Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldcastle Racing

Options
  • 30-07-2018 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have details for the race in Oldcastle this Sunday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

From their facebook page:
    ***Unfortunately we are unable to run the Oldcastle GP scheduled for the 5th August this year and will have to cancel the race. We are looking at an alternative and will update soon.***

Pity. I was looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

The mountnugent gp is on Saturday 4th August. 7pm
    Not far from Oldcastle,which may suit instead

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

meercat wrote:
    The mountnugent gp is on Saturday 4th August. 7pm Not far from Oldcastle,which may suit instead

Is that a handicap race and also any idea what route is like hills or flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Is that a handicap race and also any idea what route is like hills or flat?

It's a handicap yeah, here are all the details - https://navanroadclub.ie/open-events/mountnugent/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Good to see the Cycling Ireland calendar still has the Oldcastle GP listed with no mention of it being cancelled. What a useful tool that is :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Good to see the Cycling Ireland calendar still has the Oldcastle GP listed with no mention of it being cancelled. What a useful tool that is

You can add the connacht 2 day to that list also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You can add the connacht 2 day to that list also

That gone as well?

That gone as well?

Yes was planning on doing it spent a few days trying to find information on it and then finally got a email from westport cycling saying it's not going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Miklos wrote: »
    It's a handicap yeah, here are all the details - https://navanroadclub.ie/open-events/mountnugent/

How does the race actually work? What is the handicap and how does the prime work? Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wexford 2 day gone now as well, poor sign ups to date the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dahat wrote: »

That's a shame, that was a good race, wonder whats with the low levels of sign up this year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I imagine it's hard to get marshals more than anything, and the sheer number of bodies needed and logistical nightmares involved in running a race makes them kind of unsustainable. Cycling's boom has waned, so numbers are down all over (bar the women. There are more of us this season than any year I remember in the last 3).
    How did they manage running races after the last cycling boom of the 80's? Say in the 90's early 00's? I guess there was less traffic back then, and there were less logistics involved in running races back then.

Men complaining about road races is hilarious to me. Ye haven't anything to complain about in comparison to the women. We were stopped 3 times in one race before :rolleyes: Races shortened (which actually really suited my unfit arse this year), races cancelled, clubs pulling out of running them, no comms, terrible comms decisions, I could go on. Very few races in comparison to the men also. But it is improving I think, and it's a positive going forward.

nee wrote: »
    I imagine it's hard to get marshals more than anything, and the sheer number of bodies needed and logistical nightmares involved in running a race makes them kind of unsustainable. Cycling's boom has waned, so numbers are down all over (bar the women. There are more of us this season than any year I remember in the last 3).
    How did they manage running races after the last cycling boom of the 80's? Say in the 90's early 00's? I guess there was less traffic back then, and there were less logistics involved in running races back then.

Men complaining about road races is hilarious to me. Ye haven't anything to complain about in comparison to the women. We were stopped 3 times in one race before :rolleyes: Races shortened (which actually really suited my unfit arse this year), races cancelled, clubs pulling out of running them, no comms, terrible comms decisions, I could go on. Very few races in comparison to the men also. But it is improving I think, and it's a positive going forward.

They stated that low levels of sign up was a major part of the reason in a Facebook release.

I wonder what race numbers were pre current boom?

nee wrote: »
    I wonder what race numbers were pre current boom?

They need 220 plus to make the race viable with each race making 80 plus in previous years. Sign on's date must be very low to take this step.

Above info taken from Sean Rowe on FB.

dahat wrote: »
    They need 220 plus to make the race viable with each race making 80 plus in previous years. Sign on's date must be very low to take this step.

Above info taken from Sean Rowe on FB.

Surely they'd get that across A4-1 and a women's race? 80 in A4, similar in A3, 60 the other, 30 in for us that's 250. That's about average right? If you add some youth races you'd get more, but obviously extra demands with cars, comms and marshals.

Maybe all races need to go pre entry so organisers can be sure of numbers rather than cancelling at the thought of low numbers. Two womens' races lost due to that, and they'd have had the numbers for a race if they allowed sign on on the day. We'd all have pre entered too if we knew that was the arbiter of viability.
    If there is pre entry at least organisers know how much cash they have pre event, might make it easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

dahat wrote:

Heard months ago this wouldn't be going ahead, poor sign ups this far in advance is just an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Heard months ago this wouldn't be going ahead, poor sign ups this far in advance is just an excuse.

Same as that , heard a couple of months ago from a member of Wexford wheelers that there was a serious doubt to this going ahead this year , it was a different reason to this that he told me . Low numbers is an excuse as far as I’m concerned .

Advertisement