Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liquidator in at Dingle Brewing (Creans)

• 12-11-2017 11:35pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Paywalled article - I get the paper printed still but there's not a huge amount of content.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/liquidator-appointed-creans-lager-brewer-402631

1.6m in debts, mainly to Revenue. Suspect we may have gone past the peak in volume of brewers and some contraction and consolidiation is needed.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I doubt it's that simple. Breweries close because the people running them are bad at business and no other reason. Crean's was an odd one-beer model that didn't work out for them. Jack Doyle's and Evans have both closed as well - small operations that didn't put the resources into getting the product to customers. There's still loads of room on the market for breweries that know what they're doing, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Yeah, Ireland is nowhere near saturation point.

That said, new breweries popping up who aren't "in it for the love" get some amount of stick for that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't say I'm surprised.

They came into the 'craft' market with a product aimed squarely at the mainstream. Very questionable provenance didn't help their cause either. They made no attempt to broaden their product range.

I really don't think this is a sign of saturation, either.

Poor idea, badly implemented, I'd say.

I wonder how revenue let them get in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I wonder how revenue let them get in arrears.

Perhaps they had a tun of patience with them :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The bottles disappeared off the market for ages and when we queried it with them they said they had bottling issues and were also concentrating more on kegs for pubs etc. It finally came back in stock a few months ago, but the price went up a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

They tried to go after the then untapped market for a 'premium' Irish lager but Diageo has in the meantime really sewn that market up with HH13.

The underhand brewing in Glasgow and Clonmel really did for their credibility. Hopefully someone takes on their brewery in Dingle and brews some real craft beer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another liquidation - never actually heard of these before though

https://fora.ie/achill-island-brewery-3740673-Dec2017/

I didn't mean saturation by peak in my original post - I think its now the time that smaller, badly run breweries or places with terrible product will run out of steam with people buying stuff locally because its new and also use up their lines of credit. I wouldn't be surprised at all with a net reduction over a few years.

L1011 wrote: »
    Mediocre to poor. You didn't miss much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I was at their launch night after a half marathon down there. Meh.

L1011 wrote: »

https://fora.ie/achill-island-brewery-3740673-Dec2017/

I didn't mean saturation by peak in my original post - I think its now the time that smaller, badly run breweries or places with terrible product will run out of steam with people buying stuff locally because its new and also use up their lines of credit. I wouldn't be surprised at all with a net reduction over a few years.

With several decent brewers already in the general area, Achill had it's work cut out; it's meh beer didn't help their hopes.

• Advertisement

Sorry to drag this thread up but a friend of mine saw this on tap in a Kerry pub. The barman was asked about it by my friend but was quite defensive about the beer for whatever reason. It doesn't appear to be the same people at first glance....

https://www.creanfamilycraftale.com

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sorry to drag this thread up but a friend of mine saw this on tap in a Kerry pub. The barman was asked about it by my friend but was quite defensive about the beer for whatever reason. It doesn't appear to be the same people at first glance....

https://www.creanfamilycraftale.com

Made by Torc brewery in Killarney.

It doesn't appear to be the same people at first glance....
    It's not/wasn't (Torc isn't trading at the moment AFAIK). Apparently the Crean family weren't happy about Tom Crean's Lager using the name.

The liquidated Tom Crean's is still in existence, run by the same people, but no longer has a brewery. I suspect it's brewed at C&C in Clonmel but don't have any information either way.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's not/wasn't (Torc isn't trading at the moment AFAIK). Apparently the Crean family weren't happy about Tom Crean's Lager using the name.

The liquidated Tom Crean's is still in existence, run by the same people, but no longer has a brewery. I suspect it's brewed at C&C in Clonmel but don't have any information either way.

As ever, some excellent clarification from your good self.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Independent in Connemara also going in to liquidation.

https://fora.ie/independent-brewing-company-liquidation-4113137-Jul2018/?utm_source=twitter

Had their stuff a few times and think it was decent but hadnt seen it on sale recently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

As far as I’m aware, Altech now own the Tom Creans lager brand.

Didn’t realise Torc aren’t trading, are they gone completely?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    As far as I’m aware, Altech now own the Tom Creans lager brand.
    This story seems to have gone round very quickly and as far as I know is completely without substance. Jerry O'Sullivan is still company Director (though it's a new company). Alltech's head brewer told me they're not brewing Tom Crean's and have no involvement with the brand. Can you post any information you have that suggests Alltech does own Crean's now?
    Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Didn’t realise Torc aren’t trading, are they gone completely?
    Depends on your definition of "completely". They are currently following a lead on a possible partnership (not with a macro or any of them bad lads) which will hopefully have them up and running again.

This story seems to have gone round very quickly and as far as I know is completely without substance. Jerry O'Sullivan is still company Director (though it's a new company). Alltech's head brewer told me they're not brewing Tom Crean's and have no involvement with the brand. Can you post any information you have that suggests Alltech does own Crean's now?

Obviously just a rumour going around!

Advertisement