Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donut shops, EVERYWHERE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,146 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

whiskeyman wrote: »
    KK are coming to Blanch and there are those here old enough when Dunkins were already here and gone...

Some of us are old enough to have worked there. So many free donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Only feels like yesterday when the hype train for Aungier Danger was in full swing. Was it like 2015? Never had one and I was someone who talked about loving an American style donut shop in Dublin, tbf I think they were a bit much, you want a kind of rustic old donut shop where you and your African American partner meet up to discuss a new lead in the crime case gripping the city with an old fashioned cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Presume burger joints will be next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I can't believe that greggs never entered the market here you would think they would make a killing. For anyone that hasn't had one just think of loads of savoury pastries with various fillings along the lines of sausage rolls to steak bakes. I used to do charity work on a Saturday in college and my payment was a steak bake and a cuppa. Then also sweet treats like doughnuts / gingerbreadmen etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I can't believe that greggs never entered the market here you would think they would make a killing. For anyone that hasn't had one just think of loads of savoury pastries with various fillings along the lines of sausage rolls to steak bakes. I used to do charity work on a Saturday in college and my payment was a steak bake and a cuppa. Then also sweet treats like doughnuts / gingerbreadmen etc

May be because of the lack of hot food delis in supermarkets across the UK (Morrissons, Waitrose, Tesco etc.) compared to the ones here (aside from M&S and Tesco here from what I've seen). Could be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

chite wrote: »
    May be because of the lack of hot food delis in supermarkets across the UK (Morrissons, Waitrose, Tesco etc.) compared to the ones here (aside from M&S and Tesco here from what I've seen). Could be wrong about that.

From what I could remember most of the supermarkets did have some kind of hot food deli but pretty crap.

Greggs were mostly in rough / northern uk town high streets or shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Forgot to add that there really aren't a selection of salad and meats for having a roll/sandwich/wrap made up in the deli as well as the hot deli. The hot chicken fillet roll seems to be a unique enough phemonemon here, like in the way the like yorkshire puddings is all the rage over there.

Only time I got a roll made up there was in Sofi de France in the Covered Market in Oxford, mmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gregg's is like dog food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

rob316 wrote: »
    Gregg's is like dog food.

I wouldn't give it to a dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

the krispy kreme donuts are quite reasonably priced in the UK so i expect they will be similar here. £10 for a dozen. They are a mas market product not a hipster product.

That's not a great price to be fair, it's $8 for a dozen in the US so with sales tax it's about €7. They're 99c as a single. If it's £10 then maybe we're looking at €12 for a dozen.

The thing I like about Dunkin Donuts is 99c Donuts, 6 for $4 between 2-6pm and a dozen for $8. They have a medium iced coffee for $2.20 but at 2-6pm it was $2 with a donut. Donuts are good value for money over there.

I don't think Dunkin Coffee is too expensive in Spain either but it was about 3 years since I had them. Hopefully Krispy Kreme is cheap enough here. Food is stupidly expensive here compared to other EU cities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

mugsymugsy wrote: »

If you're truly desperate Iceland carry a range of about 20 different Greggs products, but be warned: you can practically feel the bowel cancer fomenting after eating stuff bought there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

RasTa wrote: »
    I see Aungier Danger has announced they are closing down. Is this fad over?

If Aungier Danger is closing down, I think so! :eek:

I think the Rolling Donut might survive.

I’m a bit surprised that Aungier has gone to the wall. I thought there was room for one or two places, though personally I didn’t really like overly elaborate donuts and thought the price point was too high.

Aungier Danger probably would have survived had there not been a proliferation of imitators. I walked past the George’s Street shop last year sometime on a Saturday evening and there was a lot of donuts left. They used to close when they sold out and that used to happen early in the day. Not a good sign when they were still open after 9pm on a Saturday.
    Balanadan wrote: »
    Anyone else think donuts are one of the least satisfying foods ever created?

I don’t like ‘em really. If I do get one, just a very simple ring donut or jammy one. I occasionally like one fron the Rolling Donut stand on O’Connell Street. Freshly or very recently fried and one is less than a euro. Donuts should be simple.

