Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics.ie shut down?

Options
  • 28-07-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭

Didn't know exactly where to put this thread.

Haven't been on this site much recently but notice that now it is down for a while. Anyone know what happened to it, was/is there defamation or legal issues?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Database error just suggests nobody cares about it anymore rather than shut down by force or intent. Had been a nest of vipers for years with no moderation of note anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

L1011 wrote: »
    Database error just suggests nobody cares about it anymore rather than shut down by force or intent. Had been a nest of vipers for years with no moderation of note anyway.

Thats a good thing. Some good discussions on there. Better than the nazi mods on Boards.ie, amirite?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Didn't know exactly where to put this thread.

Haven't been on this site much recently but notice that now it is down for a while. Anyone know what happened to it, was/is there defamation or legal issues?

Was about to start a thread about this. I've seen it down for a day or two before but never this long. Wouldn't be surprised if there were legal issues; I've seen some extraordinary stuff appear on there without hindrance, notably one breathtaking allegation about a senior Tory. Maybe the site has hit serious technical issues and management have decided it might be best not to revive it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Was about to start a thread about this. I've seen it down for a day or two before but never this long. Wouldn't be surprised if there were legal issues; I've seen some extraordinary stuff appear on there without hindrance, notably one breathtaking allegation about a senior Tory. Maybe the site has hit serious technical issues and management have decided it might be best not to revive it...

It was infested with alt right types as far as I could tell when I was last on it with a few others constantly arguing with them. Years ago I think it was a fairly busy site, maybe it’s run it’s course but still surprised there’s no mention of it being discontinued or why.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It was infested with alt right types as far as I could tell when I was last on it with a few others constantly arguing with them. Years ago I think it was a fairly busy site, maybe it’s run it’s course but still surprised there’s no mention of it being discontinued or why.

Just checked their twitter feed, which seems to consist mostly of alerts about site downtime. No word about the current one though, perhaps ominously...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭fran38

im constantly on it although i havent signed up. nest of vipers is a good description of its posters. there might be a well intentioned thread started but instantly it falls into name calling, trolling and worse. its been down i think from early last week with no mention on social media about why its down.

Seems rumours of the site's death have been exaggerated....

https://twitter.com/PoliticsIE/status/1024061967437377538

Seems rumours of the site's death have been exaggerated....

https://twitter.com/PoliticsIE/status/1024061967437377538

Maybe not. Or maybe they've got a different definition of 'shortly' to the rest of us...

Advertisement