Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's a separate thread for imaginary Metro routes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's a separate thread for imaginary Metro routes

Indeed there is

MOD: Once again, this is a thread for the Metrolink project which will run between Swords and Sandyford. Anything else does not belong here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's currently impossible to get on. Metro at 90 second frequency will fix that. It's simple but some people don't get it.

Eh no it’s not impossible since the seven new longer trams arrived.

You do realise new timetables were introduced in June on both lines that saw the service reductions imposed in December reversed?

The fundamental issue was that the extension was launched without the rolling stock being in place beforehand. A further eight additional trams on order and extensions to the rest of the Green Line stock in due course should cope for the medium term.

That’s just posted for clarification mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed there is

MOD: Once again, this is a thread for the Metrolink project which will run between Swords and Sandyford. Anything else does not belong here

The post on this thread seemed to require a reply on this thread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The post on this thread seemed to require a reply on this thread.

I was referring to everything beyond what was posted. What's there is ok but we'll leave it there

• Advertisement

LXFlyer wrote: »

You do realise new timetables were introduced in June on both lines that saw the service reductions imposed in December reversed?

The fundamental issue was that the extension was launched without the rolling stock being in place beforehand. A further eight additional trams on order and extensions to the rest of the Green Line stock in due course should cope for the medium term.

The NTA have repeatedly said that while overcrowding may not be an issue now the Luas Green Line will max out in 2027. Hence the requirement for a Metro to be implemented in 2027.

When the M50 was upgraded it was plain sailing for a few years. Look at it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

...and that was with 14% unemployment. Imagine how awful the situation would be if that wasn't the case!

The NTA have repeatedly said that while overcrowding may not be an issue now the Luas Green Line will max out in 2027. Hence the requirement for a Metro to be implemented in 2027.

I am well aware of the long term issues.

I was merely correcting the statement by the other poster that people can’t get on trams now which is not correct.

I am well aware of the long term issues.

I was merely correcting the statement by the other poster that people can’t get on trams now which is not correct.

Apologies.

Take my post as a repeated reminder to the certain cohort of posters who don't get why te Green Line upgrade is being done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Zebra3 wrote: »

That’s only by some Labour TD not a real suggestion by someone who isn’t a fool looking to get their name in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

Zebra3 wrote: »

That'd be better tbh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That'd be better tbh

Sure, but it'd never get built. It's already the most costly infrastructure project in the history of the state, doubling (or more) the cost of it will result in it being swiftly cancelled.

EDIT: In fairness to Mr Humphreys, I don't think he means for the entire project to be underground, only out past where he's complaining about. Also, 25 to 35 million isn't as much as I thought that it would be to fix this issue. (i.e. building a bridge or building a cutting)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wait until the schools come back :D

cgcsb wrote: »
    Wait until the schools come back :D

I know that but the capacity is much greater than it was and the number of peak departures from Brides Glen has been restored to the pre-December levels.

It’ll still be cosy but it shouldn’t be anything like the mayhem when the extension was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

I definitely think that the whole thing should be underground. I have never visited a developed country with a transport system that it less cohesive than Irelands. we need to start thinking about cohesion and integration.

I know costs also have to be weighed as well so if they can get it underground for that one point at 25 million because they couldnt afford to put the whole thing underground then so be it I suppose. But no overpasses, we are not a megalopolis.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

madbeanman wrote: »
    I definitely think that the whole thing should be underground. I have never visited a developed country with a transport system that it less cohesive than Irelands. we need to start thinking about cohesion and integration.

I know costs also have to be weighed as well so if they can get it underground for that one point at 25 million because they couldnt afford to put the whole thing underground then so be it I suppose. But no overpasses, we are not a megalopolis.

It's not 25 million to put it underground there, it's 25 to 35 million to either build a bridge that the train will go over on, or dig a trench that the train will go through, with a bridge over it for cars, both of which are "unacceptable" to Mr Humphreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's not 25 million to put it underground there, it's 25 to 35 million to either build a bridge that the train will go over on, or dig a trench that the train will go through, with a bridge over it for cars, both of which are "unacceptable" to Mr Humphreys.

Yeah, sorry. I mean that if the concept of putting the whole thing underground would be too big an expense (I believe you said it would more than double the cost) then I suppose the trench option would be better that having it go over the road on a bridge, which I think would look unsightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Putting the whole thing underground would be overkill, and is certainly not the common thing to do. Just using my own experience of transport systems - New York, London, Washington DC, and San Francisco all had systems that would alternate between underground and overground running.

madbeanman wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry. I mean that if the concept of putting the whole thing underground would be too big an expense (I believe you said it would more than double the cost) then I suppose the trench option would be better that having it go over the road on a bridge, which I think would look unsightly.

To be honest, either of those options would be fine. There was a rail bridge there not too long ago, removed during the construction of the luas, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

That cost was only a guess, but I wouldn't think it's far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

They should scrap the idea of the MetroLink altogether and bring back the massive, loud, filthy steam train. I'm sure the residents would love to see the historical character of their area restored.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just a quote from Mr Humphreys (Labour Councilor) in the IT article:
    Safety concerns
    Sending the train under the road raised engineering difficulties and safety concerns he said. “This part of the road has been flooded in the past and it’s unclear how they will resolve that. But there’s also a worry, particularly if there will be unmanned trains on the line, of the train being briefly underground, only to emerge again.”The best solution, Mr Humphreys said, was to continue the tunnelled section of the line, which in the current plans ends at Charlemont north of Ranelagh, throughout the southside.

Is that a joke?

Is that a joke?

There's a fair few folks on here, where if they said that, I'd think they were joking.

With politicians involved? No.

It's basically any excuse to oppose this development.

Is that a joke?

He says it like the metro will be doing the tunneling and popping up unexpectedly wherever it wants like a mole.

CatInABox wrote: »
    There's a fair few folks on here, where if they said that, I'd think they were joking.

With politicians involved? No.

It's basically any excuse to oppose this development.

Big problem in this country is that politicians think that being in opposition means opposing everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Incredible how thick some of our elected representatives are. No wonder Ireland is underdeveloped.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Incredible how thick some of our elected representatives are. No wonder Ireland is underdeveloped.

I think the upcoming set of elections* gets these councilors and TDs saying anything just to get their name into the papers - hopefully spelt right (their name - not their daft ideas), even if they are talking utter crap. Green Party wanting to build it out west, Michael McDowell wants it not built at all, but build ten Luas lines instead (if only there was a plan somewhere for ten Luas lines - or even one), and now this Labour guy does want it to pop up unexpectedly somewhere because of the childer.

*Next May we have MEPs and Councils. Next [sometime soon] we have a general election. November we have the Presidential election, unless all the bluffers and wannabes get sense and dropout Michael D will win anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I have been frequently criticized here for my negativity in relation to developing projects like Metrolink. Once the metro concept was allowed slip back into a "planning" stage, it was obvious this would happen. Its called reinventing the wheel and politicians are great at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

Cough cough highrise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

say the figure of E35,000,000 that was given for the infrastructure to avoid the road closure, how much of that just goes straight or nearly straight back into government coffers though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement