Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these good times for 6k runs?

• 07-08-2018 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi , I'm running now a good few years but it's just on my own, I'm not in a club or anything like that. I just do it on my lunch times or at weekends. I go out 4 to 5 times a week and almost always run 6k. My times are usually about 26 mins. When I started it was 28 mins but I can't seem to get better than 26 mins. The very odd 25:30 or so. So I'm just wondering is around 26 mins good for 6k ? Seeing as I'm doing it a good few years now or should my times be much better. I'm the only one who is active like this out of my friends so I can't really go by what they do. My age is 38 so maybe I'm just getting too old for getting better times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

If you are enjoying the runs then yes its a good time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I can’t manage 5km under 24:30, would love to hit 6km in 26 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

martin101 wrote: »
    Hi , I'm running now a good few years but it's just on my own, I'm not in a club or anything like that. I just do it on my lunch times or at weekends. I go out 4 to 5 times a week and almost always run 6k. My times are usually about 26 mins. When I started it was 28 mins but I can't seem to get better than 26 mins. The very odd 25:30 or so. So I'm just wondering is around 26 mins good for 6k ? Seeing as I'm doing it a good few years now or should my times be much better. I'm the only one who is active like this out of my friends so I can't really go by what they do. My age is 38 so maybe I'm just getting too old for getting better times.

Maybe cut back a few of them for a few weeks and see if you can store a bit of energy up.

Also maybe try a bit of tempo or speed work to see if you can break the 25min Mark

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

4:20 a km is pretty decent. It is not elite by any stretch but is faster than I can do. I would suggest taking training advice to improve your times. Do smarter training rather than pushing every time. My race times got better when I started to go slower in training for example.
    Vary your distance as well

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

There's probably a Park Run fairly near you which would be worth a visit or two. You try harder in a group when you get used to it. You will be comfortably in the pack, or at the quick end of the local Fit for Life group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Thanks for all the replies guys, yes I'm enjoying my runs and that's the main thing. I have two young kids under the age of 3 so I'll just count myself lucky to get out for the runs in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

If you want to improve your time. Have a look at fartlek training. Varying your pace will being down your time. Your times are still respectable. I'm 46 started running at 43. My 5km PB is 19.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you want to compare yourself to others, run a race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭The Kop

You won't get any better doing the same thing over and over again. If you just keep running 6km at a certain pace you won't get any better.
    If you slowed down and did an 8km or 10km a few times a week and then rather than doing 6km do 5x1km at a faster pace then you would start to see improvements.
    You have the the potential there to be going sub 20min for a 5km which isnt something to be sniffed at imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RayCun wrote: »
    If you want to compare yourself to others, run a race.

Exactly. Run a race and see how you fair against other people

Is it a good time in the grand scheme of things.. no, it's not. It is good for you or any guy near 40 who doesn't train too seriously...probably! Just enjoy it and do a 6k race if you want to race faster, compare to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

martin101 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys, yes I'm enjoying my runs and that's the main thing. I have two young kids under the age of 3 so I'll just count myself lucky to get out for the runs in the first place.

That probably makes the runs all the more enjoyable....please and quite for a while but I think the real question you should be asking is Are you running too Fast :)

But seriously, there are a couple of questions you have to ask yourself such as why are you running and why do you want to go faster?

If it is just for fitness then continue as you are and don't worry about the time...just enjoy

If you want to race or just see what you can do, then take the advise elsewhere, slow down, vary your runs, add some intervals/hills.....basically take up attain plan.

and Age is not the limiting factor here.....time is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

if you want to get quicker you have to mix up your running. If you run the same distance at same effort you will plateau at a time less than what you're capable of.

try running longer than 6k one day a week, maybe 10k at an easy effort. Another day do intervals. run your hardest for 400m then jog slowly for 400m and repeat. Easyiest to do on a track but also could do on the perimeter of a pitch/park green if none available. Mixing up your runs will improve your times.

Advertisement