Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will the Crypto landscape look like post ETF launch?

Options
  • 08-08-2018 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I'm curious to hear other peoples opinions on this.  It seems that big money (sooner or later) will enter the market pretty soon.  What will this mean for the ordinary joe 'speculators' that have been dabbling in the market right now?  Will most of the speculation and 'investing' end up being carried out on conventional platforms (for both big and individual speculators/investors)? Will those that currently use the nascent crypto exchanges move over to the bigger established trading platforms?
    Will there be an impact on transaction fees (presumably in favour of the investor given the insane profits binance/coinbase/kraken, etc have been reporting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You’re making the huge presumption there that the SEC will approve the establishment of an ETF. And that investors will put money into a wildly manipulated crypto currency - Tether and Bitifnex being the largest two elephants in a room filled with elephants. It’s not a healthy, auditable, and honest product, and there’s little good for the SEC in approving it- especially when they are investigating Tether and other exchanges for various financial crimes..

As ana side, I do find it amusing that institutional money, Fiat, and government approval is now seen as the potential saviour of crypto - far far away from the libertarian principals being espoused before Christmas. At the end of the day, bag holders are looking for anything that will raise the prices so they can minimise their loses by offloading to a new generation of ‘canny investor’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Thank you for your contribution. There's much in what you've stated that I don't agree with. However, it would take the thread and subject off track were I to respond to it - so I won't.

I'd like to leave the subject open to others though - so please don't hesitate to post below.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Thank you for your contribution. There's much in what you've stated that I don't agree with. However, it would take the thread and subject off track were I to respond to it - so I won't.

I'd like to leave the subject open to others though - so please don't hesitate to post below.

I get the reasoning behind this but there is some validity to what he's saying.
    But I guess to answer the question at hand, how will it look? momentary spike followed by a plateau or drop back when people see its not mooning.

If the ETF is established and it doesn't have a big impact on the crypto landscape what is the next big development for Crypto? (Thats a genuine question)
    I think the market will regain but I reckon it will take a long time. I do think what the bull run earlier in the year has done is brought more people into the world of investing, not just crypto, in general though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

I'm of the opinion that ETFs are a sidetrack to the real crypto developments. Yes EFTs would probably boost Bitcoin price but Bitcoin has no real use other that a store of wealth and speculation.
    Bitcoin cash is gaining far more adoption and is proving to be more usable. It is the adoption and development of the technologies that need to drive the prices not the speculative investment of ETFs.
    No crypto at the moment has mass adoption and while their may be some real world uses its not on the radars of joe public.
    The first crypto to gain this will be the one that will sore in price that's not driven by speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

@Shauny2010: Well, its a two track thing. ETF is an instrument of the market....so I'm thinking in terms of the market itself. I'm also not thinking of 'immediately after' - moreso on a longer timeframe.

The other side of things is the underlying tech itself and where thats going, how its being developed, etc.

@seannash: I think you understand why I'm taking that approach - and it's nothing to do with a general unwillingness to discuss all aspects. Anyone who follows this topic here knows well!
    There's no doubt in my mind that an ETF will be launched at some stage - I'd expect that to be in 2019 though. As regards Tether, there's an interesting bi-product involved there. Should ETF's (together with the sort of offering NYSE are looking at) be brought about, tether volumes should fall back and become less significant as settlement in fiat will be much more seamless. It may not disappear but it will become more marginalised proportionately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement