Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alex Jones content removed from Facebook, Youtube, Apple

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

An utterly depraved and disgusting individual. I'm disappointed that Facebook, Youtube and Apple took so long to do this but better late than never I suppose.

Given that youtube hosts beheading videos and videos from extremist Imams inciting hatred I'd say Jones is fairly low down the pecking order of depravity and being disgusting on corporate bandwidth. Not to mention the mind numbing inanity of what constitutes the bulk of content on all these platforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Malayalam wrote: »
    Given that youtube hosts beheading videos and videos from extremist Imams inciting hatred I'd say Jones is fairly low down the pecking order of depravity and being disgusting on corporate bandwidth. Not to mention the mind numbing inanity of what constitutes the bulk of content on all these platforms.

But it's actively harmful. Look at what happened to the parents of the Sandy Hook massacre. They're grieving for the loss of their children and this scum says they're faking it and they get subsequently abused.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

But it's actively harmful. Look at what happened to the parents of the Sandy Hook massacre. They're grieving for the loss of their children and this scum says they're faking it and they get subsequently abused.

Thankfully I have honestly never listened to him and have only seen inserts of him in other videos where he always looks on the verge of stroking out. For that reason alone it would make me feel uncomfortable watching him. But it is better to have free speech where ideas can be exposed and die in the face of ridicule rather than drive movements underground where they gather the unjustified allure of being brave and revolutionary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

How is he going to fund his Acid Hous DJing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I'm pretty sure Youtue are very active in taking down videos that are reported to them. This is their policy in relation to violent content.

It’s not okay to post violent or gory content that’s primarily intended to be shocking, sensational, or gratuitous. If a video is particularly graphic or disturbing, it should be balanced with additional context and information.If posting graphic content in a news, documentary, scientific, or artistic context, please be mindful to provide enough information to help people understand what's going on. In some cases, content may be so violent or shocking that no amount of context will allow that content to remain on our platforms. Lastly, don't encourage others to commit specific acts of violence.

They are by no means a perfect company but they don't allow extremist content for the hell of it, only journalism or educational purpose and it must be placed in context.

The only surprising thing about Alex Jones is how long it took to remove him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The man is a mental case. A rich one I guess but boy if he was my father or brother or related I move country and change name. Just one ****ed up guy

I'm pretty sure Youtue are very active in taking down videos that are reported to them. This is their policy in relation to violent content.

They are by no means a perfect company but they don't allow extremist content for the hell of it, only journalism or educational purpose and it must be placed in context.

The only surprising thing about Alex Jones is how long it took to remove him.

Companies like that already have the algorithms to respond quickly to content. It's not that they are beavering away keeping content up to any standards, they simply are not. These places are awash with idiocy. This was a politically motivated decision to censor alternative thought....maybe to whitewash themselves after sinister debacles like Cambridge Analytica. Meh, overall I don't care, my viewing material won't be affected, but I do believe it lays down precedent that may at a future time censor opinions that I find perfectly valid for consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

But it is better to have free speech where ideas can be exposed and die in the face of ridicule rather than drive movements underground where they gather the unjustified allure of being brave and revolutionary

And honestly that was how it used to go. Everyone either ignored or laughed at Alex Jones, I even used to listen on occassion to hear what bat-**** kind of stuff he was saying.

But something changed two or three years ago. He started going after innocent people and the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook massacre in particular. It was targeted harassment, he said the whole thing was staged and that the grieving families were actors. He went after them and sent his listeners after them.

As a result the families of those murdered began to get death threats, began to get stalkers following them, had to stop going to their children's graves because of the harassment they're getting.

It's targeted harassment of grieving families and it's putting them in mortal danger.

It's really worth ready just what they went through https://www.bustle.com/p/these-sandy-hook-parents-cant-even-visit-their-sons-grave-because-of-harassment-9958926

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

P_1 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not a fan of no platforming. Irrespective of how abhorrent you may find someone's opinions its better to leave them in the open and open to public scrutiny and ridicule. As was mentioned in another thread its shït like this that will get the Orange Buffoon reelected in 2020.

Trump has no chance of re-election in 2020 so let's put that to the side.

As soon as clowns like Jones and his minority support of racists with abusive racial views can afford to run a platform to showcase their own views and they get sponsors willing to pay for it all then let them have at it. Until then it's not up to private companies or anyone to give them a platform to do so.

This line that everyone deserves their opinion aired is what caused trump to get in in the first place nothing else

Not everyone deserves a platform for their views just because they have views.

