Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half marathon

Options
  • 04-08-2018 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all

Is it possible for someone with no running experience to train for a half marathon in 4 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

caipin wrote: »
    Hi all

Is it possible for someone with no running experience to train for a half marathon in 4 months?

It's possible for someone with no running experience to go out and walk a half marathon tomorrow.
    It's possible for someone with some running experience to start a half marathon too fast and end up walking.
    It depends on how fit you are, how disciplined you are, and what you would be satisfied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

caipin wrote: »
    Hi all

Yes. One place to begin would be parkrun. Go every Saturday and get used to running amongst other people and also getnout twice a week

Start with 5k but don't get ambitious. Even a 30 min 5k would be fine.

In 6 weeks then look to improve the distance up to 8k and then every 2-3 weeks try to add 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I started running in Mid January and completed my 1st half in April which was the Debra Wicklow Run in just over 2hrs which I was delighted with. I’ve done 2 more since too. So it is possible but I would always have been active with soccer and tag rugby but “running” never really interested me till this year.

Start at 5k and build up. I started with Parkrun as its handy to run with people and there’s always someone running at your pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I will be doing my fist half marathon on Saturday with 7 weeks training behind me. I won't be breaking any time records but am confident I can last the course. Go for it! Get yourself a training plan and stick to it as best you can. Set yourself a realistic time target, listen to your body but above all enjoy the journey to the start line and beyond.

Good luck!

Advertisement