Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Beasty wrote: »
    Is there a reason that some posters can get away with more than others ? Is it just the mood/opinion of the person receiving a report ?
    Everyone is different. Some people interpret things differently from others. Hence your own perception of the behaviour of certain posters may not correlate with the views of the mods

We do encourage mods to discuss issues and problematical posters within the various mods forums, and that typically results in a consensus over what, if anything, to do about certain posters or posts

Ultimately though although we strive for consistency there are always likely to be differing views among the mods or between mods and users over some issues. All I can add though is often what you see as a user may not be the whole picture. Mods may have built up a wider picture based on a longer experience of the behaviour of some users, or indeed having info from other Mods, CMods or Admins or perhaps from things that may have been deleted that can help them reach conclusions over posters or posts

Thank you Beasty that is helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Boards is full of tightly knit in-groups of posters who know each other both online and offline. A highly networked or well-known poster will be treated differently (i.e., more leniently) than someone else. Mods themselves rarely receive cards or bans because (regardless of what the official party line might say) there is an unspoken code of honor that mods don't sanction other mods.

How many people really know each other offline? How many mods know each other.

I don’t find this place cliquish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

How many people really know each other offline? How many mods know each other.

Many longer-term posters on the site know others through private forums, other social media sites, social meet-ups, and so on. There's no specific answer to your question "how many?" -- one person might know a handful of people, while another might know dozens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Boards is full of tightly knit in-groups of posters who know each other both online and offline. A highly networked or well-known poster will be treated differently (i.e., more leniently) than someone else. Mods themselves rarely receive cards or bans because (regardless of what the official party line might say) there is an unspoken code of honor that mods don't sanction other mods.

Uh, no. I've sanctioned mods. It's just rare that they do anything. Can't say I know many mods outside of AH or Soccer anyway.

Nixonbot wrote: »

Uh, no. I've sanctioned mods. It's just rare that they do anything. Can't say I know many mods outside of AH or Soccer anyway.

There's a definite clique of posters who get away with behaviour others were banned for. It's rather spoiling the fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Many longer-term posters on the site know others through private forums, other social media sites, social meet-ups, and so on. There's no specific answer to your question "how many?" -- one person might know a handful of people, while another might know dozens.

It’s rare enough then. Also the mods keep changing in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Here's a change, I've followed/ gave feedback in all these threads down the years, about the site - users dropping, what to do, over and over and over and it all ignored by the useless office.

Now though, I just couldn't give a fiddilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Why delete a post and card the poster off line, as it were? I'm not talking fear of libel here, just standard infractions. It happens in Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Now some people may have taken issue with him for what could arguably called heavy handed modding, but it seems that Permabear is gone and all of his posts consigned to the recycle bin.

I've seen a couple of posters now who have all of their posts deleted. Some of Joe Swanson's useful advise in travel forums is gone forever.

It seems that deleting an account automatically does this, though I think Permabear decided to have all his posts deleted. Not sure why (since the posts can't be read now).

I know that Nodin decided to quit due to what he considered unfair reprimanding. I think I disagreed with literally every view he had, but I think it's a shame that he's gone (unless Odhinn is him, returned).

Maybe Permabear has finally dumped the hot young missus, renounced his neo liberal dreams and hedge fund to run off with Nodin.

That would be one hell of a movie.

Then again Odhinn does bear some similarity to noddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Moderation in all things, including moderation.

AH should protect the funny threads, and it shouldn’t become a dumping ground for all sorts of topics.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    But people from Politics come into AH and want to have a non light hearted discussion which leads to turmoil in a thread when the 'yore ma' style answers surface. It's a 2 sided coin.

I'm not saying I have the right answers here, but from my experience that is where the arguments start in AH Political threads.

I definitely think valid threads should be allowed run, but not if they are in totally the wrong place.

Ah jaysus how many fecking times do I have reiterate this.
    Politics forum was actually ok up to a few years ago.

Granted around 2010-2012 mods got their knickers in a twist if you labelled fianna failure supporters and members as treacherous bast**ds with no shame who had sold out our country.
    Go figure.:rolleyes:

But Politics forum took a turn, where one had to either discuss political theory, or follow the same path as the mods and certain posters, especially with regards to things like EU and Euro.
    I am sure the same crew had apoplectic fits when Brexit occurred, but a lot of posters were in the Politics Cafe by then.

