Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Intercounty Management

Options
  • 06-08-2018 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about it myself today

It must take some serious commitment to be a senior intercounty manager (even a club manager would prob be hard work). Your prob giving up all your weekends, half of your weekdays prob gone too, analysis/media and all that too and on top of that you have your own full time job to concentrate on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Don't envy anyone taking it on really, especially in counties like Kerry, Dublin & Mayo. The expectation that surrounds all three teams (for a variety of reasons) would make any man think twice.

I know in Kerry, when looking at Fitzmaurice's outgoing setup, it was largely made up of teachers. Fitzmaurice (teacher/now incoming principal), Maurice Fitzgerald (teacher/now incoming principal) and Liam Hassett (teacher and vice-principal) would all have summer largely free for the peak championship months.

Without an understanding family and a very flexible job, I feel it would be a truly overwhelming task.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I imagine it's not nice been out training in oct/nov/dec and Jan in the pissing rain. It's a way of life I suppose for GAA people

Some teams will prob start back training for the 2019 season in next 2 months and planning will have to start etc

The real heroes of the GAA are managers who manage in the non successful county's and give as much time and effort as Brian Cody/Micky Harte/Jim Gavin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't envy anyone taking it on really, especially in counties like Kerry, Dublin & Mayo. The expectation that surrounds all three teams (for a variety of reasons) would make any man think twice.

I know in Kerry, when looking at Fitzmaurice's outgoing setup, it was largely made up of teachers. Fitzmaurice (teacher/now incoming principal), Maurice Fitzgerald (teacher/now incoming principal) and Liam Hassett (teacher and vice-principal) would all have summer largely free for the peak championship months.

Without an understanding family and a very flexible job, I feel it would be a truly overwhelming task.

Does Maurice Fitz not run a family hotel near Cahirciveen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Anyone doing it without being paid would nearly want their heat examined. The level of commitment and time required along with the scrutiny and abuse received is not justifiable for a voluntary job.

I know two lads involved with a very successful club team and at least 4 full nights per week were completely and utterly consumed by training, preparations or analysis. But at least they didn't have lads online tearing every decision apart.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Does Maurice Fitz not a family hotel near Cahirciveen?

Not sure to be honest, but I know that he's definitely been promoted to a principal job recently anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Serious commitment but a serious honour too. People tend to focus on the time and effort required but it would also be the experience of a lifetime. Maybe a different story when things don't go right... but even then, they'll be getting serious goodwill from plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

was having a convo on saturday night with a friend from Kerry about the whole fitzmaurice thing. And we got talking about how much these guys are on, and not salary wise, but like how much they get paid as such.

He reckoned Fitzmaurice was on 100k a year and maybe the likes of rochford might be on 80k . I didnt think so but he was saying with the travel expenses etc (that i would agree is probably costly enough) but then the likes of Jim Gavin , not as much travel expenses as the country lads but on that reckoning he'd be 100k plus!

Am i naive in thinking these lads arent getting this kinda bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

BKWDR wrote: »
    was having a convo on saturday night with a friend from Kerry about the whole fitzmaurice thing. And we got talking about how much these guys are on, and not salary wise, but like how much they get paid as such.

He reckoned Fitzmaurice was on 100k a year and maybe the likes of rochford might be on 80k . I didnt think so but he was saying with the travel expenses etc (that i would agree is probably costly enough) but then the likes of Jim Gavin , not as much travel expenses as the country lads but on that reckoning he'd be 100k plus!

Am i naive in thinking these lads arent getting this kinda bread?

I thought it was a voluntary role with only petrol expenses ?? Ha

Some would get free cars, free phones etc

A lot of stuff be done by others such as fitness coaches. What exactly do selectors do ??? Are they basically right/left hand men

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I thought it was a voluntary role with only petrol expenses ?? Ha

Some would get free cars, free phones etc

A lot of stuff be done by others such as fitness coaches. What exactly do selectors do ??? Are they basically right/left hand men

You would hope that with the right selectors any player in the county with potential would be checked out. Counties like Kerry Tyrone Galway Cork dont limit their selection from Senior clubs so its important that the selectors are on top of their job and not just Yes men. Intermediate and Junior matches could throw up a player that would be a great asset to a senior team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Is Maurice Fitzgerald not an auctioner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Maurice Fitz is a secondary school teacher

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Is Maurice Fitzgerald not an auctioner.

No, he's a secondary teacher and is now incoming principal of Coláiste na Sceilge in Caherciveen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Who is the Maurice Fitzgerald Auctioner New street caherciven.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Joe Daly wrote:
    Who is the Maurice Fitzgerald Auctioner New street caherciven.

AFAIK

Maurice qualified as a teacher. Then took up a position as an Auctioneer (family business I think).

Went back teaching. Now promoted to Principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I imagine it's not nice been out training in oct/nov/dec and Jan in the pissing rain. It's a way of life I suppose for GAA people

Some teams will prob start back training for the 2019 season in next 2 months and planning will have to start etc.....

I'd say the training itself is no problem. In fact, it's probably what most managers get into it for.

If you're with a group of 30 or 40 lads in the p1ssin' rain on a Wednesday night in January and you're running a training session and the lads are bursting their holes for you - It's actually a great buzz. It's a dirty night, but you've all made the effort to be there and there's a great sense of comradeship.

I would say what wears a lot of managers down is the mounds of BS that you have to deal with outside of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

you would want to be made of iron to do it and with that not give a fcuk what anyone outside the team thinks. Fitzmaurice was a tough man he showed it and did it his way which i admire.

Advertisement