Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moocall heat detection

Options
  • 21-08-2018 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi.all.
    Just wondering if anybody has invested in the moocall range of products..ive been looking at the moocall heat..i dont mind getting up watching a cow due to calf..but trying to catch cows in heat is a proper pain in the @#se..has anyone got this heat detection aid,if so how do ye find it..thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

blonde10 wrote: »
    Hi.all.
    Just wondering if anybody has invested in the moocall range of products..ive been looking at the moocall heat..i dont mind getting up watching a cow due to calf..but trying to catch cows in heat is a proper pain in the @#se..has anyone got this heat detection aid,if so how do ye find it..thanks in advance.

Yes. Used in this years batch of heifers. Very happy with it overall. It did pick up a few false heats but not many. It's fairly robust. It has lost a screw alright, will send it off and get it repaired.
    Havebt scanned yet but majority should be incalf to the first serve. Saved me a lot of time this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Have it here also with heifers and found it very good, one false heat is all I got but wasn’t a massive group of heifers, haven’t scanned yet but seem to be incalf, they were a good few miles away so heat detection would be difficult, wanted to ai them anyway, had a bull with them last year but no bull at all now only two teasers and no plans of having bulls again

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

I have one. Only had two false heats. It dose work but I found I still needed to watch for the standing heat as the teaser was very active and often I would get a text telling me they were in heat 2 to 3 days before they stood for him. Hopefully as Moocall get more data they will be able to make detection more accurate and tell when the standing heats being. The teaser was with cows and heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭blonde10

Simx..im in the same boat as yourself..the heifers are a bit away from the house..but i cant see them bulling..so im looking at the moocall..but from reading the posts,it does record false heats,and cant determine actuall standing heat.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Simx..im in the same boat as yourself..the heifers are a bit away from the house..but i cant see them bulling..so im looking at the moocall..but from reading the posts,it does record false heats,and cant determine actuall standing heat.?

Mine are 7 miles away but we're at home for the first 6 weeks if breeding. I had no issue with it picking up the right heats. Anything I served you would actually have seen bulling yourself but at least with this you were 100% sure they were bulling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

If mine text saying -903-high activity at say 9pm I wouldn’t be down till 12/1/2pm following day usually anyway, you could pick out one yourself if watching that mightn’t of been on so can’t fault it too much tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I see thus week there are ploughing offers from moocall. Has reliability improved in heat detection. Looking at this for outside farm that won't have 24 x7 attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I was an early adopter with Moocall heat. Overall, I'd rate it a success - Not foolproof, but a hell of an improvement on observation alone.

I'm working off farm, so I'd very rarely observe cows in heat - For years, any bull I have had has done most of his work without me seeing it.

If a cow breaks her tag, you can miss heats, but doing a check before they're left out after the winter can greatly reduce this. You can also have issues with some bulls being able to remove the collar, but thankfully I only had 1 bull who was able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Focus86

Sorry to get this thread going again. What way does the system work with cows on slats. The pens have all mats. And how does the collar stand up to the bull eating out through diagonal barriers

Advertisement