Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TPD Law Makes it Difficult for me to stop Smoking Cigarettes

Options
  • 30-07-2018 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was in Florida recently and wanted a bit more "freedom" in the theme parks. So I looked up the best vaporizer while I was there. Ended up buying what reviewers called the "Apple" of vapes. Juul.

Up to this point I smoked more than a pack a day. Started using the Juul and accidentally stopped smoking cigarettes as a consequence. Its now 19 days and I have lost all interest in ciggs, such a freedom to get back. No more smoke!

I noticed I cannot get Juul refills in Ireland so I bought enough to keep me going until Feb 2019. The issue I have then is that I will have to fly over to USA again to buy refills. This is because TPD law in EU makes it illegal for 5% Nicotine pods to refill. The Juul was recently launched in UK and I've tried the 1.7% version which is the legal version here, its not enough to keep me off ciggs and is a majorly inferior taste and experience vs the USA ones.

Thing is with the USA PODS I only smoke one of these 5% versions over 2.5 days. The UK versions I would need to vape constantly all day using one up faster than a day because TPD laws wont allow 5%. Juul say their USA pods with 5% equals about one pack of ciggs... This means I have reduced my nicotine with the 5% as it takes 2.5 days to smoke one.

TPD laws seem like they are in place to protect tax on cigarettes?

TPD law removes a 100% legitimate way for me personally to stop smoking. I dont like other vapes, Juul is the only thing thats worked for me after 20 years heavy smoking.

I will have to go to USA and buy a crazy amount of refills again which I risk issues with customs in USA (Already had a package refused by customs on a "test" order of Juul refills)

Allow Juul pods 5% in EU to help people stop the disgusting and harmful smoking habits.

Juul has taken 71% of the USA vaping market and grown by over 800% the past year. it has proven to stop people smoking. Imperial Tobacco shares dropped 18% when Juul announced it was launching in UK. Markets react based on Juul. It is a revolution and we are not allowing it to help smokers in EU.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Moved from Smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

What other pod systems have you tried ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Captcha wrote: »
    TPD laws seem like they are in place to protect tax on cigarettes?

It does seem a convenient consequence, doesn't it? It's best to presume ignorance over malice for sanity's sake - the line that was being fed when the mind-bogglingly stupid TPD was brought in was about reducing nicotine's toxicity in case somebody drank it. Yeah, great risk management there.

Number of people dying from cigs->700k per year in the EU
    Number dying from nicotine poisoning-> apparently less than 10 worldwide over the past five years - maybe I have to do more digging but it ain't 700k per year.

Anyway, yes, the inconsiderate immoral scumbags who put the TPD in place have ruined low wattage devices and actually increased relative risk by forcing users to consume more liquid at a weaker strength using a higher-powered battery.
    You'll get a much more satisfying vape from that type of device anyway, but it is a shame that it's being forced on you by some unqualified inbred mouth-breathing mongoloids politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

jonski wrote: »
    What other pod systems have you tried ?

I've tried a mix of pods ones and full on vapes, cannot name any specific ones.... Didnt like them. Juul changed everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Had a quick look on Youtube there and it seems that you can refil those Juul pods if you are that way inclined . There are other pods like the Vladdin that come with refillable pods but I don't know if you can get 5% nic salts bottles in Ireland . I have stayed away from the nic salts as I have heard some say that they seem to be a bit more addictive .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

jonski wrote: »
    Had a quick look on Youtube there and it seems that you can refil those Juul pods if you are that way inclined . There are other pods like the Vladdin that come with refillable pods but I don't know if you can get 5% nic salts bottles in Ireland . I have stayed away from the nic salts as I have heard some say that they seem to be a bit more addictive .

Thanks - the Juul pods are designed to not be refilled. Their wick or something burns out after a few refills. Then you are risking leakage etc too as they are designed to be used once.

I dont like the idea of refilling or coils or buttons so Juul is ideal for me. Nicotine salts replicate a real cig but I am actually using less nicotine now than when I smoke real cigs. Yes Juul is as addictive as ciggs and closely resemble real cigs in relation to hit and throat feeling. This is why they are so good at getting you off the real things.

Imagine going from more than 20 a day to accidentally going to none with the Juul and no interest in smoking ever since. I took a pull off a friends cig today to remind me what its like - horrible taste to me now and disgusting.

Advertisement