Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TimeSplitters & Second Sight bought by Koch Media

Options
  • 15-08-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-15-timesplitters-has-a-new-owner-and-plans-are-afoot

So this excites me so much! In case you didn't know, Koch Media produce games under the Deep Silver label, and are responsible for gems such as the Saints Row series, Metro series, Dead Island series, and more. They have all rights to all the TimeSplitters games, and they have mentioned they are going to re-release the old ones and create a new one.

On top of this, they also have the licence for Second Sight, and are going to do something with it! If you've never played Second Sight, you missed out. TimeSplitters style graphics over a parapsychology story. So pumped for a re-release/re-make of this!

And even though it's painfully obvious that MTs will be in TimeSplitters (it already had crazy customisation, so now add skins!), I cannot wait for a TS2 re-release!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still stand by the opinion that Timesplitters wasn't great and outclassed by PC shooters of the time, and console shooters once Halo arrived. Never played Future Perfect though. Not sure what they can do with the series now. It will depend on the developer they get to work on it. Maybe starbreeze would be a good fit? Koch Media are only the publisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Some of us peasants only dreamt of a PC back in the day, so TimeSplitters was the dogs danglies at the time. I also think it's better than Halo, but I've no love for Halo at all and can't understand how it's so popular. Deep Silver will be developing it, and I've liked the majority of their games, including the Dead Island series (before Dying Light just took over). I even liked the Risen games they produced.

Lost hundreds of hours just playing TDM with 1 hour limit with my mate on split screen CRT, some amazing memories of TS2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I actually loved Second Sight on PS2, I thought it was very original and the powers you unlock really impressed me at the time. Not sure how they stand up now though, I played it about 10 years ago.

Would like to see what they plan to do with it, wonder if it will be a standalone title or if they will simply incorporate some IP into Saints Row (which I really fell out of love with after the last few titles)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But did Halo let you play as a monkey?

One big thing the games had going for them was their humour. And all the unlockables. I played 2 and 3 and really enjoyed them on gamecube. Never played multiplayer.
    On top of the single player campaign they had loads of challenges. Loads of content. If they do the same going forward, I'll buy. But if it's multiplayer first, then I'll be in no rush

KM do mention in the article that the content was a big draw, so I'm sure they'll have just as much, if not more, albeit probably behind MTs.

And Halo also didn't let you play as a goldfish in a fishbowl on a robot body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The multiplayer was very good back in the day for a console arena shooter - excellent pace and fluid gameplay. I don't think it belongs in the same category as Halo (they're completely different anyway, bit like the whole COD v BF non-argument) but it was a good solid game that didn't take itself too seriously.

Like Halo, many nights lost playing split screen on a crappy 14" portable TV.

Deep Silver are a publisher, not a developer. Techland make Dead Island/Dying Light. We'll have to wait and see who gets to make a new TimeSplitters or remaster the older games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure most of the Free Radical crew are in a new studio now and would love another shot at these franchises.

Wasn't Timesplitters the first console game that allowed map building?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure most of the Free Radical crew are in a new studio now and would love another shot at these franchises.
    The original Free Radical guys are well scattered at this stage. Even the remains of the studio have been through various iterations, first as Crytek UK and then as Dambusters following their acquisition by Deep Silver.

Crap, my bad, I can't keep track of who produces and who develops... Meh, as long as it's as good as the original, I don't care who makes it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Was just coming here to start a thread on it!
    Loved Timesplitters and would heartily welcome a new one.

Now that I think about it, Overwatch (in terms of Art Style) is a little similar.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As a long time Console and PC Gamer, Timesplitters is one of my all time favourite IPs, moreso as a first insight of firsttime mapmaking, and the multiplayer experience, the comedic value, the fact that it pokes fun at itself too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still stand by the opinion that Timesplitters wasn't great

It was pretty great if you had 3x friends in terms of local co-op.
    Future Perfect refined and built and improved on what 2 offered.
    It was the 1st game I remember having a few beers playing.
    Online PC multiplayer FPS gaming was still the remit of the Web-Cafes for the most part for the average Joe-Soaps

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wasn't Timesplitters the first console game that allowed map building?

Could well be for a 3D game, think it was the second game that had it. Worked surprisingly well.

It's just a shame they reduced map sizes for the final release. I remember a magazine had an article on how to recreate all the goldeneye levels in the game but they only worked in the review build which allowed bigger maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I liked second sight. Not many games use telekinesis and mind control as central game mechanics. I hopped between it and Psi-Ops on PS2. I think it has a PC version but it's abysmal and not sold anywhere legally afaik.

I remember there was a fan remake in the works though think they were concentrating on MP only to start

They're still working on it apparently, but no update since Dec 31st: https://www.tsrewind.com/index.php/en/

Advertisement