Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

What is BT? is it British Telecom! Just wondering.

Used to be at one time, now it doesn't stand for anything, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Eir have confirmed on twitter it's not blocked either and they have every game live..
    really silly move by virgin/liberty on this

Well that’s the nail in the coffin, absolutely no way can I see any kind of numbers subscribing - greed is an awful thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

irishfeen wrote: »
    Well that’s the nail in the coffin, absolutely no way can I see any kind of numbers subscribing - greed is an awful thing!

Sure they will make the money back from the price increases on TV, Phone & Broadband which usually kick in around January. This reason will be number one on the list for the increases.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Sure they will make the money back from the price increases on TV, Phone & Broadband which usually kick in around January. This reason will be number one on the list for the increases.

Madness!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Statement from Eir confirming that BT Sport will continue to have rights to UEFA club football in Ireland:

https://www.eirsport.ie/all-champions-league-available-on-the-eir-sport-pack

Right now I’m not sure why any Eir Sport customer would pay any more for the VM Sport channel - certainly not €20pm

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Statement from Eir confirming that BT Sport will continue to have rights to UEFA club football in Ireland:

https://www.eirsport.ie/all-champions-league-available-on-the-eir-sport-pack

Right now I’m not sure why any Eir Sport customer would pay any more for the VM Sport channel - certainly not €20pm

I wonder do Virgin actually realise that their rights are non-exclusive...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wonder do Virgin actually realise that their rights are non-exclusive...

They do of course. They will look to outbid eir for that BT sports pack when it comes up next (summer 2019) and that will mean price increases for the user.

They are laying the path out. Their own sports channel (like eir) and will hope to have the BT channels alongside it. Some fta content could be given to saorview to entice subscriptions while they will have the app (subscription) for those who can't access Virgin broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

If you can't access Virgin broadband or TV it's also likely you don't have internet speeds high enough for a streaming only channel. My own parents for example have BT Sport/eir sport through Sky but have a measly 1mb home internet connection thanks to eir still not rolling out broadband. If they were faced with the option of going streaming only they'd be watching nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

This is a great point yes. People with no or slow internet or capped broadband will have issues with any of these streaming only services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

This is a great deal for current Virgin customers, finally they have offered something great for their customers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    This is a great deal for current Virgin customers, finally they have offered something great for their customers,

Yeah really it's to regain anybody who left, what do Eir/Sky customers have that Virgin don't?

I don’t there’s any thing VM Sport truely have exclusively

UEFA Champions and Europa League - BT Sport
    UEFA Nations League - Sky
    European Qualifiers - ITV & Sky
    Six Nations - BBC and ITV
    Heineken Cup - BT Sport & Channel 4
    ITV Racing - ITV (of course)

Have I missed anything?

icdg wrote: »
    I don’t there’s any thing VM Sport truely have exclusively

UEFA Champions and Europa League - BT Sport
    UEFA Nations League - Sky
    European Qualifiers - ITV & Sky
    Six Nations - BBC and ITV
    Heineken Cup - BT Sport & Channel 4
    ITV Racing - ITV (of course)

Have I missed anything?

... and they expect people to pay €240 a year for the privilege of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

... and they expect people to pay €240 a year for the privilege of it!

Can you imagine what they would be charging if they secured the BT rights. €50 p/m would be likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah really it's to regain anybody who left, what do Eir/Sky customers have that Virgin don't?

Virgin offer better broadband, Eir’s tv box by all accounts is even worse than Virgins.. Virgin basic tv and broadband package combined with a good android box is the way forward..

Should point out of course, that while Sky Sports and Eir Sport customers should have access (inc via FTA channels) to everything VM Sport has, the inverse is most definitely not true:

Virgin Media TV & broadband customers with no access to FTA satellite will, for example be only able to see one Pro 14 and 1-2 Heineken Cup games each week - Eir Sport subscribers will see all games in both competitions along with Premiership Rugby too.

