Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Options
  • 13-04-2017 9:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭

This is a question that is being asked by many people in Ireland at the moment.

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland? What would happen if there was?

I'm not talking about the IRA or groups from the North here, I'm talking about IS and Islamist terrorism.

After the Westminster attack, Frances Fitzgerald told the Dail that Ireland is not immune from terror attacks.

They have attacked promenades in Nice, theatres, restaurants, supermarkets, offices, airports and museums in Paris, beaches in Tunisia, Christmas markets in Berlin, airports and metros Brussels and Istanbul, Ankara, Stockholm, St. Petersburg and the list goes on. Good Christ, they have even attacked German football team buses now.

So, do you think Ireland could be next?

Do you think Ireland could be attacked by IS? 319 votes

Yes
    0% 1 vote
    No
    99% 318 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Yes it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Could happen anywhere. Why would Ireland be any different?

If the question is could it happen?
    Then yes.

Will we be next?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What was your other account

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Could happen anywhere. Why would Ireland be any different?

It will happen here simply because we're sitting ducks and our police force and citizenship are unarmed.

There's also a thriving left wing here to justify such an act and a media that will whitewash it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

I suppose, because we are neutral and all that, we would be less of a target? Would I be right in saying that? And also, where would be the most likely place for them to attack in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unfortunately I think it is inevitable. Not for reasons of Shannon or anything, just because we are a white western country. The thing that has saved us to date was that England is a more 'attractive' target.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    I suppose, because we are neutral and all that, we would be less of a target? Would I be right in saying that? And also, where would be the most likely place for them to attack in Ireland?

Leitrim.

I suppose, because we are neutral and all that,

Neutral in what way?

We're a democratic,Christian country with strong western values and numerous ties to America.

This isn't a matter of being neutral..We are targets because of who and what we are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

Could there be IS attackers in Ireland NOW?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Don't move... there's one RIGHT BEHIND YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yes.

Do I actively worry about it in the slightest? No.

Would I change the way I live my life if it did? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

PARlance wrote: »

You mean there IS one right behind you now.

Probably several hundred with a few thousand active sympatisers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Oh no there ISn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

One of Islamic State's goals is to breach Europe and spread fear.

Ireland is on the edge of Europe and IS would class a hit so far into Europe as a major win and may result in doing so as central European nations tighten their security.

We are a soft target from internal IS sympathisers and genuine IS combatants.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that we will be hit in some form.

No matter how you people like to think you live in a safe bubble and nobody cares about little aul us, this will never happen, that will never happen. Wake the fcuk up.

The main reason we have not been hit is because we are a strategic safe haven.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

jamesbere wrote: »
    Oh no there isn't

Oh yes there IS IS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Oh yes there IS IS

Oh no there ISn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Gatling wrote:
    What was your other account

He was just resting in the other account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

No. There has never been a terrorist attack on Irish soil. Ever.

No..wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

100% it will happen here. Yea they're are IS lads in Ireland, up to 300 they reckon.

If it can happen in Sweden it most certainly will happen here.

One of Islamic State's goals is to breach Europe and spread fear.

Ireland is on the edge of Europe and IS would class a hit so far into Europe as a major win and may result in doing so as central European nations tighten their security.

We are a soft target from internal IS sympathisers and genuine IS combatants.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that we will be hit in some form.

No matter how you people like to think you live in a safe bubble and nobody cares about little aul us, this will never happen, that will never happen. Wake the fcuk up.

The main reason we have not been hit is because we are a strategic safe haven.

People need realise that a war has been declared on ALL of the west..It's not going to be resolved by political means like previous wars we've managed to survive.

It is a war based on the triumph of the caliphate or the destruction of the caliphate.

They're winning so far because they've managed to pour unchecked into our largest European countries.

We need to arm our police and increase our army immediately and start taking this seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

MysticMonk wrote: »
    People need realise that a war has been declared on ALL of the west..It's not going to be resolved by political means like previous wars we've managed to survive.

It is a war based on the triumph of the caliphate or the destruction of the caliphate.

We need to arm our police immediately and start taking this seriously

Can't afford the guns. All the money's been spent on Breathalyzers.

We don't know. That's what makes them terrifying.

touts wrote: »
    Can't afford the guns. All the money's been spent on Breathalyzers.

Let private business pay for them then,they're the ones who'll feel the most unsafe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

MysticMonk wrote: »

We need to arm our police immediately and start taking this seriously

Arm them? They have guns already. They have used firearms 2,000,001 times in the last 2 years. Responding to 500,000 Terrorist events. These are their own figures.*

*may be made up. Numbers and the entire post. As per Garda protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think some retractable bollards would be a good idea on each end of Grafton Street and Mary Street after recent goings over the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

ISIS are on the way out. The highlight of their activity these days seems to be driving a car or a truck onto the pavement and killing a few pedestrians or some lad pulling out a knife and roaring a few things about Allah before getting shot by a soldier.

Advertisement