Threads were summarily dumped out of Politics and into the new Politics Cafe forum because they were "not deemed worthy".
    Yes they actually used that moniker.
    It wasn't enough that one was actually discussing current politicians in the Dail, ala in the case of their attire and the rules of dress, but they had to be of a standard deemed acceptable to some mods and their fans or they were dumped out of Politics and into the Cafe.

Of course all threads discussing the likes of Healy-Raes were immediately shoved over to the Cafe.

So Politics Cafe really took off.

But then the very contentious issues like the migrant crisis, Trump, Brexit came over the horizon and the unspoken rule was one had to agree with the mods on the topics or you were liable for warnings and infractions.

To compound the issue some very vociferous and engaged posters were appointed as mods and they used their new position to attack anyone of an opposing view.
    One moment you were arguing a point with a mod and the next moment they were slapping bans on you.
    It was very visible how one side were continually challenged for references whilst the other got away with the most carte blanche statements.

The ultimate was one evening where 5 or 6 posters of an opposing opinion were one after the other banned by a single mod.
    It was akin to watching John "the bull" O'Donoghue having one of his meltdowns in the Dail.
    And yes i was one of the ones banned.

Then the Cafe was reinvented where one had to beg for access.

Now I go in and find one or two posters and maybe a thread updated every few days.
    It is now the forum where threads go to die.

So After Hours took the traffic.

If those threads are now shut out of here and there is nowhere else then boards loses the traffic.

The admins of this site should remember a fair chunk of the posters in After Hours are there for those very threads that some posters see as the unfunny serious ones.

Lose those threads, lose those posters, then bye bye site.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nixonbot wrote: »
    And I can confirm not only have I sanctioned Mods (and indeed a CMod), but I have sanctioned mods I am friends of in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

And I can confirm not only have I sanctioned Mods (and indeed a CMod), but I have sanctioned mods I am friends of in real life

Not so sure of how to take this... I would have thought that anyone that is reasonably heavily invested in Boards doesn't have any real life....:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

How many usernames do you post under?

I assume your post is tongue in cheek, as only one active account is permitted unless permission to run a second is given by an Admin or someone from the office

Of course, one active one at a time.

Any stats on how many cards/bans have been handed out by mods to other mods over the past year?

It may happen, but I believe it's extremely rare. As I said, there's an unspoken code of honor that mods don't sanction other mods -- and even if some mods occasionally ban or card other mods, it's far more rare than it should be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jmayo wrote: »
    Then the Cafe was reinvented where one had to beg for access.

I don't disagree with what you are saying at all.

Should the rules around access by loosened up a bit now? Would that help the forum get a heartbeat again?

I should also add that I have received a yellow card previously :) I guess that after being around for a while and being modding as well, I'm more familiar with the lay of the land and know how to debate/discuss something in the spirit of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

putting all the forum issues to one side

when was the last time Boards has been advertised to people or why dont you make Eir et al publicise the fact that they have a dedicated Forum on Boards.ie to make people aware of its existence as in its part of the contract (im sure they pay copious amounts of money to you)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Perhaps it's an idea for mods to be invisible? Mods appear as regular users and mod notes posted don't have a username attached, or perhaps simply a number?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Should the rules around access by loosened up a bit now? Would that help the forum get a heartbeat again?

every feedback thread since the change has been overwhelming leaning to change that, yet nothing is ever done, the cafe is still as lifeless as ever and no one seems to give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Human Sausage

jmayo wrote: »
    Lose those threads, lose those posters

And what a terrible loss that would be. :pac:

I'm of the opinion that if Boards needs to court those kinds of users to stay afloat then it's been lost. And please, it's never so simple as an 'opposing opinion'; these users are invariably trouble-makers or can't make their point without being complete arseholes.

But I suppose it's easier to rail against supposed injustices than admit that maybe some people of your political persuasion aren't perfect little darlings.

And what a terrible loss that would be. :pac:

I'm of the opinion that if Boards needs to court those kinds of users to stay afloat then it's been lost. And please, it's never so simple as an 'opposing opinion'; these users are invariably trouble-makers or can't make their point without being complete arseholes.

But I suppose it's easier to rail against supposed injustices than admit that maybe some people of your political persuasion aren't perfect little darlings.

I really fail to understand how some posters are banned for the slightest of slights and yet others can refuse to debate, throw around insults and cause trouble.