I disagree with your contorting of the freedom of speech to mean people should be allowed to say what they like on all means of media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

This will make poor Alex redder and angrier. Like one of his supplements.

listermint wrote: »
    Trump has no chance of re-election in 2020 so let's put that to the side.
    Similar sentiment was said about his electoral chances in 2016. Wouldn't write him off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Trump has no chance of re-election in 2020 so let's put that to the side

He had no chance last time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Wonder will he get a job with the New York Times?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

He had no chance last time either.

This. Anyone who genuinely thinks he has no chance of reelection is still living in the same social/media bubble they were living in 2 years ago and needs more exposure to the outside world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Keepaneye wrote: »
    Wonder will he get a job with the New York Times?
    After all, it's just satire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

After all, it's just satire

And durrrr alt right serious men.

I'm glad the benevolent censorial policies of the internet media monopolies are there to keep my little mind safe from wrong-think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm glad the benevolent censorial policies of the internet media monopolies are there to keep my little mind safe from wrong-think.

Its good to know that you are happy to give a platform to a man who has made the lives of the victims of sandy hook a misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Its good to know that you are happy to give a platform to a man who has made the lives of the victims of sandy hook a misery.

Do you believe that the Left Wing Momentum organisation should be silenced online?

After all, their members have harrassed Jewish Labour MPs and issued death threats and vile abuse to Labour MPs that do not support Corbyn wholeheartedly.

My question is, where do you stop?

I'm pretty sure the shooter made their lives a misery.
    in any case I don't consume Alex Jones' content and I also don't believe for one second that YouTube give two fcuks about the parents of Sandy Hook victims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm pretty sure the shooter made their lives a misery.
    in any case I don't consume Alex Jones' content and I also don't believe for one second that YouTube give two fcuks about the parents of Sandy Hook victims.

They do seem to give a fcuk about an online troll who actively harasses people who have already had enough misery brought into their lives. the only issue is why it took them so long

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Any man who goes after people who lost love ones deserves sweet FA in life.

He is a disgusting and quick frankly sick in the head

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Is this a good thing for freedom of speech?

Freedom of speech ≠ the right to a platform

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

P_1 wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not a fan of no platforming. Irrespective of how abhorrent you may find someone's opinions its better to leave them in the open and open to public scrutiny and ridicule. As was mentioned in another thread its shlike this that will get the Orange Buffoon reelected in 2020.

I agree on the opinions part, however J*nes was involved in defamation and harrassment. Free speech shouldn't extend to being allowed to deliberately spreading bull**** and putting people in danger. Look what happened to the Sandy Hook parents.

While social media outlets may have opened a can of worms with this, for now I say good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I disagree with your contorting of the freedom of speech to mean people should be allowed to say what they like on all means of media.

Well - then this raises that big question:

not what they like, but what you like? what who likes? Who sets this bar?

I don't think Alex Jones or his views need discussion in this thread. The banning of them - now that is 'interesting'.

If you think Trump isn't winning 2020 - here's an old Democrat gem for you "It's the economy stupid". People vote with their pocket, not on isms.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do you believe that the Left Wing Momentum organisation should be silenced online?

After all, their members have harrassed Jewish Labour MPs and issued death threats and vile abuse to Labour MPs that do not support Corbyn wholeheartedly.

Anyone issuing death threats should be locked up and should be pursued to the full extent of the law, but this isn't a left wing/right wing thing, this is a basic human decency thing. Alex Jones is lying about the families of murdered children and the survivors of gun attacks. He's sending people after grieving parents in order to whip up his audience and ultimately to sell them snake-oil supplements and preper gear.

He's still free to do all that too, no-one is removing his free speech right. What we have instead is a handful of private company deciding that they no longer want to host his content.

He has the right to free speech, not the right to have someone else hand deliver and curate an audience for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Would it be so crazy if they ALL had their say and I got to use my own brain to decide?

Or maybe my brain can't be trusted - is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Freedom of speech ≠ the right to a platform

True ... the problem however is that we are not talking about *a* platform being removed here. We are talking about most major online platforms being removed.

The problem is not a company’s individual decision, but their collective massive influence and the fact that they make identical decisions.

That concentration of power and similar thinking is a genuine threat to free speech and democracy IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Is this a good thing for freedom of speech?

They are privately run companies who don't need to care about someone's freedom of speech. They are not a public space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Didn't Alex Jones admit in court that he plays a "character" on his radio show?

I don't have a problem with hate speech being banned, e.g. "Kill Muslims", but people having a differing opinion, i.e. " I don't like Muslims", however unpalatable need to be challenged and engaged instaed of outright silenced.

I think it's a dangerous precedent and definitely leads to "surprises" like Trump and Brexit. Some people who voted for them would certainly have felt they couldn't express themselves publicly and probably avoided discussing the topic when an open discussion might have done more good.

Advertisement