Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the best resources for Coaching?

Options
  • 16-07-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

I've been coaching (helping with my sons team) for about 3 years now. Training 1 day a week and 1 match at weekends.
    I played at a very low level myself so the quality of coaching I received was not world leading stuff.
    I'm trying to upskill myself a bit by trying to learn more from workshops and the learning.gaa website.
    Are they any other forums or resources out there that anyone would recommend using or getting my hands on, that any of you have used yourselves before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I'm unsure of the target age for your group of players but straight off the top of my head have a look at Colm Nally's twitter page, there's actually a pinned tweet for a recently published handbook, but there's also some great drills that can be applied across different age groups or simplified for the younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I'm unsure of the target age for your group of players but straight off the top of my head have a look at Colm Nally's twitter page, there's actually a pinned tweet for a recently published handbook, but there's also some great drills that can be applied across different age groups or simplified for the younger players.

Did he manage Fingal Ravens? He has a decent record of managing club teams to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Gael85 wrote: »
    Did he manage Fingal Ravens? He has a decent record of managing club teams to success.

Yes indeed Gael he was with Ravens - now in with Castleknock. was also involved with Louth and took Colmcilles to the AI Intermediate final last year. He has an engaging personality and while I wouldn't necessarily agree with everything he coaches he comes across very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I've been coaching (helping with my sons team) for about 3 years now. Training 1 day a week and 1 match at weekends.
    I played at a very low level myself so the quality of coaching I received was not world leading stuff.
    I'm trying to upskill myself a bit by trying to learn more from workshops and the learning.gaa website.
    Are they any other forums or resources out there that anyone would recommend using or getting my hands on, that any of you have used yourselves before?

Do at least the Level 1. Do it. commit to it. do every learning day you can attend. All the books and youtube videos are useless unless youre looking to augment what you learned on the courses.

Depending on where you are in the country stay tuned on the facebook pages of your county and neighbouring counties. theyll announce them there.
    email your counties development officer and ask.

As above Colm Nally is not just one of the best coaches but he is one of the head tutors for the courses. Highly recommend you stay on his twitter page but you'll only be augmenting the courses. He's a leinster tutor as well. If you do the L1 or L2 good chance he'll be giving it anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Where are the best resources for coaching? :D I know where the most resources are.

No, as suggested, do some of the courses. You'll see some drills in action and get a firmer understanding of what you're aiming to achieve or should be aiming to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Watch plenty of videos on YouTube
    Watch other coaches in action
    Read about stuff in other sports
    Try things out. Make the practice fun. Make it into a game. Set targets
    If it doesn't work, so what. Try something else the next day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Look at other sports and pick and mix up drills to keep things fun and always different.
    What age are players because a lot will be different depending on age of players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

+1 to peoples suggestions of looking outside the sport to be honest.

Here are a few links to good training talk

https://www.hmmrmedia.com/
    https://ylmsportscience.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/wtcatennis/?hc_ref=ARR5ogayzGmxvUT5vu_ej2iZA44oIhBmwKldqpMyy2AE-iZGiMrZIj_8dpzhG6cx11w&fref=nf&hc_location=group

Aside from this build a network around you don't be afraid to reach out to coaches across all sports

Fair play on attempting to upskill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Colm Nally was a superb keeper. Played with O'Dwyers with John O'Leary playing outfield. He moved to Drogheda and played with Newtown blues and also for Louth. Nice lad.

As for the coaching the one thing I would say is dont neglect the basic skills. These are crucial in the long run. Kicking off both feet (not at same time) Using both hands for passing and catching. Watch other club coachs. Keep drills as simple as possible. I always have ball in all drills and even for warm-ups. It gets a little different as they get older when you want to develop a style of play. It can be difficult when you have players of different abilities but if they have the basics you have a good starting point.
    It does not matter what level you played work on basics

Advertisement