Saturday 5:30pm KOs in the Premier League up to the end of 2018-19 (they are back to the early slot from 2019-20

Allianz League GAA - VM customers can only watch Sunday games on TG4. Only Eir Sport subscribers can watch Saturday matches live.

There’s loads more - for example if you’re a US sports fan then the Eir Sport pack has all the major US and Canadian leagues with the exception of the NFL and MLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alan.p22

So at the end of the day with all of the info available whats it going to cost to watch all of the sport must be100 euro without add ons.A bit mad really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My god; this is laughable. €20 a month via an app for something that is on Eir/BT Sport already? VM are really taking a huge risk with these rights by trying to sell the games to the rest of the country with limited broadband. I would say that the amount of people who have the Eir/BT Sport pack with their pay TV operators that offer it would be very sizeable here. They wouldn't bother taking up the offer from VM for their sports channel as they already have access to the CL/EL and the other games until at least 2019. Then you have the problem of people not able to afford the app subscription because they use FTA, have poor broadband, or in the worst case scenario, not being able to have VM broadband in their area as they live in rural Ireland.

This channel will only benefit people who are with VM for those who want it and nothing more. With the real lack of content available on the new channel; it's really no surprise that Virgin are not offering it with other pay TV operators like what Eir do with their own channel. The reason is that they have a duplication of content that is there to replace their loss with the Eir/BT pack from VM. The former customers who had VM because of having that pack in the first place are not going to be swayed with ever going back to VM whatsoever because they would find much better value with staying with other TV services here. The only reason that I can back this statement up is that Eir/BT offer sports that is of huge variety to their own customers. VM don't have that variety yet and probably never will because they would never be able to afford with gaining more sports viewers & gain new rights for the future because they will simply lose a lot of money and viewers with this channel. All that they are to going to show there is live football that is available elsewhere with no other sports to back it up with the short to medium term. It is a risk that is going to fail and fail badly for VM no matter what way you see it as the eye of the beholder as it will be a commercial failure once it begins in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Did a bit of pricing, at the moment, you can add the eir sport pack of 7 channels ( 5 in HD ) to your Sky tv for €20.41 per month if you pay for full 12 months in advance, or you can currently add 9 Sky sports channels, all in HD, for €20 per month for 6 months ( I'm fairly certain that when the 6 months is up, a deal could be struck to avoid going up to the full price again ). And Virgin want €20 per month for one channel, that's showing nothing, that isn't available elsewhere ? The mind boggles is all I can say.

I don’t think Virgin had thought this one thru.. the loss in viewership away from FTA tv will be so much that ad revenue is going to collapse.

They are probably betting subs of the €20 will make it up but I think they are in for a shock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don’t think Virgin had thought this one thru.. the loss in viewership away from FTA tv will be so much that ad revenue is going to collapse.

They are probably betting subs of the €20 will make it up but I think they are in for a shock!

Yeah unless the 6pm game is the better of the 2 Virgin Media may lose an audience for the FTA game and if RTÉ choose the 6pm game over the 8pm game it also hits Virgin Media One, the 6pm game will also suffer due to fan heading home from work.

Setanta/eir Sport 1 only had a 0.3 to 0.8% share of the audience less than that of RTÉjr, when it was available as part of the basic UPC package. I don't see how Virgin Media Sport will do much better. And I think at the time Setanta 1 had a better line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I hope all these Cable and Phone companies will fall on their backsides, what a greedy bunch they all are, and the people who pay for these services are worse again, everyone needs to cop on and be a bit more wise with there money.
    Let the phone companies concentrate on bringing a top class phone and internet service and let the broadcasters concentrate on TV services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

Makes the TV licence seem like good value, and if the HD/SD playing pitch was levelled, there would be even more sport content fta in HD, as it would be less likely to migrate to TV3/VM1 unless they ponied up for HD bit rate. TG4 should be fta in HD also, the irish language zealots should demand this to incentivise viewers to 'watch' in their national tongue, especially Rugby Beo and the odd good GAA match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

Heres all the details in plain English on the Indo. No more fta CL on Wednesday nights on TV3
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/football-fans-face-paying-over-100-a-month-to-watch-games-37118937.html
    €20 a month to watch exactly one CL match live on Wednesday during CL weeks. That would be 6 match days, and 6 round16/quarters/semis. Thats 12 matches for €240 or €20 per match to watch at home on Wednesday. Go to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

My own parents for example have BT Sport/eir sport through Sky but have a measly 1mb home internet connection thanks to eir still not rolling out broadband.

