Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toughest Trade - Rugby and Other sports Referee Swap

Options
  • 16-07-2018 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I would love to see a program liked the toughest trade where they swapped the referees from the different sports just to get their perspective on the differences. Obviously it would take a lot of studying of the laws for them but would be great if they brought their style of refereeing to the other sports to see.

Rugby Vs Soccer, Rugby Vs GAA, Soccer Vs GAA etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

There's plenty of referees at lower levels that referee several sports. I know quite a few that ref gaelic/hurling and rugby. union and league. Would be interesting to see the views of some of the top refs in each sport though.

There was a programme a few years ago on setanta on referees. It featured Alan Kelly (soccer), David Coldrick (Gaelic Football), Barry Kelly (hurling) and Alain Rolland (Rugby).

Each episode featured a different ref and what their day job was as well as in game footage and prep/warm down for games

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

There's plenty of referees at lower levels that referee several sports. I know quite a few that ref gaelic/hurling and rugby. union and league. Would be interesting to see the views of some of the top refs in each sport though.

I’d love to hear how your friends feel about reffing the different sports. Is the perceived lack of respect in soccer compared to rugby something they experienced or just at the top level of the game etc?

ekevosu wrote: »
    I’d love to hear how your friends feel about reffing the different sports. Is the perceived lack of respect in soccer compared to rugby something they experienced or just at the top level of the game etc?
    Its at every level and isnt perceived lack of respect in soccer or gaelic/hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Its at every level and isnt perceived lack of respect in soccer or gaelic/hurling.

I only ever played rugby from the age of 7 so never got the exposure to other sports. Respecting the ref, giving away 10 metres for any lip was bred into us early. That's why its a bit alien to me why the refs in other sports allow it and don't penalise it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I only ever played rugby from the age of 7 so never got the exposure to other sports. Respecting the ref, giving away 10 metres for any lip was bred into us early. That's why its a bit alien to me why the refs in other sports allow it and don't penalise it more.

I played GAA from underage all the way up to senior, refs will most definitely move a free up 10 metres for any back chat and are more than willing to book players for it also.

Soccer at the top level seems to be the only one where I've seen refs not penalising it as frequently. At lower level they definitely do.

• Advertisement

Its more never been developed as a culture and support on sideline and their interaction with refs is different which doesnt help things
    I played GAA from underage all the way up to senior, refs will most definitely move a free up 10 metres for any back chat and are more than willing to book players for it also.

Soccer at the top level seems to be the only one where I've seen refs not penalising it as frequently. At lower level they definitely do.
    More are doing it now and they do move it 13m for dissent but there's far more that frees could be moved for. And i would say its far from a sizeable percentage that will move up free's for dissent. I wouldnt have attended many club games since i stopped playing hurling about 12/13 years ago but do know these days due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Its more never been developed as a culture and support on sideline and their interaction with refs is different which doesnt help things

More are doing it now and they do move it 13m for dissent but there's far more that frees could be moved for. And i would say its far from a sizeable percentage that will move up free's for dissent. I wouldnt have attended many club games since i stopped playing hurling about 12/13 years ago but do know these days due to work.

I was told in the last round of directives from the Dublin County Board it was noted that it's to be enforced more.

It all depends on the ref I guess. We were given more leeway at junior level, but I remember playing senior league and the majority of the refs being absolute hounds for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I would love to see a program liked the toughest trade where they swapped the referees from the different sports just to get their perspective on the differences. Obviously it would take a lot of studying of the laws for them but would be great if they brought their style of refereeing to the other sports to see.

Rugby Vs Soccer, Rugby Vs GAA, Soccer Vs GAA etc

Super idea but I think with Rugby being so technical it would be harder to get a Soccer or GAA ref unless they were prepared to put a lot of time in.

I was told in the last round of directives from the Dublin County Board it was noted that it's to be enforced more.

It all depends on the ref I guess. We were given more leeway at junior level, but I remember playing senior league and the majority of the refs being absolute hounds for it.
    I think refs for gaelic, hurling and soccer need to be stronger in this regard which would help the,
    Super idea but I think with Rugby being so technical it would be harder to get a Soccer or GAA ref unless they were prepared to put a lot of time in.
    How much time would you think it would need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gene Steratore who retired last month deserves a mention here. For the last 15 years he was a head ref in the NFL who was in charge of this year's Superbowl, and at the same time refereed top division NCAA basketball games in arguably the biggest conference in college sports, which are obviously huge over there (the NCAA basketball final got 26mn viewers). Not the flashiest achievement, but a pretty incredible one all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement