Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best runners for plantar fasciitis

• 21-07-2018 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi I'm currently suffering with plantar fasciitis. I'm doing all the icing and stretching that the physio has advised and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best running shoes for the condition.
    A lot of sites suggest the hoka bondi5, the asics gel kayano or any well cushioned shoe. I run in hoka Cliftons and also saucony kinvara and don't find they help. Has anyone any suggestions or any experience with the bondi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Those two shoes are at the opposite ends of cushioning, bith are neutral but will work quiet differently!
    The Bondi is a more cushioned shoe than the Clifton, I would make sure its a Neutral runner that you are👍

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I'm definitely neutral, physio and amphibian king both evaluated me.
    I've ran in all 4 series of the Clifton, but they have gone from incredibly light and cushioned to a more heavy responsive runner which I find harder to run in. I use the kinvara for races, the Clifton for long miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

fennor72 wrote: »
    I'm definitely neutral, physio and amphibian king both evaluated me.
    I've ran in all 4 series of the Clifton, but they have gone from incredibly light and cushioned to a more heavy responsive runner which I find harder to run in. I use the kinvara for races, the Clifton for long miles.
    I was advised to wear,adidas boost,when I had this.But I eventually just stopped running.The pain just was too much,the day after a long run,or any speed work.3/4 months of no running,and just spinning on the bike in the gym,eventually helped me to overcome it.Best of luck.It is a rotten injury.

When was the last time you had your gait analysed?
    Do you wear steel toe cap boots or stand on a hard/concrete floor in your work?

When was the last time you had your gait analysed? Do you wear steel toe cap boots or stand on a hard/concrete floor in your work?

Gait was analysed about 2 years ago. I wear runners at work and don't stand a lot. I do think it's probably just wear and tear from road running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Tarbyonline

I’m a big fan of ASICS but it’s been a while since I purchased any trainers as I can’t run anymore due to back issues following a RTA. Perhaps your physio could help out with some suggestions?

All sounds good alright, think you are right about wear and tare! I would get the gait checked out again after that period of time, with putting a lot of miles on the clock if your gait has changed slightly as it can with age it could be the reason for the plantar.
    I wish you luck with the plantar, ive been that soldier and its a tough station...

All sounds good alright, think you are right about wear and tare! I would get the gait checked out again after that period of time, with putting a lot of miles on the clock if your gait has changed slightly as it can with age it could be the reason for the plantar. I wish you luck with the plantar, ive been that soldier and its a tough station...

Thanks I'll get my gait checked again. Went out for a run tonight and thought I'd wear an old pair of Cliftons 1 that I never really used, they are really cushioned and really dulled the pain so I might get the Bondi5 they can only help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Hi I'm currently suffering with plantar fasciitis. I'm doing all the icing and stretching that the physio has advised and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best running shoes for the condition.
    A lot of sites suggest the hoka bondi5, the asics gel kayano or any well cushioned shoe. I run in hoka Cliftons and also saucony kinvara and don't find they help. Has anyone any suggestions or any experience with the bondi

Heel wedges in your current shoes may be worth a try in the interim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I've had plantar. I found that no matter the shoe, the pain won't go away. Why would it? Icing and stretching on their own aren't the answer. Nor is a physio or muscular therapist, imo. Go see a podiatrist. I recommend Justin Blake at www.podiatry.ie - he's the guy I went to see, mainly because he tries to avoid 'tech' solutions like orthotics, splints, or, God forbid, surgery. He espouses simple manipulation and foot exercises. On day one, he told me it takes about 10-12 weeks to cure, and sure enough it was gone about 3 months later. What's more, it hasn't come back. The most hi-tech thing he did was to hand me a wooden dowel - a stick, basically, about the bore of the average thumb, with instructions to walk over it, barefoot, very slowly, three times a day. Utter agony. I quickly christened it my stick of pain, and those words are still on it in biro. But to reiterate. No shoe will make that much difference. Just get rid of the plantar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    I was advised to wear,adidas boost,when I had this.But I eventually just stopped running.The pain just was too much,the day after a long run,or any speed work.3/4 months of no running,and just spinning on the bike in the gym,eventually helped me to overcome it.Best of luck.It is a rotten injury.
    Agree. The only cure is time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You can get a PF strap, Mueller is one brand that do them.
    It won't cure PF, but will provide additional support if you want to continue running and minimise any further damage.
    I've only heard of time healing PF, no quick fix unfortunately.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You can get a PF strap, Mueller is one brand that do them.
    It won't cure PF, but will provide additional support if you want to continue running and minimise any further damage.
    I've only heard of time healing PF, no quick fix unfortunately.
    Tried one of those Mueller socks; it woke me up at night when it got too uncomfortable. So (for me) a waste of Eu40. However the concept is good so when I spotted those 8-shaped chest expander things in Dealz for Eu1.50, I thought h'mmm that might do the trick. I put my foot in one end loop and the other loop around my knee so that the plantar is stretched. When sitting watching TV or reading, I put it on for half an hour or so. It works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

footing wrote: »
    Tried one of those Mueller socks; it woke me up at night when it got too uncomfortable. So (for me) a waste of Eu40. However the concept is good so when I spotted those 8-shaped chest expander things in Dealz for Eu1.50, I thought h'mmm that might do the trick. I put my foot in one end loop and the other loop around my knee so that the plantar is stretched. When sitting watching TV or reading, I put it on for half an hour or so. It works a treat.

You are probably thinking of something like this, whereas I'm talking about this

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You are probably thinking of something like this, whereas I'm talking about this
    Yup - you're right. Never came across those straps.

I still think the only cure for PF is time - and (in my case) being aware that is was the gear changing in a new car that caused the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

footing wrote: »
    I still think the only cure for PF is time

Assuming you mean along with treatment. It won't go away by itself.

davedanon wrote: »
    Assuming you mean along with treatment. It won't go away by itself.
    Follow the guidelines on stretching (both the PF and the calf muscles) and do at least twice a day. And pick up a set of soft rubber heel raises for under a tenner in TK Maxx (these cost over €30 in a certain physio supply shop, who - impressively - told me what I was already using was just as good as anything they had...). I wasted a good deal of money on "treatment" in the early weeks; time truly is the only healer. And in my case, realising what caused the problem. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Foot support when not running is also very important too. I think some with PF will try to wear running shoes most of the day for extra support.
    And although it didn't go down too well with the OH and you'll take the last of any street cred you might have to sub zero bur I bought a pair of Birkenstock sandals :)

Not cheap and I'm sure there's cheaper alternatives but I found them great and as well as rest and exercises thought that they really helped with my PF

Hi just a quick update, pf still annoying me, doing the calf, Achilles stretches every day, the hockey ball under the foot and around the heel and icing it. I ended up buying the hoka bondi5 and have kept running. It is very cushioned which does help and does not encourage fast running because it is quite big and clumpy.
    What has given me some relief is a trip to the physio where she dry needled the heal, it was excruciating at the time but it cleared it for a couple of days.
    Also I know there are mixed views on this but at home I have been walking around barefoot. I spent half the day barefoot with absolutely no pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jimmy74

I suffered with the dreaded PF for the last few years, got to the stage last year that I didn't run for over 3 months, even to walk was an issue, getting out of bed first thing in the morning was so painful while putting the foot on the floor.
    Slowly started back running this year, pain was just about manageable but as I upped the distance & did a few races, the pain returned but I tried bravely(in hindsight foolishly) to soldier on.
    I ended doing damage to the groin muscle.
    I had gone to a physio about it last year, got & did the exercises for most days, rolling with an ice bottle, icing etc.

Enventually I bit the bullet & went back to an older physio I had used before, I had avoided him on this issue as I know he does orthotics @ €300 or so a pop.
    Well I have fallen arches in one foot, which in turn had my body compensating for it which led to a problem with the groin. He recommended orthotics alright, one's specific to my foot, gave me a contact number for a supplier, these as he said himself would not be the Rolls Royce of orthotics that he normally does but will more than be sufficient to do the job( cost about €50 including delivery)

That was approx 6 weeks ago,now I can get out of bed in the morning without any pain.
    I'm running freer with no pains in my foot, Distances have been upped(up to 16 miles now) & back doing speed sessions with the club.
    I stopped earlier this year walking around barefoot & using basic flipflop.

On the insoles, I normally use Nike Zoom elites or Saucony ride for Running, Managed to pick up a pair of asics nimbus cheap, wasn't a fan of these as I felt they were just too soft but after putting the new orthotic insoles into them has transformed them to a runner I quite like now & at the moment is gonna be my runner of choice for my next marathon attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

I believe I have PF too, going to head to a physio this week to confirm. In the meantime, should I avoid running all together? It doesn't hurt when I run, but there is increased pain the next morning when I start walking around, so I assume I'm still doing more damage. I should probably ditch my cons for every day usage too :(

Benzino wrote:
    I believe I have PF too, going to head to a physio this week to confirm. In the meantime, should I avoid running all together? It doesn't hurt when I run, but there is increased pain the next morning when I start walking around, so I assume I'm still doing more damage. I should probably ditch my cons for every day usage too

I did run with my pf but it became painful. In the end time settled it down along with a regiment of stretches every evening, icing the area and a hockey ball under the foot for message. I did buy hoka bondi5 they did help but were not worth the money. I find them very clumpy and heavy.
    See what the physio says, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

I did run with my pf but it became painful. In the end time settled it down along with a regiment of stretches every evening, icing the area and a hockey ball under the foot for message. I did buy hoka bondi5 they did help but were not worth the money. I find them very clumpy and heavy.
    See what the physio says, good luck with it.

