Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Perfidia - RTE

Options
  • 05-08-2018 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Anyone remember it? It was broadcast around November 1993 with repeats (or maybe a second series) during the The End late-night comedy strand in 1994. It was a very short faux-fifties TV show consisting of some creepy bloke doing a voiceover on arbitrary stock footage purportedly showing Irish youths training for some grand (usually ludicrous) enterprise ("the plan is that by 1970 Ireland will lead the world in...")

The theme tune was the old standard Perfidia, which otherwise had nothing to do with the show. It was rather disturbing and surreal, but very funny. Curiously, I can't find anything at all on the net about it. Just wondering if anyone else recalls it or can find clips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember it. Damned if I can remember the presenter. No help to you OP but I th8nk there was a bit of a golden age in RTÉ From early 90s to about the late 90s. Shows like THE end, Night Hawks and the comedy inserts in them. It was great tv, and cheap too I’d say. I miss that stuff though, 20 plus years on it mightn’t be my th8ng anymore really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

squonk wrote: »
    I remember it. Damned if I can remember the presenter. No help to you OP but I th8nk there was a bit of a golden age in RTÉ From early 90s to about the late 90s. Shows like THE end, Night Hawks and the comedy inserts in them. It was great tv, and cheap too I’d say. I miss that stuff though, 20 plus years on it mightn’t be my th8ng anymore really!

It’s come back to me. Presenter was John Keogh. Think he was a producer in the main for RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

It’s come back to me. Presenter was John Keogh. Think he was a producer in the main for RTÉ.

And he retired 10 years ago !

http://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2619:RT-Producer-John-Keogh-Retires-Colm-Connollys-Tribute-added-2619&catid=40&Itemid=104

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Any info on this programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Lost to time it appears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Any sign of this. Would love to see some

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Don't remember this. I do recall John Keogh presented an archive clips show in the early 90s which was like a proto Reeling In The Years. The first series was called Shakin All Over and focused on the 60s. Second series was called Shakin The 70s. Some of the clips had Keogh doing sarcastic, ironic voiceovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭squonk

FWIW I think the theme wasn’t a canned recording, I think it was recorded for the show with maybe the presenter doing the singing but I might be wrong. I liked it a lot. I wish RTE would put stuff like this on the player and make it worthwhile. There’s a lot of gold in the vaults. They did a v one-off thing cashed “A Song For Europe” in 1995 too with bathing kievney either having to present the Eurovision in the 60s or going to Europe to do presentation. I revenged it being particularly his in that I remember it being a bit drier than just a one hit comedy skit.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Advertisement