Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Early House

Options
  • 10-08-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Can you tell me if there are still any early house pubs in the city. I know there used to be but are there any that still open. If so can you advise where they are, I think I’ll need the cure on Sunday morning.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Hi All,

Can you tell me if there are still any early house pubs in the city. I know there used to be but are there any that still open. If so can you advise where they are, I think I’ll need the cure on Sunday morning.

Thanks

Sals on the Quay by Bus Station if you really need it

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

The pub beside Mount Sion school on Barrack St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Thanks guys,

There’s a crowd of us landing at 12 tomorrow so I’d say we’ll have a few lads looking on Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Be warned though Sals is an absolute scumbag joint so enter with extreme caution and no eye contact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

Be warned though Sals is an absolute scumbag joint so enter with extreme caution and no eye contact!

Not really true to be honest.

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »

Eh, yes its 100% true. Even your unsure "not really" shows you don't believe your own post.
    Sals is absolutely rough as dogs, everyone in Waterford knows that. But if you like it down there, maybe your a certain type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Eh, yes its 100% true. Even your unsure "not really" shows you don't believe your own post.
    Sals is absolutely rough as dogs, everyone in Waterford knows that. But if you like it down there, maybe your a certain type of person.

Drank down there a bit, not by any means one of my first choice pubs but I've never once seen an ounce of bother and the lads working there are very friendly. I'd say you're a certain type of person, you certainly sound like your head is up your hole anyway pal 👍🏻👍🏻

Drank down there a bit, not by any means one of my first choice pubs but I've never once seen an ounce of bother and the lads working there are very friendly. I'd say you're a certain type of person, you certainly sound like your head is up your hole anyway pal 👍🏻👍🏻

I actually based my opinion on experience there. Maybe you were there a lot of times when there wasn't trouble and maybe the lads you dealt with were friendly but that does not mean the place isn't a scumbag hole. Ive been there several times and was never as happy to finish the pint and get the hell out of there. It opens early for a reason so that winos and scum can get drunk all day and cause trouble for decent people who want to wind down. This, coupled with the many many tales of trouble I heard from that place (from decent people) means that theres definitely no smoke without fire.

But you are fully entitled to your opinion too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I walk past there most mornings and it doesn't like like its open early. Do you have to knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Didn’t need it in the end, decided to catch the early train home instead so was in my own house just after 10:30am...... the body was far happier come lunchtime. Thanks for the opinions anyway everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I actually based my opinion on experience there. Maybe you were there a lot of times when there wasn't trouble and maybe the lads you dealt with were friendly but that does not mean the place isn't a scumbag hole. Ive been there several times and was never as happy to finish the pint and get the hell out of there. It opens early for a reason so that winos and scum can get drunk all day and cause trouble for decent people who want to wind down. This, coupled with the many many tales of trouble I heard from that place (from decent people) means that theres definitely no smoke without fire.

But you are fully entitled to your opinion too.

Why did you go there several times if its as bad as you say it is?

Ya know what, I could argue with you. But I couldn't be ars3d.

Fight fight fight fight!!!!!!!!

Ya know what, I could argue with you. But I couldn't be ars3d.

Its not an argument. Everyone is entitled to their view. And in my view, based on my own experiences and the tales of others, is that Sals is a rough pub.

Its not an argument. Everyone is entitled to their view. And in my view, based on my own experiences and the tales of others, is that Sals is a rough pub.

Well you are obviously a very sensitive soul in that case.

Well you are obviously a very sensitive soul in that case.

Im not sure if you are saying that someone who thinks a pub frequented by drunks and troublemakers is rough can be called sensitive or what but whatever, its a rough pub in my view. Not in yours, cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I thought Jordans was an early house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Few times I've been in there its been fine...

Deiseen wrote: »
    Few times I've been in there its been fine...

Think its just one of these places that builds up a bad rep from years back. People that have never been there going Jesus i wouldn't go in there boy.a lot people have downer on all the pubs on the quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

shockwave wrote: »
    I thought Jordans was an early house?

Weren't all the pubs on the quay early house's when it was a functioning port?,back when men were men and not as sensitive as the "men" today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Weren't all the pubs on the quay early house's when it was a functioning port?,back when men were men and not as sensitive as the "men" today :D

I don't think 'all' were - or chose not to be.
    There were definitely sufficient of them open nearly all night and early mornings for those working on the docks who wanted 'a tipple'. :)

Advertisement