Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5k to 10k in 20 days?

Options
  • 23-07-2018 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey everyone,
    I am currently running 5k's in around 35 mins. I know this isn't exactly an amazing time, but I just care about finishing my runs for the moment.

Is it possible to train for a 10k in 20 days? (Going from 5k to 10k in such time)

What do ya think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hey everyone,
    I am currently running 5k's in around 35 mins. I know this isn't exactly an amazing time, but I just care about finishing my runs for the moment.

Is it possible to train for a 10k in 20 days? (Going from 5k to 10k in such time)

What do ya think?

Yes I would think so.
    A bit of sweat and effort involved ..
    Just increase your long run at the weekends, so by the weekend before your 1ok run, you should be doing 8km.
    You would then get 10km on the day .. Easy :pac:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hey everyone,

What do ya think?

Is it possible? Yes

Is it advisable? Probably not

You would need to give some more insight into why you want to double the distance in that timeframe. I assume you are looking to do so for a race given that you have put a very specific timeframe on it

Personally, I think you would be better in the long term working on getting comfortable running a 5K first

I've seen a few people jump from running 5K to half marathons without proper training and then getting sick of running altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

I think it depends on your overall weekly mileage. If you're just running a single 5k parkrun or other 5k every week, it's a big ask.

If you're running 5k a few times a week already, it should be possible, although running the full 10k might be a bit of a push. I know when I did 5-10k training plan about 3 years ago, I was covering 10k within just over 3-4 weeks, albeit in blocks of 10-15 minutes running with 1-2 minutes walking in between each.

Advertisement