Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating words or phrases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'Excited for'.

The mangling of the English language by companies; 'bringing great together', 'backing brave'.

The person who came up with those phrases should be taken out at dawn and shot with balls of their own sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Happy out :rolleyes:

What the actual f*ck does that mean ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Lit

This :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

'Excited for'.

The mangling of the English language by companies; 'bringing great together', 'backing brave'.

The person who came up with those phrases should be taken out at dawn and shot with balls of their own sh!t.

This gets on my tits too. Corporate jargon is horrible in all its forms. It's amazing how it persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Living my best life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

The 'it'll be fine they said' as pointed out by another poster is incredibly annoying;

Literally - I absolutely cannot stand how that word has almost become a placeholder to be used incorrectly while the invariably thick person using it is trying to think of what to say next;

Pull the finger out / puking my ring up - two phrases that I have always found to be particularly disgusting and physically cringe when used in my company;

'Would of'

'At the end of the day...'

'To be perfectly honest' - if you feel the need to preface everything you say with that you're probably not being very honest at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Super Excited

Super Stoked

Hi Guys

Ok Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

"ah sure why not"

"Would be rude not to"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

When doing a design job and your brief is

me: "ok, so what are you looking for?"

them: "I dont know, have fun with it."

.....what the hell is the supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yolo.

'Sick' - when not referring to an illness.

'End of play'.

'As a woman ...'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Take a breath.

... Hold it ... (really meaning this person has'nt a clue what your talking about)

Just weird.

Whaaa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Starting a sentence with "Look!" Seems to be a habit mostly in the Southern half of the country.

"Look!" and "Like!" seem to be bedfellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Jennehy wrote: »
    Moist mucus

:D As soon as I saw this thread, I ran a search on " Moist ". I Knew it'd be in here! Post 16, look, and we have it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Would ya ever fook off

Go fook youself

I don't give a fook

Fook you

Holy fook

For fook sake

What in the name of fook?

Go to fook

Fookin brillient

It's gone to fook

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

^

Fuck off.

Go To Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Literally
    Dude(when said by anyone over 14)

the-dude.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Tickety-boo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

"End of". Pathetic attempt to sound extra-forceful or even more right. If your statement is correct this is unnecessary; if it isn't it won't make it any less wrong.

End of's stable mate, "Simple as". When people use this in conversation I look at them expectantly, waiting for the comparison to be completed.

"In the context of" Particularly favoured by politicians wanting to appear more learned. It doesn't work.

"Right?" or "OK?" after each statement. Are you asking me or telling me? All this does is make the preceding statement sound uncertain.

"Do you know that kinda way?" Where the hell did this gibberish even come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

"calling someone out"---utter shoite phrase used most frequently by the politically correct when encountering sexism, racism, transphobia etc. etc. By all means challenge or oppose their views, argue or disagree with their statements, but unless you are actually and literally standing outside the pub in the car park calling them out for a scrap, you're not "calling them out", you're just **** away on Twatter .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When a member of the hard left open their mouth everything after that is an irritating word or phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

'Calling out' does my head in as well.

Natter

Bullsh¡t

Discombobulate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

terracotta - some people just love saying that a bit too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Joe prim wrote: »
    "calling someone out"---utter shoite phrase used most frequently by the politically correct when encountering sexism, racism, transphobia etc. etc. By all means challenge or oppose their views, argue or disagree with their statements, but unless you are actually and literally standing outside the pub in the car park calling them out for a scrap, you're not "calling them out", you're just **** away on Twatter .

Here here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Lorelli! wrote: »
    terracotta - some people just love saying that a bit too much.

I like terracotta (just back from holiday in Italy where you can't get away from it), but panna cotta tastes much nicer.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

storker wrote: »
    I like terracotta (just back from holiday in Italy where you can't get away from it), but panna cotta tastes much nicer.. :)

I don't mind it or the colour itself but I knew this woman who was like a Hyacinth Bucket and she never stopped on about it! Terracotta walls, terracotta tiles! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

endacl wrote: »
    'Litchrally'

Fuck off.

“Lichrilly”...even worse....:mad::mad:commonplace in the UK....becoming as bad here.....:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

This gets on my tits too. Corporate jargon is horrible in all its forms. It's amazing how it persists.
    "Gets on my tits" :(

• Advertisement

How are you????

That's GOOD!!!!!

And how is ..........

Advertisement