Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seatwave Closing Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Disappointing I've used it a few times for buying and selling are adverts and buy&sell going to now ban ticket listing?
    People will still want tickets and if in short supply they'll pay over sticker price there's no law going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,479 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Disappointing I've used it a few times for buying and selling are adverts and buy&sell going to now ban ticket listing?
    People will still want tickets and if in short supply they'll pay over sticker price there's no law going to change that.

Ticket listing isn't banned. Selling over the odds is.

And it will simply mean that touts will not buy tickets in huge quantities to resell because the most reliable platforms won't exist. Further, ticketmaster won't essentially double dip on fees.

It's great news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

More on the dole cue, thanks to left wing anti capitalist thinking. Let the free market decide prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Excellent news

Believe it when I see it, just makes the black market bigger.

• Advertisement

Believe it when I see it, just makes the black market bigger.

How so?

Ticket listing isn't banned. Selling over the odds is.

And it will simply mean that touts will not buy tickets in huge quantities to resell because the most reliable platforms won't exist. Further, ticketmaster won't essentially double dip on fees.

It's great news.

Was it not treble dipping?

handling charge when the ticket is purchased initially, handling charge for the reseller and handling charge for the new buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

"And instead we are going to introduce our new platform.. WaveSeat"

How so?

There's not enough to tickets for every event, it's basic enonomics from there on in. The market decided the value then, it still will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

judeboy101 wrote: »
    More on the dole cue, thanks to left wing anti capitalist thinking. Let the free market decide prices.

The free market as represented by TM were operating in a shady way. This is a good thing, especially when such a company has such an unfair advantage to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

judeboy101 wrote: »
    :pac:

yeah, because i'm sure the touts are sitting there declaring all the taxes on their ticket sales, and definitely not claiming the dole too if they can :rolleyes:

The free market as represented by TM were operating in a shady way. This is a good thing, especially when such a company has such an unfair advantage to begin with.

The chargers were criminal the concept shouldn't be. It'll just move to eBay UK or something similar.

There's not enough to tickets for every event, it's basic enonomics from there on in. The market decided the value then, it still will.

sure, except now it will be a lot harder for that value to be over face-value.

i'm sure it still will be on the street or some shady sites that the vast majority of people don't know about, but selling for more than face value is now banned, and there are less outlets to do it, then there'll be far less tickets sold for more than face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Great news. I've pretty much given up on going to concerts because of the ridiculous prices artists are charging now most are over €100 for **** seats. I'd rather go to a gig in Europe and make a weekend out of it, we are majorly ripped off compared to the likes of Amsterdam. I wonder will this push the prices up even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Handling charges and posting fees will go through the roof, 1 X Ed Sheeran ticket €79 + €399 P&P.
    It's only banned in Ireland, the market will just move to some platform not governed by the laws here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Part of the reason for short supply was the touts and ticketmaster using whatever means to scoop up large quantities of tickets purely to sell on for extortionate profits.
    Now, if the law works, there will be a better chance for those interested in the event getting tickets without being roasted.
    Handling charges and posting fees will go through the roof, 1 X Ed Sheeran ticket €79 + €399 P&P.
    It's only banned in Ireland, the market will just move to some platform not governed by the laws here.

No P&P fees when you go to a TM kiosk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Zardoz

This post has been deleted.

This announcement makes Ticketmaster look like the good guys but really its all just smoke and mirrors.
    Do people really think a company like Livenation/Ticketmaster are going to give up all that profit ?

There will be more tickets ring fenced for Platinum seats and more VIP packages launched.
    Dynamic ticket pricing will also be rolled out here .

It will mean a bigger cut for Ticketmaster and a further strengthening of their monopoly .
    Ticket prices will go up .
    Ticketmaster want to be the biggest tout of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The chargers were criminal the concept shouldn't be. It'll just move to eBay UK or something similar.