The fancy ones from the likes of Aungier Danger generally looked much better than they tasted.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Only feels like yesterday when the hype train for Aungier Danger was in full swing. Was it like 2015? Never had one and I was someone who talked about loving an American style donut shop in Dublin, tbf I think they were a bit much, you want a kind of rustic old donut shop where you and your African American partner meet up to discuss a new lead in the crime case gripping the city with an old fashioned cup of coffee.

Exactly! It’s only three short years. I’m surprised that they’ve gone this quickly. :eek: Thought there’d be a few more years in it. It genuinely seems so recently that they were splashed across the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,146 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

DaveyDave wrote: »
    That's not a great price to be fair, it's $8 for a dozen in the US so with sales tax it's about €7. They're 99c as a single. If it's £10 then maybe we're looking at €12 for a dozen.

The thing I like about Dunkin Donuts is 99c Donuts, 6 for $4 between 2-6pm and a dozen for $8. They have a medium iced coffee for $2.20 but at 2-6pm it was $2 with a donut. Donuts are good value for money over there.

I don't think Dunkin Coffee is too expensive in Spain either but it was about 3 years since I had them. Hopefully Krispy Kreme is cheap enough here. Food is stupidly expensive here compared to other EU cities.

It is quite reasonable compared to the prices in hipster donut shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Wonder will Offbeat Donuts survive?  I work in the IFSC and am forever seeing people walking around with their bags brining dozens back to their offices, they may do a big trade based on that type of customer.   

Have seen the Donuters shop on the quays down from O'Connell Bridge close down in recent months as well as their stand in the Ilac Centre go.  Was always going happen, too many on the market within the same area

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Wonder will Offbeat Donuts survive?  I work in the IFSC and am forever seeing people walking around with their bags brining dozens back to their offices, they may do a big trade based on that type of customer.   

Have seen the Donuters shop on the quays down from O'Connell Bridge close down in recent months as well as their stand in the Ilac Centre go.  Was always going happen, too many on the market within the same area

Offbeat Donuts seems to be the darling of the donut scene in Dublin. I’ve never had one so I don’t know what they’re like. But I’m sure they’ll be helped by one of their big competitors going to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Krispy Kreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Omackeral wrote: »
    Krispy Kreme

Do they have a kake shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't understand why everyone is losing their minds over Krispy Kreme when the Rolling Donut is infinitely better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Offbeat Donuts seems to be the darling of the donut scene in Dublin. I’ve never had one so I don’t know what they’re like. But I’m sure they’ll be helped by one of their big competitors going to the wall.

Offbeat next to Pearse Station have great donuts. Some of the staff are bit bellendish, but the donuts are class.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Can't understand why everyone is losing their minds over Krispy Kreme when the Rolling Donut is infinitely better.

People are idiots. Mrs Browne's Boys pulls in monster ratings. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Omackeral wrote: »
    People are idiots. Mrs Browne's Boys pulls in monster ratings. Case closed.

Bread and circuses, or in this case, donouts and Mrs Brown's Boys

Fat added to become more common is my prediction!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In Dublin City Centre at least, gelato places seem to be the new hot thing right now. They're what donut shops were in 2017.

gelato places seem to be the new hot thing right now. They're what donut shops were in 2017.

And pulled pork was the thing before before that...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Frozen yoghurt in Cork is the new thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Donut shops are the cupcake shops of 4 years ago.

It will probably pass.
    Except for Offbeat Donuts... I would bleed for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The people who say they got them and just simply had to bin them as they were so vile are always amusing.

No you didn't bin them. If you were that much of a ****ing connoisseur then you wouldn't be eating ****ing doughnuts in the first place you absolute blowhard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Offbeat next to Pearse Station have great donuts. Some of the staff are bit bellendish, but the donuts are class.

Like hipsterish?
    Patww79 wrote: »
    The people who say they got them and just simply had to bin them as they were so vile are always amusing.

No you didn't bin them. If you were that much of a ****ing connoisseur then you wouldn't be eating ****ing doughnuts in the first place you absolute blowhard.

Who said they binned them? I wasn’t keen on any of the fancy donuts like Aungier Danger and the Rolling Donut’s more elaborate donuts. But I hate food waste so of course I finished them despite not really liking them. I just didn’t buy any more after trying two or three different ones. Seriously, have many people said they binned them? Kinda seems like you’re getting het up over nothing here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Isn't there a Crispy Creme somewhere in town also ? or was Blanch the first one ?

Advertisement