That's not Eir's fault, that's your parent's fault for building/buying a home in the backarse of nowhere. If the house was built or purchased within the boundaries of a village or town, they would have better broadband.

We have an attitude in this country where people seem to think you can build a home anywhere you like and expect the same services as urban homes, then start blaming the government or private companies for their own lifestyle choices.

One-off housing is very heavily subsidised and you guys should be grateful you even have electricity and a phoneline to begin with because most of yous wouldn't be able to afford the full cost feeding your homes with cables on vis wooden poles and maintenance costs due to storm damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

That's not Eir's fault, that's your parent's fault for building/buying a home in the backarse of nowhere. If the house was built or purchased within the boundaries of a village or town, they would have better broadband.

We have an attitude in this country where people seem to think you can build a home anywhere you like and expect the same services as urban homes, then start blaming the government or private companies for their own lifestyle choices.

One-off housing is very heavily subsidised and you guys should be grateful you even have electricity and a phoneline to begin with because most of yous wouldn't be able to afford the full cost feeding your homes with cables on vis wooden poles and maintenance costs due to storm damage.
    Not always the case. My parents live in w big enough village 8km from one of the big cities and get top download speeds of 5mb. Needless to say virgin broadband isn’t available. Anyway, this thread is about tv3 channels

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

My God, I'm so glad I'm not a sports fan, any of those sports don't bother me at all.
    The money people have to pay is ridiculous, I rather drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

The cost is bad enough but the fragmentation is getting ridiculous. And that's before Amazon's tennis rights really kick in and the Uspga goes off on their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

VM fast becoming as well liked as RTE.

Is there anything stopping them doing the same (¼ FTA, ¾ Pay) with the rugby.

Given that 6N is on BBC ITV, that might look unlikely but after the current deal expires, who knows.

GAA are probably delighted to have another potential bidder for the next contract discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

deezell wrote: »
    Heres all the details in plain English on the Indo. No more fta CL on Wednesday nights on TV3
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/football-fans-face-paying-over-100-a-month-to-watch-games-37118937.html
    €20 a month to watch exactly one CL match live on Wednesday during CL weeks. That would be 6 match days, and 6 round16/quarters/semis. Thats 12 matches for €240 or €20 per match to watch at home on Wednesday. Go to the pub.

Virgin Sport will have 2 matches on Tuesday 6pm (second match pick, with VM1 showing a match at same time) and 8pm (second pick match with RTE having 1st pick), and 2 matches on Wednesday at 6pm and 8pm. Then there's Europa League games - at least 2 every Thursday.

They have every Nations Cup and Euro Qualifiers match apart from ROI ones. There are some pretty good fixtures in the Nations Cup. The first week they could show the following:
    Thursday 6 September
    Germany v France (19:45)

Friday 7 September
    Italy v Poland (19:45)

Saturday 8 September
    Switzerland v Iceland (17:00)
    England v Spain (19:45)
    Northern Ireland v Bosnia and Herzegovina (14:00)

Sunday 9 September
    France v Netherlands (19:45)
    Ukraine v Slovakia (14:00)
    Denmark v Wales (17:00)

Monday 10 September
    Portugal v Italy (19:45)

Tuesday 11 September
    Spain v Croatia (19:45)

The station is 2 months away from broadcasting, yet most are giving out which I find quite ridiculous. When rights come up, then they will challenge for them. There's Eleven Sports who got Serie A and La Liga - could possibly merge with them on that for Irish rights. Then there's those 3pm PL kickoffs, that does not seem to have a particular home for yet on Irish TV.

Advertisement