Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Michael D Higgins’ €3,000 a night hotel stays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

So a presidential hopeful just so happened to be given this information by a ‘concerned citizen’ Yeah right Craughwell ya hopeless idiot, you know you haven’t a hope so you try and find as much dirt on your opponent in order to blacken their name. What an utter prick, I wouldn’t vote for a low down mid slinging wanker like that if he paid me.

If you read the article you would have noted Craughwell was described as FORMER Presidential candidate. He is not running. I guess commenting is more important than actually reading the article or OP. Well done though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Christ. Is this still going on.

Mother ireland is rearing them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I heard he ordered the most expensive caviar when staying in the hotel, then just threw it all in the bin as he laughed like a maniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

dudara wrote:
    Prices in Switzerland can be extremely expensive. Pizzas for dinner can cost €40-50. So likewise a room in a 5* hotel for a country’s president will be also expensive.

Hope to f**k he didn't order a pizza so

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So we dont have any evidence that he did actually spend a night in a 3,000 a night suite?

No. Just speculation. We also dont know who paid his hotel either.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It is ALL about the FOI exemption, nothing else. I'd guess there is quite a struggle going on about this, but it will require a change to FOI legislation to remove the exemption. Hmmm who will bring forward that Bill in the Dail?

Taxpayers deserve better than a blanket NO Comment, Exempt!

Whether you like Craughwell or not, he has raised an important issue, that might just grow legs in the Silly Season!

Perhaps the silly season journos should start digging further into what Craughwell and other prospective candidates have been sending out to Councillors. We should start FOIing what gifts Senators give to Councillors maybe and what else Craughwell is emailing Coincillors.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/potential-presidential-candidate-offered-free-tickets-to-councillors-1.3570629?mode=amp

http://www.thejournal.ie/gerard-craughwell-expenses-3802046-Jan2018/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Obviously you haven't been in hospital much.
    Sometimes empty beds can't be filled and surgeries can't go ahead because there aren't enough nurses to safely attend to all patients.

Oh sweetest Lord in heaven.

Let's just leave it at that.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Oh sweetest Lord in heaven.

Let's just leave it at that.

I think it's a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Read the article. If the hosts paid great. Seems odd though going to an event decrying capitalism considering the open market economy of the country he is President of.

Mickey d always puts his own political views ahead of the national interest as far as I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mickey d always puts his own political views ahead of the national interest as far as I can see
    Well he is a left wing intellectual. They always know whats good for the great unwashed proletariat while sending their kids to private school and availing of the best V.H.I. plan.
    Am I correct Mr Higgins and Mrs. Robinson?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Let him stay where he wants. Just think of the savings made when he's getting a suit tailored.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Edgware wrote: »
    Well he is a left wing intellectual. They always know whats good for the great unwashed proletariat while sending their kids to private school and availing of the best V.H.I. plan.
    Am I correct Mr Higgins and Mrs. Robinson?

I suggest we should leave politicians' children out of this

afaik MDH lived in Galway except when he was working abroad. Excellent choice of secondary schools in the city. I presume his children attended some of these

Mary Robinson is a Bourke from Ballina. She and her brothers went to the poshest of schools.

I think it odd that MDH goes abroad to attack the "capitalist system". We have a small open economy dependent on trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it is funny though how the media put it out there that hes a great president and now anyone you ask if he should do another term are all in agreement "oh yes hes a great president" why? they can never really say why.

Yes... I don't get that either! :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I really liked Sharkey's vision. He is much clearer on what Ireland is about.

topper75 wrote: »
    I really liked Sharkey's vision. He is much clearer on what Ireland is about.

Thankfully most Irish people would not support Sharkeys narrow racist vision.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Such a stupid statement, even for someone trying to provoke.

The man is respected, not worshipped, and he does a very good job as Head of State, representing the people at home and the Nation abroad.

Two things stick out about this story, Craughwell and the Indo. It should tell everyone what they need to know about this topic.

The €30m figure highlighted to fund the Presidency is of course over 7 years. How many Royal courts and Presidencies across Europe would be jealous of the bang we get for such a small buck? Cheap at treble the price.

As for Switzerland, its most likely that if MDH was invited that he was also accommodated on the Conference dime, thats usually the way. Craughwell is just a bitter spiteful egotist, i have no clue as to why he holds his own position and influence is such regard. He has no such record of public service or great achievement to warrant it.

Yeah, it is €30m over seven years, breaks down over the term of office to €4,285,714.29 per annum.

The CSO has the population of the State from the 2016 census at 4,761,865.

