Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

You have also the fact that VM1 will actually be on channel 3 to add to the confusion.

Yes you are right, that's why TV3 and TG4 (TnaG) should swap around. TG4 rebrand to its original TnaG, please dont say it won't happen, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So TV3/VM is willing to move the second Thursday episode of Emmerdale to 8:30. I find it extraordinary, considering that, although UTV is long gone from cable TV in cities in the Republic (though it's still available on Smyths' cable in Cavan town), many viewers will still be able to watch the ITV Network via a satellite dish or, if they live on the Border or the East Coast, terrestrial overspill.

Emmers wouldn't be the most important of either soap, but Thursday Night News could air At 7:30 or 8:30. Really TV3 will be looking at the audience for News @ 8 on Monday, Wednesday & Friday if they are averaging 150,000+ viewers while also increasing the 5:30 audience and the Tonight show audience it's a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

Elmo wrote: »
    Emmers wouldn't be the most important of either soap, but Thursday Night News could air At 7:30 or 8:30. Really TV3 will be looking at the audience for News @ 8 on Monday, Wednesday & Friday if they are averaging 150,000+ viewers while also increasing the 5:30 audience and the Tonight show audience it's a win.

But wouldn't EastEnders and Fair City be getting more viewers at 8:00 than News @ 8 (which would probably go the same way as Red Rock)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

But wouldn't EastEnders and Fair City be getting more viewers at 8:00 than News @ 8 (which would probably go the same way as Red Rock)?

The 8pm news did well for TV3 in the past.

Yes you are right, that's why TV3 and TG4 (TnaG) should swap around. TG4 rebrand to its original TnaG, please dont say it won't happen, you never know.

It won’t happen. It would cost an absolute fortune to change TG4 name - and honestly there would be no advantage. Your argument doesn’t make sense. In the UK, ITV 1 isn’t on channel 1. Ch4, E4, 4 Seven, bbc4, ITV4, More4, 4 music etc are all over the EPG and people manage.

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    The 8pm news did well for TV3 in the past.

In fairness it didn't as far as I remember it had 25,000 or so viewers.... but good programming sandwiched between Coro Street did well in the past for both UTV Ireland and TV3. With UTV's Majella and Daniel getting over 200,000 viewers. While any special news programme also did well. Both The Pulse and Xpose show that even rubbish can attain over 100,000 viewers in that slot.

Red Rock should have aired at 8 Monday and Friday... but TV3 really had no interest in that show ... eastenders isn't as popular as Coro street

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

That's not Eir's fault, that's your parent's fault for building/buying a home in the backarse of nowhere. If the house was built or purchased within the boundaries of a village or town, they would have better broadband.

We have an attitude in this country where people seem to think you can build a home anywhere you like and expect the same services as urban homes, then start blaming the government or private companies for their own lifestyle choices.

One-off housing is very heavily subsidised and you guys should be grateful you even have electricity and a phoneline to begin with because most of yous wouldn't be able to afford the full cost feeding your homes with cables on vis wooden poles and maintenance costs due to storm damage.

They less than 3 miles between two enabled exchanges either way and have been promised fibre rollout "in 6 months" for the last 4/5 years now with no actual movement. It's not "one off housing" but part of strips just outside the village. I'm not expecting them to send broadband up the Kerry mountains, just a delivery of the plan they've been promising for years now. It's not coming.

Anyway, whatever about the national rollout there's no chance of Virgin ever offering service outside of the major cities. So this service will be of no use either way.

It won’t happen. It would cost an absolute fortune to change TG4 name - and honestly there would be no advantage. Your argument doesn’t make sense. In the UK, ITV 1 isn’t on channel 1. Ch4, E4, 4 Seven, bbc4, ITV4, More4, 4 music etc are all over the EPG and people manage.

Actually, it went back to being known as ITV in 2013!

In fairness it didn't as far as I remember it had 25,000 or so viewers.... but good programming sandwiched between Coro Street did well in the past for both UTV Ireland and TV3. With UTV's Majella and Daniel getting over 200,000 viewers. While any special news programme also did well. Both The Pulse and Xpose show that even rubbish can attain over 100,000 viewers in that slot.

Red Rock should have aired at 8 Monday and Friday... but TV3 really had no interest in that show ... eastenders isn't as popular as Coro street

Red Rock is similar to EastEnders in terms of storylines. Therefore, it's viewer demographic is probably similar. Bear in mind that the BBC broadcasts Red Rock on weekday afternoons. Therefore, Red Rock doesn't clash with EastEnders in the UK. So why should they clash with each other in the Republic?

Red Rock is similar to EastEnders in terms of storylines. Therefore, it's viewer demographic is probably similar. Bear in mind that the BBC broadcasts Red Rock on weekday afternoons. Therefore, Red Rock doesn't clash with EastEnders in the UK. So why should they clash with each other in the Republic?

It can clash because Eastenders is not as popular, TV3 have a +1, an omnibus edition and a repeat at 10:30 on be3 or 3e. Sandwiching it between coronation street is a much better usbof the show.

• Advertisement

It can clash because Eastenders is not as popular, TV3 have a +1, an omnibus edition and a repeat at 10:30 on be3 or 3e. Sandwiching it between coronation street is a much better usbof the show.

TV3+1 isn't available on Saorview. EastEnders may not be as popular as Coronation St in the Republic but it probably still gets more viewers than Red Rock. If more people wanted to watch Red Rock, they'd watch it, regardless of which peak-time slot it was on.

Actually, it went back to being known as ITV in 2013!

Good comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It would be a massive waste of money if it happened.

Most viewers in the Republic will probably still refer to VM1 as "TV3" - just like it many viewers in Britain probably still refer to ITV as "Granada" in Manchester or "HTV" in Wales.

