Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case 885xl Gears

Options
  • 29-07-2018 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Don't know much about tractors but inherited the above. For some reason I can't shift the levers to the right( to get to 3rd and 4th) so I can only go to 2nd gear. Is there something I am doing wrong or is some linkage broken?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Don't know much about tractors but inherited the above. For some reason I can't shift the levers to the right( to get to 3rd and 4th) so I can only go to 2nd gear. Is there something I am doing wrong or is some linkage broken?

There’s a knack to knocking them back into working position. Get a mechanic to show you how or else get the linkage fixed. It’s regular enough problem on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Who2 wrote: »
    There’s a knack to knocking them back into working position. Get a mechanic to show you how or else get the linkage fixed. It’s regular enough problem on them.

Tnks will do. Anything i can try until the mechanic is free to look into it ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Tnks will do. Anything i can try until the mechanic is free to look into it ?

If you get a long bar in through the space in the wheel down into the linkage and give it a quick pull back, but as I said there’s a knack to it. You may be at it for a while if your not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

You just have to get down under it and get someone else to go through the different gear movements. You'r looking at two plates and a "tongue" that flips between them in neutral. Something is worn or jammed or not lining up, you'll figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Debbie25

I have a similar problem with 885xl only gear stick will go to the right but will not go forward to engage 2nd or 3rd gear any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

Debbie25 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem with 885xl only gear stick will go to the right but will not go forward to engage 2nd or 3rd gear any ideas?

Linkage issue, very common problem with them case. You would need to check the link connections in the cab at the floor underneath the gearstick. (It means taking off the cover to have a look.
    The second place is under the tractor theirs two more links that could be worn or broken.
    Not mission impossible to fix but takes time and you need a second operator to move the gears to see where the problem is.
    Also if you have to replace linkages don't bother with the caseih parts they'll cost a fortune. Linkages are a standard enough item just measure them correctly and source them elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Exactly what the above posters said. You’ll lie underneath the tractor abs use a long bar.

I’d recommend wearing goggles also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ours did this a few times but then stopped doing it.
    I’d linked a bit of string down round the linkage and up along the gear levers so I could pull it back into place without leaving the cab. Plan was to replace the linkage “when we had time”

Going to jinx it now but hasn’t happened in over a year.

Advertisement