Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation Vodka

Options
  • 21-08-2018 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get me brother a bottle for a present. From what i know hes more into the spirits then beer cause hes big into gym etc.

Dont drink a lot of spirits these days meself so wouldn't be that clued in when comes to whats good etc. Just be nice to get something thats decent smooth nice to drink etc etc.

Something different then standard Smirnoff but nothing crazy expensive! 30 40 euro maybe?

Need it by Friday so would have to be careful if buying online.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm assuming you want vodka not flavoured vodka here. Online would not be a huge advantage and you're really out of time anyway.

The usual slight premium vodkas are Absolut, Stoli and Russian Standard - the latter two are currently a whole cent dearer for a 70cl than Smirnoff in Tesco.

In the premium but still commonly available, Ketel One is currently 40 in Tesco. Ciroc and Grey Goose are the bigger premium brands but both are over 40.

Tito's seems to have had a few fans on here recently and is also 40 in Tesco; never tried it myself as my prior experience of American made vodka was especially awful but it isn't the usual crap they make there by any means. It may be 30 in O'Briens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you want vodka not flavoured vodka here. Online would not be a huge advantage and you're really out of time anyway.

The usual slight premium vodkas are Absolut, Stoli and Russian Standard - the latter two are currently a whole cent dearer for a 70cl than Smirnoff in Tesco.

In the premium but still commonly available, Ketel One is currently 40 in Tesco. Ciroc and Grey Goose are the bigger premium brands but both are over 40.

Tito's seems to have had a few fans on here recently and is also 40 in Tesco; never tried it myself as my prior experience of American made vodka was especially awful but it isn't the usual crap they make there by any means. It may be 30 in O'Briens.

Nice one for the reply and suggestions. Ya i dont plan on spending over 40 so that and below be grand! Tesco seem to have a lot of stuff ? Would i find anything better/different in a good off license or?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nice one for the reply and suggestions. Ya i dont plan on spending over 40 so that and below be grand! Tesco seem to have a lot of stuff ? Would i find anything better/different in a good off license or?

Almost certainly, O'Briens, Martins, Sweeneys/Lilac, Bradleys, Drinkstore etc depending where you are in Dublin should all have interesting ranges. Its just easier for me to check one supplier :pac:

A serious vodka drinker is unlikely to want flavoured vodka so if you're not sure stick entirely to unflavoured.

Almost certainly, O'Briens, Martins, Sweeneys/Lilac, Bradleys, Drinkstore etc depending where you are in Dublin should all have interesting ranges. Its just easier for me to check one supplier :pac:

A serious vodka drinker is unlikely to want flavoured vodka so if you're not sure stick entirely to unflavoured.

Hes only a young fella sure :pac: i just wanna get him something different instead of throwing him money.

Think ill go with the ketel one. Seems to get a lot of good reviews etc online from what ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They do not sound like a "serious vodka drinker", rather trying to cut calories and more likely stick to vodka as it has less flavour.

I would rather get 2 20euro bottles on offer than a single 40euro bottle of overpriced vodka.

Many might stick to vodka like smirnoff as it is the big brand and "can't go wrong".

There are 3 vodkas in tesco going for 20 euro for 700ml, absolut (standard), stoli, and russian standard. I would take any of those over smirnoff. And would much prefer 2 of them rather than a 40euro bottle of hyped marketed stuff.

Finlandia is 20 in obriens at the moment too.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/finlandia-vodka-70cl.html

I would like to get a present of a vodka I might buy again

Of those I mentioned I would personally rate in this order

finlandia
    stoli
    absolut
    russian standard

though they are all quite close.

You mention ketel one. I got presents of that doing jobs, it used to actually annoy me knowing what I could have got instead!

Flavoured could be the way to go, if he is just drinking to save calories. I would highly recommend absolut citron, very subtle flavour, but I would only buy if it was on offer.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    They do not sound like a "serious vodka drinker", rather trying to cut calories and more likely stick to vodka as it has less flavour.

I would rather get 2 20euro bottles on offer than a single 40euro bottle of overpriced vodka.

Many might stick to vodka like smirnoff as it is the big brand and "can't go wrong".

There are 3 vodkas in tesco going for 20 euro for 700ml, absolut (standard), stoli, and russian standard. I would take any of those over smirnoff. And would much prefer 2 of them rather than a 40euro bottle of hyped marketed stuff.

