Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do with Football?

• 08-08-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

As a spectacle it haseems could very hard to watch. Endless handpassing is turning people off in their droves. We really need to limit the handpasses to four..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

thesultan wrote: »
    As a spectacle it haseems could very hard to watch. Endless handpassing is turning people off in their droves. We really need to limit the handpasses to four..

There's nearly more threads than handpasses at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

threeball wrote: »

Yea really need to limit the handpass threads.

Limiting hanpasses is stupid for at least 2 reasons.

1. If during a play the next obvious move to score a goal is a handpass what happens if you have already reached the limit and cannot handpass it.

2. Refs already have too much to do, making them keep a count of handpasses just gives them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just abolish this stupid game and play proper football instead. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

1. If during a play the next obvious move to score a goal is a handpass what happens if you have already reached the limit and cannot handpass it.

2. Refs already have too much to do, making them keep a count of handpasses just gives them more.

Refs already can’t count steps.
    It would encourage blanket defenses I would think teams would sit back and allow the hand passes knowing they had a better chance to close down the kicked pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

threeball wrote: »

But surely the endless handpassing is awful to watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 jimbob_t1

Coach forwards?!? Everyone and their uncle now has a defensive coach. Instead of playing with a sweepers push up and play with 7 forwards. The old style of the 3-3-2-3-3 is completely dead whether people realise it or not and it will always be easier to coach defensively which is why it's done. But if the proper coaching is done to forwards then it shouldn't cause the game to suffer. It's come from watching other sports but it's not making the game better to watch. Just answer me one question. Would you prefer your team to lose a classic shoot out by 1 point or win a dour defensive war of attrition by 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

They are being unfair on your question.

Football is atrocious to watch. A small change can make a huge difference. The mark is slowly coming back into the game, and the crowd get a good buzz when one is made.

If it was me there are certain things that I would do:

1) At Inter-county level, I would introduce a 2nd referee, and have one inside each half.

2) Limit handpasses to 4, the same as the number of steps. The argument that refs can't currently count steps is a stupid one. Refs give latitude when a player is being fouled who then takes an extra step to try and let the game flow.

3) The ball must clear the 20m line

4) Once the ball travels out past the 45m line, it cannot go back inside.

5) Teams must keep 2 players inside the opponents 45m defensive line at all times. failure to do that results in an attacking free from the 45m line.

6) Stop any form of scoring from the hand, whether it's a goal or a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Kingdom wrote: »

Football is atrocious to watch. A small change can make a huge difference. The mark is slowly coming back into the game, and the crowd get a good buzz when one is made.

1) At Inter-county level, I would introduce a 2nd referee, and have one inside each half.

2) Limit handpasses to 4, the same as the number of steps. The argument that refs can't currently count steps is a stupid one. Refs give latitude when a player is being fouled who then takes an extra step to try and let the game flow.

5) Teams must keep 2 players inside the opponents 45m defensive line at all times. failure to do that results in an attacking free from the 45m line.

If you upped the 5th point to 4 players, then it may solve more, and be more beneficial than 6 rule changes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭shockframe

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

One thing I'd like to see. Any free or sideline the ball should be dropped down there. If not move it forward centrally 20 metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just get rid of Tyrone😆

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Kingdom wrote: »

Some good ideas here. Something definitely needs to be done.

Advertisement