scopes...

tac

What scope would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Mr/Mrs/Ms Prophet just PM'd me, asking/telling me to stop being jealous of him/her.

He/she obviously suffers from the delusion that anything he/she writes has any relevance to the real world. He/she is now asking about getting a firearm so that he/she can get into practice before joining the LE.

And military grade scopes...

tac

imagesca5ltac7.jpg

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The best thing to do is practice ironing and polishing. Ironing the uniforms in the FFL is a real bitch and causes serious grief if not done properly. Same with polishing boots. Reach a high standard before joining and get a great headstart.

What kind of polish do armies typically use ? Is the polish set alight before applying it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Tac, if you have issues with PMs sent, just send us a PM of your own and we can look into it. No point in further polluting a thread which occasionally has points of merit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

What kind of polish do armies typically use ? Is the polish set alight before applying it?

Armies don't use polish. Soldiers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hey OP, if the Legion won't take ya in, I heard those ISIS feckers are crying out for new recruits. They haven't had much Irish representation since Khalid Kelly's attempt at driving an oul' taxi for them went bad

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Armies don't use polish. Soldiers do.

Well soldiers so. What brand do they use? Is it army issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well soldiers so. What brand do they use? Is it army issue ?

Polish soldiers use it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Tac, if you have issues with PMs sent, just send us a PM of your own and we can look into it. No point in further polluting a thread which occasionally has points of merit.

Complied.

tac

Hey OP, if the Legion won't take ya in, I heard those ISIS feckers are crying out for new recruits. They haven't had much Irish representation since Khalid Kelly's attempt at driving an oul' taxi for them went bad

Stop man. I’ve a serious decision to make in the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

I haven't read all the posts but maybe join the FCA or whatever it's called. Forget about and gun training etc that will not give you any advantage imo. isolation, loneliness stress and French would come to mind. There was a TV show about it look it up good insight.

nigwerwig wrote: »
    I haven't read all the posts but maybe join the FCA or whatever it's called. Forget about and gun training etc that will not give you any advantage imo. isolation, loneliness stress and French would come to mind. There was a TV show about it look it up good insight.

Do you know if any army surplus stores sell La Legion gear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

I actually have one for sale you can practice your ironing with it

nigwerwig wrote: »
    I actually have one for sale you can practice your ironing with it

Do you have a link ?

LE equipment is identical in every respect to current French military equipment. As with the PDF, it is an offence to attempt to obtain or to wear current French military clothing in public in France or French current or former colonial possessions - Chad, Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Algeria, Morocco etc. However, what you do inside your own four walls as a consenting adult is up to you. The wearing of a kepi blanc or other LE awards/regalia to which you are not entitled might attract the attention of Irish former members of the LE, who would, needless to say, take a somewhat less-than-happy view of it. You might just get away with a good battering.

tac

LE equipment is identical in every respect to current French military equipment. As with the PDF, it is an offence to attempt to obtain or to wear current French military clothing in public in France or French current or former colonial possessions - Chad, Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Algeria, Morocco etc. However, what you do inside your own four walls as a consenting adult is up to you. The wearing of a kepi blanc or other LE awards/regalia to which you are not entitled might attract the attention of Irish former members of the LE, who would, needless to say, take a somewhat less-than-happy view of it. You might just get away with a good battering.

tac

Any idea how many irish have served with la Legion ?

Indeed. Hopefully I will be proudly standing with them one day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

I heard some IRA lads joined for the training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

I heard some IRA lads joined for the training.

That’s a myth

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That’s a myth

Yeah, never happened. ;)

Hear the Swiss Guards have openings.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Why are you signing your name when we can see it above your post?

Advertisement