Finlandia is 20 in obriens at the moment too.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/finlandia-vodka-70cl.html

I would like to get a present of a vodka I might buy again

Of those I mentioned I would personally rate in this order

finlandia
    stoli
    absolut
    russian standard

though they are all quite close.

You mention ketel one. I got presents of that doing jobs, it used to actually annoy me knowing what I could have got instead!

Flavoured could be the way to go, if he is just drinking to save calories. I would highly recommend absolut citron, very subtle flavour, but I would only buy if it was on offer.

Thanks for the input man! Think if i buy him two bottles of vodka me ma will never shut up :pac: :D

Seen Molloys are well priced at the moment might pop down to one in Tallaght tomorrow have a look.

Thing i know about him as well is he likes his fancy stuff in general likes to dress well look well live the high life haha.

The semi-premium ones are all seen as fancy still really. Absolut and Finlandia for advertising, Stoli and Russian Standard for being "authentic". They're not always the same price band as Smirnoff (Absolut is sometimes cheaper, lets ignore that!); they're usually that little bit dearer.

The semi-premium ones are all seen as fancy still really. Absolut and Finlandia for advertising, Stoli and Russian Standard for being "authentic". They're not always the same price band as Smirnoff (Absolut is sometimes cheaper, lets ignore that!); they're usually that little bit dearer.

Ketel is 30 in Molloys at the moment which seems best value by brand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Stolichnaya is gorgeous.

I've tried Tito's, Belvedere, Ketel One, Grey Goose, and many more. Dingle is lovely, but more expensive than Stoli.

You could try get him a bottle of Danska for Christmas. That's fab too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've yet to taste the difference in vodkas tbh. Certainly not 40 euro difference.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I've yet to taste the difference in vodkas tbh. Certainly not 40 euro difference.

neither do the experts, in fact the cheap stuff comes out best, which is basically purified rum
    Ian Wisniewski, one of Britain's leading spirits experts, and Tom Innes, the former editor of bar and lifestyle magazine, Theme

VODKA TEST
    After tasting the following vodkas blind with spirits experts Ian Wisniewski and Tom Innes, here are the winners and the losers. All the vodkas are widely available.
    1st: Glen's (£8.69)
    2nd: Russian Standard (£13.29)
    3rd: Absolut (£14.99)
    4th: Wyborowa (£15.99)
    5th: Finlandia (£14.19)
    Joint 6th: Smirnoff Red (£12.19);
    Stolichnaya (£14.99);
    Belvedere (£30)
    9th: Grey Goose (£30.79)
    10th: Smirnoff Black (£15.99)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/wine/5770943/10-vodkas-put-to-the-test.html

glens is molasses based, so is tescos cheapest stuff, I put a polish lad onto it who raves about it and converted his polish mates too.

As the person in question does not seem to be a pure vodka drinker I would actually go for something else. Like a rum for a change.

As a vodka drinker I would much prefer to get this as a present than ketel one (which I like but think is overpriced), which is on offer
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258144288

or a lighter flavoured 3 year old rum
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262704861

neither do the experts, in fact the cheap stuff comes out best, which is basically purified rum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/wine/5770943/10-vodkas-put-to-the-test.html

glens is molasses based, so is tescos cheapest stuff, I put a polish lad onto it who raves about it and converted his polish mates too.

As the person in question does not seem to be a pure vodka drinker I would actually go for something else. Like a rum for a change.

As a vodka drinker I would much prefer to get this as a present than ketel one (which I like but think is overpriced), which is on offer
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258144288

or a lighter flavoured 3 year old rum
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262704861

Thanks man!

Gonna look at all options mentioned and see can I find out more bout what he normally drink to!

Part reason I always ask these questions in general though it's good to get loads different peoples opinion s especially on stuff I dunno to much about!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Where can you get Glens over here?
    And what's the name of the Tesco one - they have a few red labels.

Cheers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »

Cheers.

I have not seen glens in ages, but a quick search shows its in obriens for 18euro, but shows as out of stock. I would be checking to see it is still molasses based. I suspect many of these cheap vodkas from the likes of scotland or ireland are the "heads" and "tails" of whiskey production, so could be high in congeners (unwanted byproducts of fermentation, which can reputedly lead to wicked hangovers).

https://www.obrienswine.ie/glens-vodka-70cl-10212.html

Tesco is called Nikita with a red label, 12.99 a bottle so worth a go since if you like then it is some serious savings. Some do not like it, but I would like to see it done in blind tastes, many would be baulking in advance of tasting it.