There's one poster who every single time just says "no, nope, can't be done, unworkable, impossible, irrelevant" etc etc and yet is allowed to carry on! Yet I've seen posters carded and told "debate or leave".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

fergus1001 wrote: »
    putting all the forum issues to one side

when was the last time Boards has been advertised to people or why dont you make Eir et al publicise the fact that they have a dedicated Forum on Boards.ie to make people aware of its existence as in its part of the contract (im sure they pay copious amounts of money to you)

I'm pretty sure that some of the Talk To guys have the boards icon along side the twitter/FB ones on thier contact pages. BOI do on this page:
    https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/

I don't see it for Eir/Virgin or AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I really fail to understand how some posters are banned for the slightest of slights and yet others can refuse to debate, throw around insults and cause trouble.

Its not just in politics.

There is one poster who has been reported, reported, threads made in Feedback/Helpdesk about their behaviour and the evidence of their misbehaviour laid out clearly for multiple Mods and Cmods and that person is still allowed to do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

/r/ireland is pretty much what After Hours used to be in terms of a healthy mixture of craic, serious topics and Irish content. There's no obsession with American politics and because of the up-vote/down-vote system, people with obvious agendas who keep pushing the same topics and threads never get up a head of steam.

....... wrote: »

There is one poster who has been reported, reported, threads made in Feedback/Helpdesk about their behaviour and the evidence of their misbehaviour laid out clearly for multiple Mods and Cmods and that person is still allowed to do what they like.

Exactly this, it is so frustrating!

....... wrote: »

In an AH thread I was threadbanned for "they can't play nicely with others",

A noted antagonisic banned re-reg was causing trouble - at no point was I unpleasant or abusive.

Yet I've been on the receiving end and a Helpdesk post and PM to a Mod has done nothing.

I like posting on here but the blatant favouritism is offputting.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any stats on how many cards/bans have been handed out by mods to other mods over the past year?

It may happen, but I believe it's extremely rare. As I said, there's an unspoken code of honor that mods don't sanction other mods -- and even if some mods occasionally ban or card other mods, it's far more rare than it should be.
    Maybe that better highlights the qualities required to become a mod. Mods and CMods are shown no favouritism. When it comes to Admins though I don't think the system allows bans or possibly even cards

Now I've been on the site for over 9 years, as regular user, Mod. CMod and Admin. I've not picked up a card or ban under any heading. That's the same for many, many more, and disciplinary records are something we look at when considering posters for mod roles. Hence it's not exactly surprising that mods usually steer clear of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Boards feel that they have to support the Mods because they are volunteers. But there is also a group who carry extra weight because they were here at the beginning.

My mind changed after going through the, so called, Dispute Resolution Process.

When it comes to Admins though I don't think the system allows bans or possibly even cards

AFAIK, an Admin can be carded or banned, but only by another Admin.
    Now I've been on the site for over 9 years, as regular user, Mod. CMod and Admin. I've not picked up a card or ban under any heading. That's the same for many, many more, and disciplinary records are something we look at when considering posters for mod roles. Hence it's not exactly surprising that mods usually steer clear of trouble.

I appreciate that point, but I believe different standards still exist for mods. One recent appellant in DRP was carded in AH for a comment they made about clerical sex abuse. The poster pointed out that a mod had made a virtually identical comment (and it was almost verbatim) but had received no sanction.

You are right that mods are chosen in part because they have cleaner records, and are less likely to breach the rules. But mods are also less willing to sanction other mods than they are to sanction regular posters. Even when a mod does cross the line, they are less likely to be called on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I'm pretty sure that some of the Talk To guys have the boards icon along side the twitter/FB ones on thier contact pages. BOI do on this page:
    https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/

I don't see it for Eir/Virgin or AIB.

an icon does not count, id say if you asked anyone below the age of 20 very few would know of the existence of this Forum, they would probably think its a snapchat filter

Boards needs to advertise itself if its to grow, im not talking just about the forums such as afterhours but surely the owners are seeing their advertising revenue shrink because of the loss of traffic

also the website needs to be reworked as it is very much aged and lacks the functions that a younger audience take for granted, if they want more users they need to redesign the whole site

• Advertisement

I'd say I wouldn'r long quitting this. Is AH even modded nowadays ? Aaside from when some are "not playing nice with others".

I've had to put up with the likes of this from a poster. He does not engage, debate, just lies, accusations and borderline stalking:
    It's important to gauge what the serial moaners want.

444 posts in a single thread, in one week, impressive. I'm looking forward to see what you're going to come up with for your next persona.

Is there anybody left on this site that you haven't reported or put on ignore yet?

446 posts in one thread and counting.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. There is blatant playing favourites coming in now and I'm a hare's breadth away from quitting - I dare say more will follow if there's not a clampdown on rubbish like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement