Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro 14- Tv Viewing Options

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

For those with a Sky box (even if you don't currently subscribe to Sky), Eir Sports are running a promotion; €1 per month for 3 months.

https://subscribe.eirsport.ie/

Hard to see a downside to that. Obviously you'll only get two months of the rugby season out of it but still, a good way to dip your toe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just to remember if you don't have the Sky sub you can't timeshift or record the eir/bt channels.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For those with a Sky box (even if you don't currently subscribe to Sky), Eir Sports are running a promotion; €1 per month for 3 months.

https://subscribe.eirsport.ie/

Hard to see a downside to that. Obviously you'll only get two months of the rugby season out of it but still, a good way to dip your toe in.
    Just took this offer. Nice one.

I can't find Eir Sports 1 HD though. I can see 2 HD, but not 1.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So it turns out that Eir Sports 1 is SD only on Sky. That's a bit garbage really. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

You can if you're a Mobile bill pay customer that gets the phone aswell not on a sim only deal

Yeah but you can only cast to your TV if you're a broadband customer. You can only watch on your phone if you're a bill pay mobile customer. Am currently on a sim only but was gonna go bill pay to get the sports app assuming I could cast it. As that's not the case and I hate watching anything lasting more than 5 mins on my phone I'll either have to consider broadband with eir or the mirroring apps that have been suggested here.

• Advertisement

Folks if your broadband is good enough but don't want/can't go with eir ye should consider contacting them to see if they will let customers use the app for a monthly fee. Surely, they wouldn't want to turn away customers.

If you are on twitter maybe tweet eirsports and include the pro14 in it so they can see people's needs. If enough people do it they would have to offer something. The app is there afterall.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Freesat gave the go ahead for subscription services to be on the platform. There was a lot of speculation at the time that Now TV or BT would go on it. It already has Netflix, Rakuten TV, TVUK, Ketchup and other subscription streaming services.

Whether BT could be broadcasted over the satellite system on freesat I am not sure.

None of those services you mentioned actually broadcast on satellite at all! You may be able to get them through an app on the box, the same way you might through your Smart TV, but they are not being received through the satellite system. They are not “on Freesat” (insofar as Freesat is actually a platform - really it is no more than a particular specification for satellite recievers and an electronic programme guide for certain U.K. based channels on the Astra satellite).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Folks if your broadband is good enough but don't want/can't go with eir ye should consider contacting them to see if they will let customers use the app for a monthly fee. Surely, they wouldn't want to turn away customers.

If you are on twitter maybe tweet eirsports and include the pro14 in it so they can see people's needs. If enough people do it they would have to offer something. The app is there afterall.

Eir Sports exists solely to attract customers to subscribe to Eir broadband and/or mobile. They are never going to throw it open to people who want to stay with other BB providers unless a) they're forced to by Comreg or someone or b) Virgin Media's new sports channel gets enough traction to spark some sort of negotiation.

I have Virgin Media Broadband and have eir Sport (through satellite). True I pay handsomely for the privilege (€27.50pm now, I think) and it would be cheaper for me to have eir Broadband, but unfortunately that option isn’t open to me at present.

Eir Sports exists solely to attract customers to subscribe to Eir broadband and/or mobile. They are never going to throw it open to people who want to stay with other BB providers unless a) they're forced to by Comreg or someone or b) Virgin Media's new sports channel gets enough traction to spark some sort of negotiation.

What about people in NI who can't get eir broadband? Does the premier sports app apply to NI? I thought the tv rights deal covered the island of Ireland thus people in NI can't subscribe to the premier sports app?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What about people in NI who can't get eir broadband? Does the premier sports app apply to NI? I thought the tv rights deal covered the island of Ireland thus people in NI can't subscribe to the premier sports app?

No, the Premier Sport deal covers the whole of the UK including NI and the Eir sport deal cover the country of Ireland, not the whole island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

awec wrote: »
    So it turns out that Eir Sports 1 is SD only on Sky. That's a bit garbage really. :(

Just after noticing that myself, not good.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Just after noticing that myself, not good.

I think that will go HD eventually as Premier Sports in the uk (sister channel of eir sports) announced at the time that they would have a 2nd premier sports channel in the uk. I would presume this would be HD alongside the existing channel and thus eirsport 1 in HD should follow. That is just my hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Will Eurosport have coverage online in European markets again next season?