TV3+1 isn't available on Saorview. EastEnders may not be as popular as Coronation St in the Republic but it probably still gets more viewers than Red Rock. If more people wanted to watch Red Rock, they'd watch it, regardless of which peak-time slot it was on.

But all of the other channels are, I am not saying that Red Rock in its current or previous schedules has acheived the popularity of EastEnders but TV3/UTV Ireland both were able to over take EastEnders when other better programming was available. I'd imagine Coro Street viewers would happily stick to TV3 and watch RTÉ ONE +1 at 9 for EastEnders. Choice!
    Most viewers in the Republic will probably still refer to VM1 as "TV3" - just like it many viewers in Britain probably still refer to ITV as "Granada" in Manchester or "HTV" in Wales.

Like a lot of people called NETWORK 2 RTÉ2 and the same people now call it NETWORK2!!!

I wonder if be3 didn’t show the repeats of Corrie/emmerdale after the 10pm news, would the ratings on tv3 be much higher. I know in my parents case, they stopped watching them on tv3 and started watching them on be3 instead - especially this time of the year. VM are doing themselves no favours by repeating so much. They dilute the audience figures that they could achieve

I wonder if be3 didn’t show the repeats of Corrie/emmerdale after the 10pm news, would the ratings on tv3 be much higher. I know in my parents case, they stopped watching them on tv3 and started watching them on be3 instead - especially this time of the year. VM are doing themselves no favours by repeating so much. They dilute the audience figures that they could achieve

suppose they look at it as their audience Coro St helps both be3 and TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Virgin Media could lose ITV programmes in long-running dispute

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jul/26/virgin-media-could-lose-itv-programmes-in-long-running-dispute

This may have a huge effect if Virgin Media fail to sort out their dispute with ITV. It's unsure whether it affects the Irish rights, but if they stripped out most of their programmes from TV3, 3e and be3 or VM1-3, then they would be in serious trouble. I'd say about 70% of their programming is from ITV across the 3 channels.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Virgin Media could lose ITV programmes in long-running dispute

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jul/26/virgin-media-could-lose-itv-programmes-in-long-running-dispute

This may have a huge effect if Virgin Media fail to sort out their dispute with ITV. It's unsure whether it affects the Irish rights, but if they stripped out most of their programmes from TV3, 3e and be3 or VM1-3, then they would be in serious trouble. I'd say about 70% of their programming is from ITV across the 3 channels.

TV3/Virgin Media Television signed a 10 year contract for ITV programming on the takeover of UTV Ireland/be3/Virgin Media THREE

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yeah, it’s about the carriage of ITV’s digital channels in the U.K., doesn’t affect the seperate programme supply deal with TV3 which was part of the sale of the station to VM.

• Advertisement

Yeah that’s nothing to do with TV3/3e/Be3. It looks like VM customers in the U.K. are getting a bad deal with VM - and after losing 10 channels last weekend

Cool, would ITV3 and ITV4 be under threat though on VM Ireland if something did happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

3e are repeating this years BGT again. This is really cheap and tacky scheduling. This really is just scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's nearly as bad as repeating Ireland AM on Be3 after it has been on TV3. So at Christmas I take it they'll run Love Island.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Cool, would ITV3 and ITV4 be under threat though on VM Ireland if something did happen?

Yes yet no chance of Sky Atlantic on Virgin Media in RoI.

zeebre12 wrote: »
    3e are repeating this years BGT again. This is really cheap and tacky scheduling. This really is just scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's nearly as bad as repeating Ireland AM on Be3 after it has been on TV3. So at Christmas I take it they'll run Love Island.

It really is. They repeat it again the following Saturday afternoon, along with the spin-off More Talent. The series only finished 6 weeks ago. They're repeating Ant & Decs SNT as well on Saturday evenings. I'm hoping they're clearing the crap out and we'll get a complete revamp when VM2 is launched.

The Saturday AM and Sunday AM repeats on be3 are just as ridiculous, a full 3 hour repeat between 1pm-4pm, including all news and sport. Why can't anyone just edit the show to just half an hour, if at all. On be3 on a Saturday you have Emmerdale on from 9.30am, and then Sat AM from 1pm. That's 6 and a half hours dedicated to 2 programmes.

Yes yet no chance of Sky Atlantic on Virgin Media in RoI.

...or on Virgin Media in the UK either!

I’m not really sure what that has to do with this thread to be honest and in any case the ITV/VM U.K. dispute, which Elmo seemed to be referring to, was resolved within hours of it becoming public. It was never really relevant to this thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

The right thing to do is scrap 3e and be3 altogether, just have the one service and in full glorious HD (TV3/VM) and cut the nonsense. Believe me its a matter of time when at least one or both of these channels will go.

The right thing to do is scrap 3e and be3 altogether, just have the one service and in full glorious HD (TV3/VM) and cut the nonsense. Believe me its a matter of time when at least one or both of these channels will go.

Whereas I completely agree with you, I can’t see 3e going anywhere. For the nonsense they put on it, it does ok with the ratings. Be3 on the other hand, should be scrapped. For a channel that is aimed at the female audience, they are failing miserably. I can honestly say , I would watch the first 10 mins of the 7pm or 10pm news if there was a story I wanted to watch but other than that, I scroll straight past the channel. There is so so many avenues they could take that wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg but they don’t seem bothered

• Advertisement

The problem is that having ended ITV as a presence in the Irish market (bar FTA satellite), TV3 have been under some pressure to serve long time ITV viewers with their programmes. Be3 provides a second option for TV3 to show ITV programmes where the main channel is showing Irish made programmes or sport, while 3e shows a good deal of ITV2’s first run shows.

Advertisement