Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living in a van (Dublin)

• 09-08-2018 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Is anyone doing this currently? I found a similar thread from end 2017 but can’t post in it so it must be closed.

I’m in my 30’s and work full time in Dublin in a respectable job for an ok wage. I can’t afford a mortgage as I have other responsibilities that along with the astronomical cost of rent in Dublin prevent me from saving towards one.
    The rental situation in the city and surrounding areas is truly shocking. I’ve work and landlord references, deposit etc but even with alerts set yp for suitable listings within an already stretched budget I find it hard to get viewings. When I do, I end up wasting my time looking at places that I wouldn’t put a dog in.... for the pleasure of forking out half my monthly wage no thanks.

Genuinely thinking a basic van conversion that I can sell later but rent a parking space to live out of in the medium term seems like a viable more affordable option. I could join a gym for showering esp at weekends, and there’s one in my place of work also.

Any tips welcome.

I’m not at all fussy about living conditions and have backpacked and camped manys a time in my holiday/free time, but when I am working hard I need to see my wage work for me. In the current market & pricing I just don’t, so am looking for a way to fix that while having a clean comfortable affordable place to return to in the evenings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Although it's not relevant to living in a city like Dublin you might get some ideas on small details from this guy.

https://youtu.be/UaQ0NL7MrcA

https://youtu.be/GPYMXWBXS8s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

it would play havoc with your eating habits and restrict your ability to cook healthy foods etc. might also take a toll on mental health.

would you not consider living in a caravan? IE you have a bed, cooking and showering facilities , TV et without the mortgage/big rent price tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Would you consider a boat?

More space & comfort than a van and perhaps easier to find a fixed location on which to base yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Big issue would be cleanliness. I wouldn't fancy sitting in work beside someone who sleeps in a van with no running water. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Renting a parking spot usually means it’s in a private, management company controlled estate. If the neighbors see that you are living in this van, they will report you and the permit revolked.

I see what you are trying to do but I fear you’d be constantly driving to different sites and parking spots throughout the city to make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Only one way; try. Assuming you would have a camping stove? No reason not to eat well and similalry re hygiene . And good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Shows what this country is going to, best of luck with it op if it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Instagram page for someone doing the exact same thing
    https://www.instagram.com/fortheroadtrip/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

fortheroadtrip is quality, could easily be turned into a book or tv series.

Possibly the cheapest ($150), smallest and stealthiest was made my this chap
    https://www.elitereaders.com/man-builds-mini-camper-home-powered-surprising-source/?cn-reloaded=1
    Ironically one of the key materials was 'property for sale' signs.
    Along with duct tape, cable ties, foil insulation and a few screws

Probably the best quality (not cheap 50k+ new) and highest functionality (for it's size) is the VW doubleback
    http://www.doubleback.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Full time workers looking at the option of living in a van.
    Families of 7 sleeping in Garda stations.
    The system is well and truly f**ked and the sad reality is the government seem either apathetic or powerless to do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

M.Cribben wrote: »
    The system is well and truly f**ked and the sad reality is the government seem either apathetic or powerless to do anything about it.

Many google workers in SF live in caravans and trucks in the parking lot

that woman was offered a home and declined it.

This is the reality of city living costs now, if you don't have a partner to split the rent with , you're basically screwed.

you can get a 3 month mooring at grand canal dock for a houseboat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Probably apathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This post has been deleted.

yet the government lets them decline properties and live in hotels... there are so many apartments in Dublin City that could be rented out to people who work.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Give it a go! There are some great DIY conversions out there - one of my favourites its vandogtraveller.com, he converted an old LDV van.

It's sad that the rent situation has gotten this bad - but what can you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Apocalypse2018

i am living in a tent near my workplace, its not so badhave privacy since its in the bushes. i am looking into building underground house maybe no one willl notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭snowcat

The system is well and truly f**ked and the sad reality is the government seem either apathetic or powerless to do anything about it.[/QUOT

A woman with 6 kids. Did she not consider contraceptives at any stage. In a shelter her family would be putting 7 individual homeless people on the street. Dont know her circumstances but i am 40 plus and earning 150k and still have to think long and hard about a second child.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

i am living in a tent near my workplace, its not so badhave privacy since its in the bushes. i am looking into building underground house maybe no one willl notice!

For how long?
    What about when it rains heavily, or when the summer is over?

Why not just share? Plenty of rooms on daft/myhome

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    Would you consider a boat?

More space & comfort than a van and perhaps easier to find a fixed location on which to base yourself.

Where would you find a "fixed location" put the boat? Legally I mean, or where you don't have to pay.

12 miles out to sea in international waters?

Where would you find a "fixed location" put the boat? Legally I mean, or where you don't have to pay.

There was an excellent item on youtube about this; works out better than you would think.

• Advertisement

It is after all like bedsitter life. Perfectly feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

snowcat wrote: »

A woman with 6 kids. Did she not consider contraceptives at any stage. In a shelter her family would be putting 7 individual homeless people on the street. Dont know her circumstances but i am 40 plus and earning 150k and still have to think long and hard about a second child.

