Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels? Look here for transmitter/reception issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

similar challenge here on RTE1..
    one aerial in attic with single feed to TV.
    Samsung TV direct picks up all channels.
    TV passthrough from Formuler F1 gets all channels.
    Full scan on Formuler F1 either on Maghera or Tonabrocky cannot pick up RTE1.. Others are fine, signal shows 100% SNR, 321.1

is it simply signal strength? any pointers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

rkdub wrote: »
    similar challenge here on RTE1..
    one aerial in attic with single feed to TV.
    Samsung TV direct picks up all channels.
    TV passthrough from Formuler F1 gets all channels.
    Full scan on Formuler F1 either on Maghera or Tonabrocky cannot pick up RTE1.. Others are fine, signal shows 100% SNR, 321.1

is it simply signal strength? any pointers?

Fine on passthrough. Too much signal!!!!

Turn down you masthead amp.

Anyway Setup, Tuner, Signal Finder. Change the tuner to dvb-t. And go between the 2 mux frequencies for 48 and 55. If its coming in full whack pressing okay will scan them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

STB. wrote: »
    Fine on passthrough. Too much signal!!!!

Turn down you masthead amp.

Anyway Setup, Tuner, Signal Finder. Change the tuner to dvb-t. And go between the 2 mux frequencies for 48 and 55. If its coming in full whack pressing okay will scan them in.
    Thanks. Did the trick.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭mike2084

ESB outage on Cnoc an Oir at the moment all Saorview and FM radio services are off air. ESB estimate outage restored by 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

We've had good reception of a lot of the UK channels here for quite a while now. However over the past few months, they're glitching out. I'm in Louth so I'm assuming I'm getting my Saorview from Clermont Carn and NI TV from Divis (Rostrevor?). I'm wondering if it's from something Saorview did, or perhaps it's some 4G interference - it definitely looks like interference. I have the same old antenna that I used for analog (flat, with 4 crossed wires in front of a mesh screen) - should I upgrade that, perhaps to one of those 32-element high gain ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's likely to be some problem with your aerial. When you had a perfect picture, the signal could still have been just about enough, and a small reduction would cause problems.

You should be able to see the signal strength on some menu. Also the channel numbers / frequencies, which will identify the transmitter site. I can get both Divis and Camlough in Dundalk, but Rostrevor would be very unlikely.

Change Divis to Camlough on this site to see the listings for both.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/divis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It's likely to be some problem with your aerial. When you had a perfect picture, the signal could still have been just about enough, and a small reduction would cause problems.

You should be able to see the signal strength on some menu. Also the channel numbers / frequencies, which will identify the transmitter site. I can get both Divis and Camlough in Dundalk, but Rostrevor would be very unlikely.

Change Divis to Camlough on this site to see the listings for both.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/divis

Thanks for that. It's interesting that I used to be able to get all the channels on Divis but now all I can get are those on Camlough, and they glitch. I think I need to have a chat with a TV guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If its any help to anyone who gets Freeview Lite I see ITV 3 has been added to the lineup during the week. It does necessitate a re-scan of the channels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Maghera off the air? No TV or radio since 7:30 pm

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Yeah seems so. No signal from Maghera here in Shannon.

• Advertisement

Castlebar Tx off the air since 7.30 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

still off, looks bad no news on website and its a long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

peking97 wrote: »
    Yeah seems so. No signal from Maghera here in Shannon.

Maghera, Castlebar and Tonabrucky all off air this eve. These latter two are fed from Maghera. Cairn Hill and Truskmore unaffected. I can receive all 5 at my location. Kilduff also gets in but ch. 56 is swamped by the strong signal from Maghera on ch. 55. I would imagine the thunder storms in the area led to the outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Appears to be back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Still getting lots of errors in the stream here.
    Not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

RTE 1 / +1 wouldn't show this evening, did a retune and they are dropped completely. I still have RTE2/RTE News/TV3 etc. In Dublin, north city. Anyone else seeing issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

On the east coast we get RTE from Forth Mt, and UK channels from Wales We're used to RTE1 vanishing and BBC1 appearing in its place but now all the BBC radio and TV channels have gone. I've done an auto retune and ITV and junk channels are back, but nothing from BBC. Just atmospherics in this good weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Sysmod wrote: »
    On the east coast we get RTE from Forth Mt, and UK channels from Wales We're used to RTE1 vanishing and BBC1 appearing in its place but now all the BBC radio and TV channels have gone. I've done an auto retune and ITV and junk channels are back, but nothing from BBC. Just atmospherics in this good weather?

