Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Physiotherapist/Counselor or Life Coach

• 15-07-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi just looking for some advice, I find myself in my mid forties stuck in a rut in most areas of my life without any direction or plan and wondering if a Physiotherapist/Counselor or life coach would be the best option in terms of helping me with some of these issues and how I would filter through to find the most suitable one. Any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

picaso30 wrote: »
    Hi just looking for some advice, I find myself in my mid forties stuck in a rut in most areas of my life without any direction or plan and wondering if a Physiotherapist/Counselor or life coach would be the best option in terms of helping me with some of these issues and how I would filter through to find the most suitable one. Any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Start off by chatting to a Counsellor, you’ve nothing to lose bar an hour of your life and it could lead to massive positive changes.

For a list of fully qualified, fully accredited Counsellor’s, go to the Irish Association of Counsellors and Psychitherapists here - www.iacp.ie - and you should see a drop down option which leads you to a list of Counsellors in your area. Take a look at their skills and qualifications and pick one that matches with what you’re looking for.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

Thanks for that Bobbysands81, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You need to be very careful with this, counsellor is not a "protected" title like "nurse" or "doctor"

It's only lately they are regulating it :
    (22.3.2018)
    Minister Harris welcomes the approval by the Oireachtas of the Regulations designating the professions of counsellor and psychotherapist for regulation under the Health and Social Care Professionals Act 2005

Minister for Health Simon Harris today (21 March) welcomed the fact that the regulation of the professions of counsellor and psychotherapist has moved a step closer.

Until that, anyone can call themselves a counsellor

So for your own safety, only go to people who have an actual qualification from a university you could drive to and have a look around

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

Thanks for that gctest50, alot of them seem to have a BSc (Hons) Counselling & Psychotherapy so I presume this is sufficient.

I think a life coach is more what your are looking for based on your post. They will help you put a plan in place and take action on achieving your goals.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that gctest50, alot of them seem to have a BSc (Hons) Counselling & Psychotherapy so I presume this is sufficient.

Everyone on that list I gave earlier is fully qualified and accredited and has gone through a rigorous process of gaining the required qualifications, experience and expertise... to get accredited by the IACP you need at least 550 client hours, regular supervision of your own work, at least 50 hours of personal therapy, all on top of your qualifications. It’s a painstaking process but will hopefully weed out some hucksters.

www.iacp.ie

I think a life coach is more what your are looking for based on your post. They will help you put a plan in place and take action on achieving your goals.

I’d strongly recommend a therapist before a life coach. The reasons for why a person may be in a rut are better treated by a Counsellor in my opinion.

I’d strongly recommend a therapist before a life coach. The reasons for why a person may be in a rut are better treated by a Counsellor in my opinion.

That is your opinion yes. Mine is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Everyone on that list I gave earlier is fully qualified and accredited and has gone through a rigorous process of gaining the required qualifications, experience and expertise... to get accredited by the IACP you need at least 550 client hours, regular supervision of your own work, at least 50 hours of personal therapy, all on top of your qualifications. It’s a painstaking process but will hopefully weed out some hucksters.

www.iacp.ie

Irish Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy may have no role post 2018

https://bit.ly/2uo3YbM

The chair and deputy chair of the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP), a registered charity, have resigned.

It means the association’s entire board has now been replaced following a disagreement over transparency.

There are 21 such bodies involved in regulation

Advertisement