It used to be tesco value vokda but got rebranded, as have most tesco value products at this stage.

Tesco windsor castle rum is also molasses based, and says so on the bottle.

Molasses fermentations (and therefore distillations) contain only trace amounts of methanol. So many would report less hangovers which they put down to this (though I have seen studies say methanol is not bad for hangovers). This is widely known and accepted on hobby distillation sites, not just taximan/"bloke in the pub" talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I suspect many of these cheap vodkas from the likes of scotland or ireland are the "heads" and "tails" of whiskey production, so could be high in congeners (unwanted byproducts of fermentation, which can reputedly lead to wicked hangovers)..

Surely distilling it to 96% would take all the nasties out?

Surely distilling it to 96% would take all the nasties out?

not as easy as that. Methanol has quite a lower boiling point than ethanol (which most are after). Other chemicals produced during fermentation have boiling points closer to that of ethanol and so are more difficult to separate out.

So a home distiller can fairly easily get rid of the methanol if they have a decent reflux still that can go to 96%. The other separation is more difficult, you have to let the still settle down for a long time for the different "fractions" to separate out and take them off at different stages. Some would run the stills for crazy long times -costs them more which does not bother them as it is so cheap relative to commercial products.

The problem is that you are allowed up to a certain level of methanol in commercial spirits, and this would count towards the final % of alcohol. So some will go to the upper limit of what is legally acceptable rather than pour it down the drain, like a home distiller would (or keep for other uses like cleaning etc). They can use various techniques to reduce nasty smells or reduce the harsh taste, e.g. charcoal filtering, treatment with chemicals like baking soda, adding glycerine to thicken the alcohol so the tongue does not get as much sensation.

More reputable distillers would separate it out and sell it as industrial spirit. Skyy vodka pride themselves on being pure. OP Skyy is one which slipped my mind which your friend might like, it is extremely pure and ideal for mixers and cocktails.

Some will milk it for all its worth, like how some food producers will have "chicken breast" which includes everything they can legally claim is chicken breast, while another producer would have discarded in what they call "chicken breast".

Also as well as including "nasties" with lower boiling points they can include other products with higher boiling points.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

listermint wrote: »

It depends on how much you like your vodka though. I can taste a difference between them all. I remember a hotel disco used to serve up huzzar from the Smirnoff bottles. It was back in the day when that craic was rampant, and you would definitely know the difference.

It's like the gin revolution. I don't like gin, hate the smell of it. But there are people who will only drink a certain brand, be it cork dry, Gordon's, etc.

So in the end got two bottles of Havana Club 3 year white one for him one for me ha.

Gonna try it out some stage tonight.

Thanks everyone again for the info!

So in the end got two bottles of Havana Club 3 year white one for him one for me ha.

Gonna try it out some stage tonight.

Thanks everyone again for the info!

This is my go to rum for making mojitos!
    It's lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is my go to rum for making mojitos!
    It's lovely stuff.

Havana Club, great rum, I have a slight preference for the Anejo Especial in a Cuba Libra \ Dark n Stormy etc over the Anejo 3.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Cheers.

The crappy ass pub I work in uses it for their cocktails (Glen's rum, vodka and gin) I'd imagine must off-licenses probably could get it easily enough. Don't touch the gin under any circumstances. Uck.

Havana Club, great rum, I have a slight preference for the Anejo Especial in a Cuba Libra \ Dark n Stormy etc over the Anejo 3.

Nice rum, that.
    Think I prefer the 7 year old if I'm after a darker rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's been a while since I drank vodka, but when I did I always found absolut to be the nicest. The more expensive ones are just a marketing trick in my opinion, Vodka is not like wine - there is precious little to tell a €20 bottle and a €50 bottle apart, plus if you're going to drink it with a mixer, then all bar the really cheap crap are practically indistinguishable.

Absolute muck vodka can usually be improved by running it through a Brita filter. Never actually tried it myself as Lidl's 40% stuff is pretty much fine already. Wouldn't put anything fancier than that in to cocktails.

Advertisement