If the Head of State is costing less than €1 per person per year then to me that is a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mr Higgins's travel bill has increased more than threefold since taking office - from €85,000 in his first year to an estimated €310,000 last year.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-how-much-the-office-of-the-president-costs-over-seven-years-36785078.html

He is running up the costs, it use to be a lot cheaper...first year in office for Michael D cost €2.9 million, last year it was €4.3 million.
    But he now takes the Government jet to go to sporting events abroad when there is no need and flying to Kerry for a concert and basically just pissing tax payers money away.
    No wonder the annual bill for the Presidency has gone up near 50% in costs since he took office. It is bordering on corruption the way taxpayers money is being abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-how-much-the-office-of-the-president-costs-over-seven-years-36785078.html

He is running up the costs, it use to be a lot cheaper...first year in office for Michael D cost €2.9 million, last year it was €4.3 million.
    But he now takes the Government jet to go to sporting events abroad when there is no need and flying to Kerry for a concert and basically just pissing tax payers money away.
    No wonder the annual bill for the Presidency has gone up near 50% in costs since he took office. It is bordering on corruption the way taxpayers money is being abused.

How come you don't quote this bit from your link
    The President's spokesperson said Mr Higgins had waived 23.5pc of his salary, amounting to €76,493 in a year, since taking office, and had also gifted his ministerial and TD pensions back to the State.

"That decision brought the President's salary to the current figure of €249,014 per annum, which has been maintained over the intervening years. This is also the salary level which will apply to the next holder of the office," the spokesperson said.

"During his term in office, President Michael D Higgins has not drawn down, and will not draw down, any pension entitlements arising from his previous services as a member of the Oireachtas or as a Government minister.

"The President thus gifts €169,952 to the State every year. This amount is constituted as follows: €76,493 voluntary reduction of his salary as President; €53,558 in Oireachtas pension payments; and €39,901 of ministerial pension not drawn down."

That's over a million euro he's given the state.

It really sound like he's ripping us off. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Disgraceful if true, still support the man though

Hows it disgraceful?? his the ****in president of the country, were not a bunch of paupers at all... the way people are going on he should be staying in a Air BnB or a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Grayson wrote: »

Oh my word, what are all the outraged citizens going to think about that?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cupatae wrote:
    Hows it disgraceful?? his the ****in president of the country, were not a bunch of paupers at all... the way people are going on he should be staying in a Air BnB or a hostel.

I'd say he might enjoy a hostel, sounds like he likes the company of young people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Clearly you dont know what corruption is.

While still costing the state far more than what he cost the state at the start of his 7 year term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Must we applaud him because he decides to take a cut in his excessive salary and pensions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Plus he is quite small, and should be cheaper to run and maintain that bigger politicians we might have elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Edgware wrote: »

Must we applaud him because he decides to take a cut in his excessive salary and pensions?

What bit of "OP conveniently ignored these facts" is not clear ????

Chiparus wrote: »
    Clearly you dont know what corruption is.

Maybe if his office was subject to FOI we would be able to know. His use of the government jet is very generous, the huge increase in foreign trips.
    Publicly available figures show the department set a target of five State visits by the President in 2015 but this increased to 10 by the end of the year. Similarly a target of seven was set in 2016 but this rose to nine.

The need for two BMWs costing more than €200,000...
    It was reported last year that two top-of-the-range BMWs estimated to cost more than €200,000 were bought for the President.

He is running for office again because he likes living the high life paid for by idiots who can’t see past his waste of public money. He hosts media types who then write glowing articles or speak lovingly of him in the media, and it leads to where most don’t question the sheer waste of money going on at the Aras.
    It is bordering on state assisted corruption when it is exempt from FOI and the president then can waste money on the government jet, very expensive hotels, doubled the number of foreign working holidays where one is treated like a king.

Michael D made the claim his use of the government jet which cost €50,000 in the first three months of the year was done to benefit air corps pilots who need to fly to keep their license. He is a spoofer as how did they keep their licenses in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Maybe if his office was subject to FOI we would be able to know. His use of the government jet is very generous, the huge increase in foreign trips.

The need for two BMWs costing more than €200,000...

He is running for office again because he likes living the high life paid for by idiots who can’t see past his waste of public money. He hosts media types who then write glowing articles or speak lovingly of him in the media, and it leads to where most don’t question the sheer waste of money going on at the Aras.
    It is bordering on state assisted corruption when it is exempt from FOI and the president then can waste money on the government jet, very expensive hotels, doubled the number of foreign working holidays where one is treated like a king.

Michael D made the claim his use of the government jet which cost €50,000 in the first three months of the year was done to benefit air corps pilots who need to fly to keep their license. He is a spoofer as how did they keep their licenses in the past?

Really looking forward to his re-election. Has done the country proud.

Plus he is quite small, and should be cheaper to run and maintain that bigger politicians we might have elected.

A career in comedy is certainly not on your horizon. Very childish.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd say he might enjoy a hostel, sounds like he likes the company of young people

Any chance you might explain what you mean here ?

Advertisement