No reported faults at the Preseli transmitter anyway, according to the BBC transmitter checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

I get my channels from Preseli and nothing has changed here but interestingly I get RTE channels etc from Mt Leinster and have the same problem as you but in reverse -- all channels from Mt Leinster disappear.
    Then as if by magic they all return again. Today the signal bar says "good" whereas it normally says "excellent" --- my aerial isn't a spectacular one and could be mounted in a better position but hey "It's only TV " !!

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I am having loss of signal, picture constantly breaking up with rte 2, tv3 and tg4, but rte 1 and +1 are perfect. Im in the waterford area.
    Is this an aerial issue? Or a transmitter issue?

• Advertisement

I am having loss of signal, picture constantly breaking up with rte 2, tv3 and tg4, but rte 1 and +1 are perfect. Im in the waterford area.

It's probably due to atmospheric conditions above the sea, providing a path for enhanced propagation of transmissions from across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

There are two groups or muxes of channels. Rte 1 and +1 are combined and the others are broadcast separately. Normally there is not much difference in signal and reception but if your aerial is close to the limit one group may be OK and the other may be bad. I would normally recommend a rooftop aerial professionally installed. Often the old one is rusty and water damaged and possibly pointing the wrong way due to the wind. If it continues for more than a few days, then it is a problem on your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Was watching RTÉ 2 and tv just went blank - around 8.45pm all Saorview channels gone - crosshaven mast

Since when did BBC 3 disappear, I'm full sure I was watching it lately in fact I am 100% sure I had that channel up till very recently, but now its gone, but according to their wiki page it went dark 2 years ago.

Since when did BBC 3 disappear, I'm full sure I was watching it lately in fact I am 100% sure I had that channel up till very recently, but now its gone, but according to their wiki page it went dark 2 years ago.

This is a Terrestrial thread/section :)

Yep gone for some considerable time from Satellite ...... now on line only.

So you are mistaken .... unless you were watching on line or watching a recording. ;)

This is a Terrestrial thread/section :)

Yep gone for some considerable time from Satellite ...... now on line only.

So you are mistaken .... unless you were watching on line or watching a recording. ;)

Sorry my bad.

I must be going mad so. I was sure I had that channel recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Phibsboro wrote: »
    RTE 1 / +1 wouldn't show this evening, did a retune and they are dropped completely. I still have RTE2/RTE News/TV3 etc. In Dublin, north city. Anyone else seeing issues?
    Yeah me too, had my panasonic for 2yrs & only scanned for saorview channels today, was using a combo box until now, tv didnt pick up rte1 & +1 no matter I did, Dublin three rock is my transmitter .......:confused:

Check for maintenance downtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Check for maintenance downtime?
    I found this but should have been sorted when I scanned yesterday, Ill try later on again,
    Due to essential maintenance, our Kippure transmitter will be subject to an outage totalling 8 hours between 08:00 and 17:00 over 8th & 9th August 2018. The relay transmitter at Laragh will also be affected.

• Advertisement

lensman wrote: »
    Yeah me too, had my panasonic for 2yrs & only scanned for saorview channels today, was using a combo box until now, tv didnt pick up rte1 & +1 no matter I did ...

Hardly coincidence that the problem started when you switched receivers. It's possible your signal was always poor, & the TV doesn't cope as well. Or maybe just unplugging/plugging in the aerial upset a connection.

Are you using a set-top aerial?

Advertisement