For anyone in NI it seems Virgin are going to offer 2 months free to Premier Sports. They have the rights for the UK and NI.

They are the sister channel of eir sports. Could Virgin be about to do a u turn re dealing with eir sports for the republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

For anyone in NI it seems Virgin are going to offer 2 months free to Premier Sports. They have the rights for the UK and NI.

They are the sister channel of eir sports. Could Virgin be about to do a u turn re dealing with eir sports for the republic?

I don't believe that PremierSports is connected to Eir at all anymore.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I don't believe that PremierSports is connected to Eir at all anymore.

They're separate companies now but if Virgin are acquiring PS for the pro14 in the uk it would make sense that they would also want them in Ireland. Could they possibly do a deal for the eir sport channels only as it is those that carry the pro14 games. They might not want the BT channels as tv3/virgin have 1 Champions Cup game.

I doubt it - Virgin Media UK did a deal with BT Sports in the past, who were similarly connected with EirSports, but Virgin Media Ireland didn't budge.

I doubt it - Virgin Media UK did a deal with BT Sports in the past, who were similarly connected with EirSports, but Virgin Media Ireland didn't budge.

AFAIK Eir Sports pay BT to carry their channels in Ireland. Virgin dealing with BT in the UK has no relevance to Virgin Ireland dealing with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Will Eurosport have coverage online in European markets again next season?

I really hope so as it was great last year. But i havent been able ot find anything about it yet.

• Advertisement

AFAIK Eir Sports pay BT to carry their channels in Ireland. Virgin dealing with BT in the UK has no relevance to Virgin Ireland dealing with Eir.

Yes, that's essentially my point - Virgin dealing with PremierSports in the UK has no relevance to Virgin Ireland dealing with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

I’m a sky customer tied to a broadband contact with them for a few more months. My question is if I join eir sport for 27.50 a month will I be able to view it through sky go as I’m not always staying where my sky box is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

neddynono wrote: »
    I’m a sky customer tied to a broadband contact with them for a few more months. My question is if I join eir sport for 27.50 a month will I be able to view it through sky go as I’m not always staying where my sky box is?

You don't get Eir from Sky if you are a Sky customer - you get it from Eir on a separate contract - you give them your viewing card number when you sign up. Eir/BT are not Sky channels, so you won't get them on Sky Go.

You get access to the setantago.com website, but you need a device that can run Silverlight (ie a PC/Mac).

Your best bet is to get eir broadband and you can then chromecast the games no matter where you are, on holidays in Europe even.

S4C will be showing one game a week, with some stipulations.

S4C Coverage per season until 2021:
    – 17 Live games including two Christmas derbies
    – 4 Derby games shown on delay
    – Guinness PRO14 Final Series: Delayed coverage if Welsh region involved
    – Guinness PRO14 Final: Live coverage if Welsh region involved

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/07/24/s4c-will-continue-to-show-free-to-air-guinness-pro14-games-until-202

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

fixtures out - seems to be a lot of games on at the same time - ie two games on eirsport 1 at 7.35 on the opening day

Saturday the 1st one game at 3pm and two games KO at 17.15 and 19.35

I know some games might be on eirsport 2 but given that premier sport is just one channel how will this be done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

As I understand it Premier are launching a second channel. Premier 1 HD now displaying on Sky EPG here in N.
    Ireland. Before it was just Premier.
    Feel a bit sorry for rugby viewers in Scotland who have no FTA coverage apart from Freesports. Irish and Welsh viewers at least have TG4 and S4C.

As I understand it Premier are launching a second channel. Premier 1 HD now displaying on Sky EPG here in N.
    Ireland. Before it was just Premier.
    Feel a bit sorry for rugby viewers in Scotland who have no FTA coverage apart from Freesports. Irish and Welsh viewers at least have TG4 and S4C.

Scottish people can freely and legally watch S4C via BBC iPlayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Scottish people can freely and legally watch S4C via BBC iPlayer.

I suppose with regard to FTA on these islands

TG4 for Ireland
    S4C/Freesports for the UK
    with regard to TG4 being available in NI I wonder on sky and virgin will the games be geo blocked

I suppose they went with S4c over BBC Alba for possibly two reasons

S4c available in HD
    S4c English commentary on the red button

In addition TG4 HD is available on eir vision at no extra cost i.e on the €15 pm eir essential pack (plus eir sport 1 and 2 HD included in that price as well)

Advertisement