Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Service Probation

• 13-08-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I have worked in the civil service for about five years. I recently got promoted from clerical officer to executive officer and had to move departments.

The department I was in as a clerical officer was a nice place to work, nice colleagues and great bosses and no stresses. When i got the promotion late last year I was happy because it meant a rise in wages. However this is about the only good thing about the new job. I find the new job very stressful. There is an incredible amount to learn and the training is ad-hoc to say the very least. My bosses are demanding and im left to work through tasks myself. I understand that may come with the role im now in but its a world away from the type of work executive officers had to do in my previous department.

I have another while to go before i finish my probation and ive been advised that i cannot move department for two years. I wont last that long! I really dont want to quit the civil service after spending time working hard and getting the promotion. I just want to see if any of you have had a similiar experience and you would have any advice on how to go about getting out of the department? is there any way around the rule that means you have to stay two years in a department? Is there anything that can be done to move somewhere else?

Any advice would be fantastic. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

If you really want to get out - and I realise that this probably isn't what you want to hear - you may wish to note that until you have been confirmed in your new grade you have the option of applying to revert to CO. If you did this, I assume that you'd be sent back to your old Department (although you might end up in a different work area back there).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Is there anyway that moving within this department might help?

There is a new location open in my department and I hsve been told that a move will be allowed from my current location within the next couple of months even though I'm not even finished my probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hi all,

I have worked in the civil service for about five years. I recently got promoted from clerical officer to executive officer and had to move departments.

The department I was in as a clerical officer was a nice place to work, nice colleagues and great bosses and no stresses. When i got the promotion late last year I was happy because it meant a rise in wages. However this is about the only good thing about the new job. I find the new job very stressful. There is an incredible amount to learn and the training is ad-hoc to say the very least. My bosses are demanding and im left to work through tasks myself. I understand that may come with the role im now in but its a world away from the type of work executive officers had to do in my previous department.

I have another while to go before i finish my probation and ive been advised that i cannot move department for two years. I wont last that long! I really dont want to quit the civil service after spending time working hard and getting the promotion. I just want to see if any of you have had a similiar experience and you would have any advice on how to go about getting out of the department? is there any way around the rule that means you have to stay two years in a department? Is there anything that can be done to move somewhere else?

Any advice would be fantastic. Thank you.

Talk all this through with your Employee Assistance Officer. It’s free and confidential and they are all Civil Servants so understand these issues.

www.cseas.per.gov.ie

open/interdepartmental competition

my understanding is that if you are placed on one of these there's only very limited things yr current place can do to hold you (though they can delay)

otherwise, its likely yr stuck for the duration, which to be fair is a fairly minimal restriction upon acceptance of a promotion.

have you spoken to yr line manager about the difficulties you're having, has it come up in any of yr reviews?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Shamrock woman- I'm really sorry to hear that you're finding your new post so tough.
    Unfortunately- there is a massive jump in responsibilities normally between CO and EO- most EOs that I know are expected to work extremely independently- and often at multiple different sites. It depends on the Department- but a lot of the work can be very ad-hoc in nature- often there is no such thing as a 'typical-day' it can vary tremendously- and very often you might be given ownership of particular projects, which might sometimes entail the odd late evening or working from other offices- as required.

Its not a good idea to look at an EO in one office- and imagine that its similar in other offices- its not.

If you really don't think that you're going to last the 2 years- as alluded to above- your best option would be to seek a reversion to your previous substantiate grade- which PAS are normally happy to accommodate (however, if you're returning to your previous home Department- its to the next available CO post that comes available- not your previous post).

Honestly- if you got through the recruitment process- and were able to show good examples for the various competencies- I would suggest that you are competent to do the job- and should accept that it simply is a lot more responsibility and initiative than a CO would normally have- and try to keep going. You are learning- even if it is on an ad-hoc basis- things should begin to become clearer and more defined as time goes on.

Its always difficult in a new job- and its not helpful if you have preconceived notions of how easy or difficult it is going to be.

I honestly think you should keep at it- learn as much as possible- and hopefully in a few months time you will look back on the current roadbump- and see how much you have achieved in the period of time...........

The role of EO varies vastly not just from Department to Department- but also from office to office or Division to Division. I know of a few EOs who run local offices (with a roaming HEO who has ultimate charge for several geographically disperse offices), I know of EOs who are out in the field on investigative and audit work 3-4 days a week- and as another example- I am good friends with EOs in Brussels, Rome and Madrid.

It is a new job, it is a steep learning curve- but you *are* capable- you need to have faith in yourself- and you need to make the most of the opportunities that present themselves to you.............. Its not just a higher salary- its an entirely different job.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 shamrock woman

thank you all for your responses, they have been very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Secondments, while not too widespread at EO, just needs probation to be completed and your PMDS up to date could be an option.

I was promoted late last year and the role just wasn’t for me but used PMDS (something I wouldn’t have been a fan of before!) to chat through it with my boss re training and possible transfer when the time comes and the job has improved 10 fold. Still not in it for the long run but it has made day to day a lot better.

As said above you are more than capable to do the work if you have come through a competitive process so don’t throw in the towel yet, it could stand to you in the future when going for your next promotion and being able to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

belleamie wrote: »
    I hope you get a good outcome and can make a decision soon. I'm due to start in CS as a CO in September and the more posts i read on Boards the more I am really re thinking it now ,, haven't handed in my notice in my current job yet so still have time to decide i think,,, it sounds stressful and i am now worried about not being able to progress in the CS and being stuck on low starting wages at entry point CO.

Not everyone gets stuck at CO. I applied for the EO as an open candidate while waiting for my CO placement. I got EO after only being a CO for eight months. I will be going for promotion again once I'm eligible

belleamie wrote: »
    I hope you get a good outcome and can make a decision soon. I'm due to start in CS as a CO in September and the more posts i read on Boards the more I am really re thinking it now ,, haven't handed in my notice in my current job yet so still have time to decide i think,,, it sounds stressful and i am now worried about not being able to progress in the CS and being stuck on low starting wages at entry point CO.

I wouldnt want to put anyone off entering the cs. Its fine for the most part. Some lovely people in the departments I have worked in as well. Progress is definitely possible as well with the number of open and internal competitions that pop up every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A colleague who was CO for 2 years went for internal promotion for HEO and got it.

It's quiet possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

I am in the same situation. Promoted in May 19 but promotion is incredibly stressful. Wish I stayed as CO and try to hold out for internal promotion in my same section. Don't know what to do as I don't think I'll last much longer in my current role and I know I can do the job, just not in this particular section.

I am in the same situation. Promoted in May 19 but promotion is incredibly stressful. Wish I stayed as CO and try to hold out for internal promotion in my same section. Don't know what to do as I don't think I'll last much longer in my current role and I know I can do the job, just not in this particular section.

Well one thing I would say is that at least you will have your two years at the grade done in May. The option of transferring out of the section will be open to you then. Hang on in there. Is it the work that's stressful?

Yes, the work is stressful and I'm just not able for the complexities of what's required. I know I can go on Mobility in May but I could be waiting years for a move to another department? Sad thing is I can do the EO role but other sections would suit me better.

Yes, the work is stressful and I'm just not able for the complexities of what's required. I know I can go on Mobility in May but I could be waiting years for a move to another department? Sad thing is I can do the EO role but other sections would suit me better.

Mobility seems to be very slow.i would agree.. have you applied to be put on the list?

I did that as soon as I got promoted. I had an inkling that the job might not suit me but I wanted the pay rise! Only for the working from home, I would not have stuck it this long so I'm totally in a pickle now.

Advertisement