Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaa transfers

Options
  • 20-08-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Well,

I was wondering if it was possible to play club hurling in Kerry but potentially play inter county hurling with Limerick. Is this common or ever been done before?

Btw I'm not from kerry nor limerick just using them as an example

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Well,

I was wondering if it was possible to play club hurling in Kerry but potentially play inter county hurling with Limerick. Is this common or ever been done before?

Did jack o Shea play for leixlip in Kildare and intercounty for Kerry or am I totally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Well,

Yes, I know of a guy playing club in his home county, and playing County for the county he lives in now, where his wife is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Players have played club football in Dublin and county for Mayo before.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Yes you would see it happening with the weaker counties a good bit.

Example a Limerick hurler who is a guard playing for his home club in Adare but is based in Donegal so he will play for the Donegal county hurlers while still traveling home to play for Adare.

As you can imagine a Donegal hurler who plays his club hurling in Donegal but is based as a guard in Limerick isn’t going to get near the Limerick hurling panel.

So it’s very much a strong club hurler/footballer from a traditional county helping out a weaker county team you would see cases of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

There have been many Derry players over the years who were from Tyrone, the scenario is different because their local club is across the river. Players like Enda Muldoon, Niall McCusker, Kevin McGuckin (i think) and the recent goalkeeper, my uncles family is in that situation, live in a Derry club area but support Tyrone, some support Derry, it's a weird club, I heard that after the 1995 minor final Enda Muldoon changed from his Derry kit and put on his Tyrone shirt to watch the seniors.

I just like to share that story whenever I get half a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 DaltonHurler

Thanks for all of your replies. So it is possible as I want to play with my neighbouring county but there is no way in hell I would transfer club. Too many good friends and too many memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

It goes in front of an integrity sitting and if they your home county cannot offer you a competitive level I.E Kilkenny Football you may be permitted to go next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭arctictree

I think you have to actually live in the county you want to play for. Never heard of a club hurler in a weaker county playing for a top tier county over the border. Which is the scenario I think you are talking about.

Niall deasy would be an example.

Niall deasy would be an example.

Dont think it's the same. Deasy lives in Dublin and plays for parnells in Dublin and Ballyea/Clare.

The OP is talking about living in Kerry and playing for a club in Kerry while also wanting to play for Limerick.

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Dont think it's the same. Deasy lives in Dublin and plays for parnells in Dublin and Ballyea/Clare.

The OP is talking about living in Kerry and playing for a club in Kerry while also wanting to play for Limerick.

Oh sorry picked it up wrong haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

You can do if you have parental/Grandparent connections to the other county. Lots in Dublin do it.

You can do if you have parental/Grandparent connections to the other county. Lots in Dublin do it.

I don't know of any Dubliner that plays inter county hurling with another Tier 1 county.

ah ok, not Tier 1 - but I know of 4 club hurlers in Dublin that played in parental home counties last year.

ah ok, not Tier 1 - but I know of 4 club hurlers in Dublin that played in parental home counties last year.

Yep, this happens a lot!

What the OP is asking is wether you can play club in your home tier 2 county (Kerry) and inter county with a tier 1 county (Limerick) while still living at home. I'm not sure this is allowed under the current rules.

Think you have to have been born in the stronger county to do it in reverse.

Advertisement