Sites like ebay will make it much easier to see who the touts are. Making many less likely to buy from them a 2nd time, and will probably get bad ratings from people who feel forced to pay way over the odds because all the tickets have been bought up by touts.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Zardoz wrote: »
    This announcement makes Ticketmaster look like the good guys but really its all just smoke and mirrors.
    Do people really think a company like Livenation/Ticketmaster are going to give up all that profit ?

There will be more tickets ring fenced for Platinum seats and more VIP packages launched.
    Dynamic ticket pricing will also be rolled out here .

It will mean a bigger cut for Ticketmaster and a further strengthening of their monopoly .
    Ticket prices will go up .
    Ticketmaster want to be the biggest tout of all.

TM have platinum seats for U2 for sale at 600e. The tickets are all upper tier seats. Tout prices for crap seats.

• Advertisement

It's banned in most of the U.S. and is expected across Europe.
    https://www.europe-consommateurs.eu/en/news-and-alerts/sports-and-events/the-resell-of-tickets-in-the-eu-forbidden-or-allowed/

"Ticket prices will go up"

given the absolute sh1tload of big events not selling out at the moment, I'm not sure that's a sound business strategy...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Suckit wrote: »

That's not completely clear. If that means any resell of tickets then it's terrible news for consumers - why should people not be able to resell tickets that they can't use? Or is it exclusively relating to resell above face value?

Also, reselling tickets is not banned in the US. Have you never used StubHub etc. over there?

Amirani wrote: »
    That's not completely clear. If that means any resell of tickets then it's terrible news for consumers - why should people not be able to resell tickets that they can't use? Or is it exclusively relating to resell above face value?

Also, reselling tickets is not banned in the US. Have you never used StubHub etc. over there?

If you click each Country on that map it states whether or not they allow it. Some do (Portugal, Germany) some don't (France, Spain) but it is expected to be tightened everywhere within the next few years.

Yes, I know stubhub, I only said 'most of the U.S.' but I was wrong. The majority of the U.S. allow it :eek: (shocked by that one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticket_resale#United_States

I wouldn't have a problem with touts in general. But when a gig goes on sale and is sold out in 10 minutes, only to go back on sale at 4 times the original price, that's ridiculous.

This is great news for the general public. There'll still be the possibility for touts to make money out of tickets, it's just less likely to be extortionate amounts anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

The market didnt decide the value. TM did.

They claimed concerts were sold out in minutes - but then the tickets reappeared at massively inflated prices on Seatwave. So they were never available to sell at the original prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Zardoz

....... wrote: »

They claimed concerts were sold out in minutes - but then the tickets reappeared at massively inflated prices on Seatwave. So they were never available to sell at the original prices.

What lame excuse will people spin after October when events still sell out in seconds ?
    They wont be able to blame Seatwave anymore.

....... wrote: »

well no, a tiny proportion of tickets reappeared at inflated prices, and for most gigs sat there for months without being bought....

any gigs that sell out in seconds are down to demand from normal people and being sold to them at original prices.

if TM were holding back tickets to put onto Seatwave, they were doing an absolutely dreadful job of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Suckit wrote: »
    If you click each Country on that map it states whether or not they allow it. Some do (Portugal, Germany) some don't (France, Spain) but it is expected to be tightened everywhere within the next few years

That's a shocking situation in France/Spain and pretty terrible for consumers. You buy a ticket for a gig 9 months away and something comes up in the meantime meaning you can't go. You're left stuck with a gig ticket that it's illegal for you to sell on? Rubbish.

I've never sold a ticket about face value, but have had to sell on tickets for gigs I couldn't make plenty of times in the past. Banning that is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Zardoz wrote: »
    What lame excuse will people spin after October when events still sell out in seconds ?
    They wont be able to blame Seatwave anymore.

I dont think anyone minds an event genuinely selling out in seconds.

Its when it sells out in seconds and 5 minutes later thousands of tickets appear on Seatwave at massively inflated prices that is the issue.

Advertisement