Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The slow death of forums *see OP for Admin warning and update 28/02/18*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    it could be a northern sheep

Don't we already have a "seven sheep in Garda station" thread:confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't we already have a "seven sheep in Garda station" thread:confused:

that sounds like the name of a drinking game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I really enjoy AH but there's a thread there today that is just encouraging bullying. It's been reported but nothing done.

There's a fine line between banter and insulting people.

I really enjoy AH but there's a thread there today that is just encouraging bullying. It's been reported but nothing done.

What thread is that?

What thread is that?

Fat tax on fat flyers. It's got a mod warning now which is great but I'm very reluctant to post as I fear the mocking and bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Fat tax on fat flyers. It's got a mod warning now which is great but I'm very reluctant to post as I fear the mocking and bullying.

Ah come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The mod note didn't address the issue at all and that thread, coupled with the half hearted mod instruction, is a good example of what's killing AH.

It's not possible for After Hours to be all things to all people. Freshpopcorn's recent threads have given me some insight in to the user base here and how mixed it is. I liked his approach and thought it was a bit of fun. Harmless. Others thought it was cringe and pointless.
    What's the solution? There isn't one as far as I can see. The forum will unfold and develop in it's own way. I posted similar in this same thread a while ago. Let it be as it is. Yes there are threads that appear to have a more obvious home and that's a call for the mods to make. It can be tricky though and they do their best. In my experience as a boards user and lurker this is the best mod team we've had (I include your time also Boom_Bap). Maybe something to consider is not to take it all so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Maybe something to consider is not to take it all so seriously.

people don't for the most part but when a thread is locked not moved after you took the time to post a thread it is annoying

fergus1001 wrote: »
    people don't for the most part but when a thread is locked not moved after you took the time to post a thread it is annoying

What threads do you think are a good fit for AH?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

A more user friendly way to manage your accounts would nice. Like one log-in, but then be able to switch through your various user names that you use in different forums or for different cases, within that. Saving logging out, logging in again, often many times in a row, which is quite cumbersome, and at times leads to posts under a different user name than the one you intended. Confusing for readers and people answering you as well.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A more user friendly way to manage your accounts would nice. Like one log-in, but then be able to switch through your various user names that you use in different forums or for different cases, within that. Saving logging out, logging in again, often many times in a row, which is quite cumbersome, and at times leads to posts under a different user name than the one you intended. Confusing for readers and people answering you as well.
    How many usernames do you post under?

I assume your post is tongue in cheek, as only one active account is permitted unless permission to run a second is given by an Admin or someone from the office

What threads do you think are a good fit for AH?

I see AH as a melting pot, you post ANY topic in after hours BUT you know people are going to rip the piss with you, if that's not for you then go off to the specific section and have a frank discussion

Beasty wrote:
    I assume your post is tongue in cheek, as only one active account is permitted unless permission to run a second is given by an Admin or someone from the office

imagine trying to manage the rereg population with that system in place lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Beasty wrote: »
    How many usernames do you post under?

ff.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

dare me to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TROL outs self?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I can't understand changing names. Your name & post history are like a credential here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's not possible for After Hours to be all things to all people. Freshpopcorn's recent threads have given me some insight in to the user base here and how mixed it is. I liked his approach and thought it was a bit of fun. Harmless. Others thought it was cringe and pointless.
    What's the solution? There isn't one as far as I can see. The forum will unfold and develop in it's own way. I posted similar in this same thread a while ago. Let it be as it is. Yes there are threads that appear to have a more obvious home and that's a call for the mods to make. It can be tricky though and they do their best. In my experience as a boards user and lurker this is the best mod team we've had (I include your time also Boom_Bap). Maybe something to consider is not to take it all so seriously.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

On the moving threads to more appropriate forums, one issue for me is that sometimes I'd rather discuss the topic with the people I know on AH than strangers in a forum I don't know.. or maybe don't even like. So while the topic could be more appropriate elsewhere, the thread itself isn't if I only made it for the AH 'community'.

• Advertisement

Is there a reason that some posters can get away with more than others ? Is it just the mood/opinion of the person receiving a report ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Discodog wrote: »
    I can't understand changing names. Your name & post history are like a credential here.

Stalkers!
    I have had a few name changes over the years. Sometimes to ensure no one gets too close to identifying me.
    Sometimes I just close account and take a break from online world for a bit.

I see AH as a melting pot, you post ANY topic in after hours BUT you know people are going to rip the piss with you, if that's not for you then go off to the specific section and have a frank discussion

It is a melting pot but some threads aren't going to be suitable for people to take the píss out of. The abortion referendum one for example, the case of missing Deirdre Jacobs is another example. Does this mean they belong in other forums?

It is a melting pot but some threads aren't going to be suitable for people to take the píss out of. The abortion referendum one for example, the case of missing Deirdre Jacobs is another example. Does this mean they belong in other forums?

Yes I would think they do, this current affairs section would be ideal for more serious posts

Yes I would think they do, this current affairs section would be ideal for more serious posts

I'm not sure. What about the GAA thread that was closed? Would that go to sports?

Is there a reason that some posters can get away with more than others ? Is it just the mood/opinion of the person receiving a report ?
    Everyone is different. Some people interpret things differently from others. Hence your own perception of the behaviour of certain posters may not correlate with the views of the mods

We do encourage mods to discuss issues and problematical posters within the various mods forums, and that typically results in a consensus over what, if anything, to do about certain posters or posts

Ultimately though although we strive for consistency there are always likely to be differing views among the mods or between mods and users over some issues. All I can add though is often what you see as a user may not be the whole picture. Mods may have built up a wider picture based on a longer experience of the behaviour of some users, or indeed having info from other Mods, CMods or Admins or perhaps from things that may have been deleted that can help them reach conclusions over posters or posts

I'm not sure. What about the GAA thread that was closed? Would that go to sports?

well we all know the amount of money Dublin get in sponsorship is a joke so it definitely fits in AH :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Is there a reason that some posters can get away with more than others ?

Boards is full of tightly knit in-groups of posters who know each other both online and offline. A highly networked or well-known poster will be treated differently (i.e., more leniently) than someone else. Mods themselves rarely receive cards or bans because (regardless of what the official party line might say) there is an unspoken code of honor that mods don't sanction other mods.

well we all know the amount of money Dublin get in sponsorship is a joke so it definitely fits in AH :D

Haven't a clue about GAA so erm I'll just agree with you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

there is an unspoken code of honor that mods don't sanction other mods.

Bro's before Ho's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement