Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is at fault here?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Sorry for the crude drawing.

In the below scenario, there is a roundabout which essentially just for calming. In this situation, there are 2 lanes leading up to the roundabout and 2 lanes at the only exit (12 midnight)

There are no directional arrows marked on the road, only 2 yield markings in each lane. Its marked as 2 lanes (i.e not a single lane with double queueing)

If the red car, on the outside lane, turns right to go back around the roundabout (and back to where they started, no other exits) and the blue car, on inside lane is continuing straight.... In your opinion, who is at fault for the below scenario? The red or blue car?

Screen_Shot_2018_08_20_at_22_58_22.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

The blue car has to cross the red car to exit the roundabout so they are responsible to check the lane is clear but you could also argue that left lane is for left or straight only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Red car, why be in the left lane when going right? There might be exceptions on bigger roundabouts, but not in this case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

red car in wrong lane
    blue car at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

left lane is for left or straight, and standard roundabout rules say whatevers to your right has right of way so id say the red car is at fault.

are you referencing a specific roundabout for this OP, see it all the time coming into dundrum when every single time where an idiot in a hatchback more concerned with her way to sandyford speeds down the 'left turn to rathfarnham only' lane and zips across infront of any other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

simple roundabout rules.

Left lane for turning left and straight on. Right lane for turning right or heading back the way you came.

That would be how the law would see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Definitely red car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

ewj1978 wrote: »
    simple roundabout rules.

Left lane for turning left and straight on. Right lane for turning right or heading back the way you came.

And it's also wrong. Right lane is for straight on or turning right.

Red car is in the wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Red is wrong all day long.

Why is this even a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

are you referencing a specific roundabout for this

I am. Will try to find a Google map example. Just to add of its relevant or not, it's a very busy roundabout, 50m after this roundabout is another round b, which I would be turning right (in a right turn only lane). If I approached from the left, the traffic on my right would not let me into the right lane so need to approach roundabout 1 (above) to be in the correct lane for 2nd roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Happens all day every day joining the M50 from sandyford slip to Dundrum Roundabout.
    Pr1cks pull into the left lane because it moves faster and then cut up cars going straight in the right lane.

Never understood why there isn't a traffic corps guy there just handing out tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Because insurance companies love making it a question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Red 100%. Dual lanes (entry and exit) allows right hand lane to exit straight ahead in the respective right hand lane, unless otherwise indicated. Left is 100% at fault for going past 12 o'clock, ever.

I am. Will try to find a Google map example. Just to add of its relevant or not, it's a very busy roundabout, 50m after this roundabout is another round, which I would be turning right (in a right turn only lane). If I approached from the left, the traffic on my right would not let me into the right lane so need to approach roundabout 1 (above) to be in the correct lane for 2nd roundabout

It helps us to see where you're coming from but it's not relevant. Driver needs to be in the correct location for the junction they are in not the next one. In any case the red car is in the wrong, left lane is straight ahead only.

This near Miss has happened to me twice recently on the ballymun M50 exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I was waiting for a grey area scenario.....

It's scary that you're even posing the question and getting answers that say blue.

This basic rules of the road folks. In no scenario is red car in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are there any makings on the roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

red car is at fault. See it happen every day on the walkinstown roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

left lane is for left or straight, and standard roundabout rules say whatevers to your right has right of way so id say the red car is at fault.

are you referencing a specific roundabout for this OP, see it all the time coming into dundrum when every single time where an idiot in a hatchback more concerned with her way to sandyford speeds down the 'left turn to rathfarnham only' lane and zips across infront of any other car.
    ewj1978 wrote: »
    simple roundabout rules.

Sadb wrote: »
    Definitely red car.
    Trasna1 wrote: »
    And it's also wrong. Right lane is for straight on or turning right.

Red car is in the wrong here

jaxxx wrote: »
    Red 100%. Dual lanes (entry and exit) allows right hand lane to exit straight ahead in the respective right hand lane, unless otherwise indicated. Left is 100% at fault for going past 12 o'clock, ever.

RSA was founded to promote safety on the roads... And ironically it looks RSA make the roads more dangerous place..

RSA does not make law! Forget those ridiculous rules 'left lane for going left or straight, right for turning right'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

blue car should have expected the stupidity of red car and taken evasive action

warsaw2018 wrote: »
    blue car should have expected the stupidity of red car and taken evasive action

There are idiots out there - the best evasive action is to stay home...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

GreeBo wrote: »
    Happens all day every day joining the M50 from sandyford slip to Dundrum Roundabout.
    Pr1cks pull into the left lane because it moves faster and then cut up cars going straight in the right lane.

Never understood why there isn't a traffic corps guy there just handing out tickets.
    I've seen them at the roundabout at Wesley pulling cars skipping the queue and pulling in and at the one at Tesco, but never at that one. All 3 roundabouts are a clusterfúck.

• Advertisement

Which rule would that be? Can you quote the relevant SI section?! I bet you can't.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    red car is at fault. See it happen every day on the walkinstown roundabout

I hate that junction and actively avoid it.
    I don't think I could deal with it every day.

If the lanes on the roundabout were concentric circles the red car would have been staying in its lane and the blue car would have crossed lanes without yielding. Common enough on roundabouts with no 9 o'clock exit. OP needs more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TheChizler wrote: »
    If the lanes on the roundabout were concentric circles the red car would have been staying in its lane and the blue car would have crossed lanes without yielding. Common enough on roundabouts with no 9 o'clock exit. OP needs more details.

how is any traffic on the inner lane of a roundabout supposed to leave a roundabout if outer lanes don't yield to it ?

grogi wrote: »

Which rule would that be? Can you quote the relevant SI section?! I bet you can't.

You'd win the bet ......but you'd be the idiot in the red car going round the roundabout in the outside lane.

how is any traffic on the inner lane of a roundabout supposed to leave a roundabout if outer lanes don't yield to it ?

Stop and wait until it has free way. Basic stuff really.

grogi wrote: »

You'd win the bet ......but you'd also be the idiot in the red car going round the roundabout in the outside lane.

You'd win the bet ......but you'd be the idiot in the red car going round the roundabout in the outside lane.

Please restrain from calling names here. Many times...

If you cannot quote any lawful source of your belief, why do you even bother?

How does traffic leave lane 2 or 3 of a dual carriageway? They plan their movements in good time and cross lanes when safe. This roundabout is just a very bendy dual carriageway.

• Advertisement

Because insurance companies love making it a question :)

I don't think the insurance company will care who was going where, will they?

They'd be more interested in who hit who and where? ie; red car might be in the wrong lane, but if blue car drove into the side of the red car, blue will be found at fault..?

Advertisement