Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Large power tool from america

• 22-07-2018 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Folks

I'm heading over to the US in the next few weeks and thinking of purchasing a small robotic mower, (its about 10kg in weight and 1ft x 1.5 x 0.5 ft) and would fit in checked-in bag. As its battery powered I might take out the battery and carry that in cabin baggage as batteries are not permitted in checked in bag. As anyone done the same with power tools or something similar and how did you get on? Should I would remove packaging, instructions etc??
    Does it need to look used instead of brand new to avoid hassle with customs?
    If anyone has done some thing similar and can you let me know your experience.

Thanks in advance,

Gringro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Regarding the charger - check if it a dual voltage unit. It will say something like "Input110/220V 50/60 Hz" which means it will run on Irish or US mains electricity.

If the deal is a massive saving on the costs of an Irish unit look up Ebay Irl/UK and see what the cost of a charger is here

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gringro

Thanks for the advice Sugarman and Quietsailor, I'll look into it in more detail and see how it shapes up. 

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Tempted to do the same myself. Got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Regarding the charger - check if it a dual voltage unit. It will say something like "Input110/220V 50/60 Hz" which means it will run on Irish or US mains electricity.

+1 but highly unlikely for a gardening tool which is not something your typical US tourist would bring with him on vacation in Europe. So I can't see the manufacturer going to the expense of supplying a dual-voltage charger.
    If the deal is a massive saving on the costs of an Irish unit look up Ebay Irl/UK and see what the cost of a charger is here

I'd be wary about buying a battery charger on eBay, you could fry the battery and then your saving is down the tubes. Better to buy a plain transformer to convert 220V to 110V and use the original charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You might have problems with the batteries.

http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/rechargeable-batteries.htm

"Batteries with a Wh rating of 160 or less are allowed by the FAA, but those with a rating from 101 to 160 may only fly with your airline's approval."

• Advertisement
Advertisement