I'll wait and see so, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I'm just coming out the other side of PF. The pain started back in sept and I ignored it as I was just returning to running after a disc issue so didn't want to stop. Then it got so bad that I couldn't walk day after a run and driving was a big issue (I've 130km daily commute so this was not good)

New years eve it was confirmed to me that I had PF and my foot was taped and calves stretched out but didn't make much difference so I had to stop running and I didn't run for the month of January.

At the end of the month I went to get treatment with a new person(Combined muscles therapy) and she spend guts of 1 3/4 hours working on all my aches and pains and told me to go back running.

Couple of thing that helped me!!

1. Roll on a tennis ball few times every day (golf ball was too severe) I had pain in left foot only but on rolling discovered the same tenderness in both feet, so probably was only a matter of time before pain started in second foot.

2. I was doing exercises before I got out of bed every morning. wriggle toes back and forth 30 times, roll ankles both directions 10 times and then roll for a min on the tennis ball, before placing foot on ground.

3. Every evening when I got home from work i'd ice and stretch the foot,

4. calf stretches are critical as most PF is an extension of tight calf/Achilles

I've had 3 session with the therapist where she did cupping, dry needling, massage and a machine which I think she said is oscillator( like a sander).

the last session she dry needled my foot and I have to say the pain is 95% gone since that session.

I'd be back for another treatment only I've to wait for blisters to heal on the soles of my feet from new orthotics that are too hard. I wear orthotics so was a bit confused as to why I got it, but they needed replacing.

Best of luck with it and stretch & roll & ice all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Younganne wrote: »
    I'm just coming out the other side of PF. The pain started back in sept and I ignored it as I was just returning to running after a disc issue so didn't want to stop. Then it got so bad that I couldn't walk day after a run and driving was a big issue (I've 130km daily commute so this was not good)

New years eve it was confirmed to me that I had PF and my foot was taped and calves stretched out but didn't make much difference so I had to stop running and I didn't run for the month of January.

At the end of the month I went to get treatment with a new person(Combined muscles therapy) and she spend guts of 1 3/4 hours working on all my aches and pains and told me to go back running.

Couple of thing that helped me!!

1. Roll on a tennis ball few times every day (golf ball was too severe) I had pain in left foot only but on rolling discovered the same tenderness in both feet, so probably was only a matter of time before pain started in second foot.

2. I was doing exercises before I got out of bed every morning. wriggle toes back and forth 30 times, roll ankles both directions 10 times and then roll for a min on the tennis ball, before placing foot on ground.

3. Every evening when I got home from work i'd ice and stretch the foot,

4. calf stretches are critical as most PF is an extension of tight calf/Achilles

I've had 3 session with the therapist where she did cupping, dry needling, massage and a machine which I think she said is oscillator( like a sander).

the last session she dry needled my foot and I have to say the pain is 95% gone since that session.

I'd be back for another treatment only I've to wait for blisters to heal on the soles of my feet from new orthotics that are too hard. I wear orthotics so was a bit confused as to why I got it, but they needed replacing.

Best of luck with it and stretch & roll & ice all the time.

I was with you until you said cupping! That's just quackery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Had this since August absolute ba#tard and so frustrating tried everything ice heat weird internet stretches gels insoles new kayanos dumping old shoes....

Eventually whittled it down to 3 stretches calf hip and toe touch and it's starting to loosin .also holding the stretches for 2 minutes and doing the when ever I get a chance ,good luck with it it's a boll#x

ps foam roller on calf is a great help

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Had PF for first 6 months of 2018, did all the stretching rolling etc to no avail. Never bothered me while running, but was hobbled by the pain after sitting or being in bed. Only relief was my own version of the Strassburg sock, made using a length of rubber resistance band - looped around the toes to pull them upward and anchored around the top of my calf. Used this while sitting, or for 15 mins before getting out of bed worked a treat at reducing initial pain.

In the end, as I upped the mileage for Belfast 24, the PF cured itself.

Fast forward to Jan 2019 and I brought on the PF again by damaging my foot arch on a nighttime trail run. Much the same story again, limping around between runs - but since I have ramped mileage up from 40 to 80 miles a week in the last couple of weeks, the pain is magically disappearing. Long may it last!

In the longer term I intend to get back to a mix of cross training i.e. cycling, swimming, light weights which I hope will prevent reoccurrence.

Also been alternating Altra (zero drop) runners with my Brooks since December - can certainly feel a stretch on the calves when using them and may switch completely to zero drop in the long term.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement