Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a terrorist attack happen in Ireland?

Options
  • 14-08-2018 8:28pm
    Site Banned Posts: 37

This is a question that is being asked by many people in Ireland at the moment.

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland? What would happen if there was?

I'm not talking about groups from the Six Counties here, I'm talking about IS and Islamist terrorism.

After recent events, including in Westminster earlier which a man tried to kill a number of people by ramming a car into pedestrians.

Many politicians and senior members of AGS have said that Ireland cannot be immune from terrorism, although an attack is very unlikely.

I agree that a mass-casualty atrocity is more than likely not going to happen, but an incident like what happened in Westminster is very much an underlying possibility.

An Islamist extremist attack here would more than likely come from someone who isn't actually a member of IS or another terrorist organisation, but would probably be inspired by their caused and radicalised, similar to recent attacks in Britain. A vehicle going down Grafton Street or O'Connell Street hitting and likely killing a number of people would be a plausible scenario. An attack similar to that in Manchester involving a bombing at a crowded venue is somewhat likely also.

I won't blame it entirely on immigration, although it could play a part.

In addition, I strongly doubt that the Gardaí could deal with such serious incidents like the scenarios above.

So, do you think Ireland could be next?

Do you think a terror attack could happen in Ireland? 89 votes

Yes
    1% 1 vote
    No
    98% 88 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Jeff Devoy wrote: »

I'm not talking about groups from the Six Counties here, I'm talking about IS and Islamist terrorism.

After recent events, including in Westminster earlier which a man tried to kill a number of people by ramming a car into pedestrians.

Many politicians and senior members of AGS have said that Ireland cannot be immune from terrorism, although an attack is very unlikely.

I agree that a mass-casualty atrocity is more than likely not going to happen, but an incident like what happened in Westminster is very much an underlying possibility.

An Islamist extremist attack here would more than likely come from someone who isn't actually a member of IS or another terrorist organisation, but would probably be inspired by their caused and radicalised, similar to recent attacks in Britain. A vehicle going down Grafton Street or O'Connell Street hitting and likely killing a number of people would be a plausible scenario. An attack similar to that in Manchester involving a bombing at a crowded venue is somewhat likely also.

In addition, I strongly doubt that the Gardaí could deal with such serious incidents like the scenarios above.

Absolutely. Why would we be exempt ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think we should just rename AH The Crank and Loon forum and leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Because we haven't sent forces to fight directly against ISIS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

rgodard80a wrote: »

Very naive there.

• Site Banned Posts: 37 Jeff Devoy

I suppose, because we are supposedly neutral and all that, we would be less of a target? Would I be right in saying that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,745 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They haven't gone away. You should be more worried about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I think we should just rename AH The Crank and Loon forum and leave them to it.

And Xenophobic, sorry, Nativist!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

There already was one in Dundalk in January. However, the amount of idiots ISIS is able to inspire is currently in severe decline giving the hiding they got in the last 12 months, compared to how many lone wolf attacks happened in 2015- 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Neither did Sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Stockholm_attack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Stockholm_bombings

Actually think the upcoming Papal mass is a very high risk event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

We're more likely to just aid and abet at Shannon International.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They could whack the pope in the park that would be a headline grabber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Didn't we once have plenty of home grown terrorists? It's not that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

The biggest loss of life on one day during the troubles happened in the republic , namely the Dublin and Monaghan bombings in 1974 so they have happened here already .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

SPDUB wrote: »
    The biggest loss of life on one day during the troubles happened in the republic , namely the Dublin and Monaghan bombings in 1974 so they have happened here already .

Unless Black September claim responsibility for them they won't even register in some obsessive minds around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

At a minimum, all it takes is one disaffected dickhead with a knife or a hatchback, so I'm pleasantly surprised that it hasn't happened already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

The idea that we haven't sent soldiers and are neutral so they aren't a threat illustrates how tone deaf some people are to Islamic Terrorism

Mike Hoch wrote: »
    There already was one in Dundalk in January. However, the amount of idiots ISIS is able to inspire is currently in severe decline giving the hiding they got in the last 12 months, compared to how many lone wolf attacks happened in 2015- 2018.

I disagree with labelling the murder in Dundalk as terrorism. It seems to have been the act of a mentally ill individual who just came from the Middle East. If some of the recent string of murders down here were committed by mentally ill Muslim people, it would probably be called terrorism as well. It's ridiculous.

That was committed by the UVF. The names of those involved are freely available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Allegedly carried out by agents of HM Govt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

At a minimum, all it takes is one disaffected dickhead with a knife or a hatchback, so I'm pleasantly surprised that it hasn't happened already.

It has. In Dundalk.

You won't hear any of the left wingers who go on about the Mary Boyle, Maurice McCabe and the breath test scandal be particularly interested in the creative talents of the Gardai in regards to this case however. It's best forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There will be lots if they stick a hard border back in Ireland

Mike Hoch wrote: »
    It has. In Dundalk.

You won't hear any of the left wingers who go on about the Mary Boyle, Maurice McCabe and the breath test scandal be particularly interested in the creative talents of the Gardai in regards to this case however. It's best forgotten about.
    Again, many people, myself included, would take issue with the Dundalk incident being called terrorism. It was clearly carried out by a mentally ill individual.

How many of these Islamist headbangers are there alleged to be in Ireland at this present moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

And the Omagh bombing was the single greatest loss of life

Try_harder wrote: »
    And the Omagh bombing was the single greatest loss of life

Twenty years ago tommorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Could it happen, absolutely. Will it happen, I really wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

This all sounds very familiar, a bit of the old copy and paste going on. The answer is yes. Plenty of MI6 and Loyalists still milling around.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057729256
    Dubh Linn wrote: »

I'm not talking about the IRA or groups from the North here, I'm talking about IS and Islamist terrorism.

After the Westminster attack, Frances Fitzgerald told the Dail that Ireland is not immune from terror attacks.

They have attacked promenades in Nice, theatres, restaurants, supermarkets, offices, airports and museums in Paris, beaches in Tunisia, Christmas markets in Berlin, airports and metros Brussels and Istanbul, Ankara, Stockholm, St. Petersburg and the list goes on. Good Christ, they have even attacked German football team buses now.

They haven't gone away. You should be more worried about them.

I'm forced to agree.

If there is a united Ireland, and let's face the fact that it's more likely to happen now compared to before, the loyalist groups would undoubtedly pose the largest threat, the UDA, UVF etc etc.

In order to combat them we'd need a larger army which could involve conscription, the creation of an Air Force and the expansion of the Navy. Once that's happened, it's bye bye neutrality. Sorry lefties.

I'm forced to agree.

If there is a united Ireland, and let's face the fact that it's more likely to happen now compared to before, the loyalist groups would undoubtedly pose the largest threat, the UDA, UVF etc etc.

In order to combat them we'd need a larger army which could involve conscription, the creation of an Air Force and the expansion of the Navy. Once that's happened, it's bye bye neutrality. Sorry lefties.

Doesn't sound very united to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

How many of these Islamist headbangers are there alleged to be in Ireland at this present moment?

63,000 as of the 2016 Census. Not that many,but we shouldn't get complacent. One in Waterford was sentenced for sending money to ISIS.

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-jailed-funding-islamic-state-4111114-Jul2018/

Advertisement