According to the RTE news the lady in question was offered and refused emergency housing on the basis that it was unsuitable to house her children, instead she chose to house her childern on chairs in one of the busiest Gardai Stations in the country.

I’m not at all fussy about living conditions and have backpacked and camped manys a time in my holiday/free time, but when I am working hard I need to see my wage work for me. In the current market & pricing I just don’t, so am looking for a way to fix that while having a clean comfortable affordable place to return to in the evenings.
    there are some interesting conversion utube videos.
    As noted in the long term parking it would be an issue.
    The issue of food costs as you would have to install the facility or buy precooked food all the time or even just the ability to have a hot drink.
    Even witn good insulation while the summer would be fine but the winter would be very cold without an ability to heat the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Never said it would be free.

You lease a mooring at a dock. Should include electricity and water also.

Have read of people doing this to save money on rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    Never said it would be free.

You lease a mooring at a dock. Should include electricity and water also.

Have read of people doing this to save money on rent.

Where was the question I asked.

You're the one who that proposed it as a viable alternative, perhaps you could tell us where?

there are some interesting conversion utube videos.
    As noted in the long term parking it would be an issue.
    The issue of food costs as you would have to install the facility or buy precooked food all the time or even just the ability to have a hot drink.
    Even witn good insulation while the summer would be fine but the winter would be very cold without an ability to heat the space.

I lived last winter with no electricity. It is perfectly workable with a camping stove such as I had.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I lived last winter with no electricity. It is perfectly workable with a camping stove such as I had.

With no proper ventilation and having to live and sleep in a small space the use of a camp stove can be a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Where was the question I asked.

You're the one who that proposed it as a viable alternative, perhaps you could tell us where?

Plenty of locations. Grand canal dock and the moorings fees are quiet reasonable. Can buy a barge for as much as you’d pay on rent in one year. Alternatively the Shannon. I’m sure there’s more I’m just not familiar with them. I was considering buying a barge at grand canal dock a few years ago as an investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Yes, its possible.

I work in Cork, a full time professional in a good status job and live in a van.

Been living in my van for a year. Nobody at work knows.

Fuc*ked if I am giving all my money to rent gangsters and I am to old to share with randomers. I also have my dogs which stay with me often.

Best move Ive ever made.

For full time - You need a long wheel base, high roof van, gas cooker, insulation and most overlooked - ventilation, damp in a bitch in the Winter.

I choose a Sprinter.

You need a 100Ah 12v battery to run your laptop, lights and USB stuff, all charged by a Voltage Sensitive Regulator hooked to the engine. Solar is a possibility.

If you can shower at work - that is a huge bonus, I am putting in a shower /toilet soon in mine.

Build yourself a decent fixed bed with a real mattress.

You need to be willing to learn how to do the basic conversion and stuff, I had NO experience in any of this and have learnt everything along the way.

Everything is on google. Be brave and tear into it. It can be done quite cheaply, my sprinter was E3500 once I had it serviced and on the road, and maybe another E1000 for basic conversion so I can start to live in it.

Once your in it, you can keep tipping away at the conversion , by the time Im done, my van will be nicer than 90% of small apartments out there, I a have a lot of plans still.

Tax etc - Insured as a commercial and taxed as private van, this is a huge dark area , I am re-registering the van as a camper for tax and insurance before Winter. Paperwork and official Ireland is the tricky part of the whole set up.

Mentally, you need to be open minded, not judge yourself for doing it - I think I am ahead of the game here and surviving well in a tough environment.

IN NO WAY DOES MY LIFE CHOICE MAKE ME FEEL A FAILURE / LESSER THAN OTHERS. I get a kick from beating the system a bit.

Maintain your social life in the evenings - so you are not in van all the time. Embrace it and pat yourself on the back for being gung ho and thinking outside the box. So many Irish are total judgemental conformists.

URBAN VANNING:

Keep the van low key, mine looks like a commercial goods van outside, windows in the roof, none in the side. Plenty of light and no on knows I'm in here.

Parking - You will find a few spots around the place if you look, open your eyes and get on google maps.

Night Parking Golden Rule - Get to your spot late and leave early. Do not get out of van once parked for night, be invisible.

Ive had ZERO hassle from Guards, drunks , anyone, and I am parking in the center of Cork.

I am proud of the life I have carved out, I am saving for a deposit for a house, and actually getting somewhere.

My running costs are food, fuel and I do service teh van twice a year as I rely on her so much.

You will develop a bond with the vehicle, beyond a mere van.

I think its very, very ,much like being on a boat. You MUST be clean and tidy, this will not work if you are a slob, small spaces get destroyed quickly from day to day living.

I'm glad someone else is thinking this, Just do it, if it dont work out for you, at least you tried.

Think outside the box, have faith in yourself and do it, and FU%K what society thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Excellent post above

Advertisement